Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

400 watt Electronic ballast Q's

where is the best place to get a totally ready to run 400W dual e-ballast setup?

How does this price compare to DIY and where would be the best place to start on this?

I have an electrician friend that said it may be cheaper to get something plug-and-play, but from reading most of this thread over the past couple of days, I think he may be mistaken.

If someone could point me in the right direction as to where to get all of the parts he could wire it up for me.

thanks in advance.
Old 01/03/2008, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Bump for the evening crowd... someone has to have some good info on this.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

I dont know of any DIY electronic ballast kits. You can get parts piece-meal or in kits for magnetic ballasts, but for electronics I would think that you would have to completely source the parts from scratch if you could get a hold of a schematic or "borrow" the design from a manufacturer that includes the shcematic with the paperwork when one buys a plug and play ballast.

In other words, you would be much better served to buy an electronic ballast that is ready to go.

I dont know of any dual 400 watt electronic ballasts for halides.
Sunlight supply has the Galaxy 400 watt MH ballast. Icecap makes one. Blueline has a 400 watt electronic ballast. Not sure about PFO. I'm sure there are some others. There may be a dual 400 watt as well, but I dont know of any. Maybe somebody else does.
Old 01/03/2008, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

thank you,

I have been doing some research and haven't been able to find a 400 watt dual e-ballast setup. does anyone know why this is?
Old 01/03/2008, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

If no one knows then...does anyone know where to get the best value for the single setups such as the ones DarG mentioned above.
Old 01/03/2008, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

aquacave or reef exotic. get the LB reflectors
Old 01/03/2008, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Fortay
If no one knows then...does anyone know where to get the best value for the single setups such as the ones DarG mentioned above.
I found these a while back. Hello Lights doesnt sell the ARO 400 watt electronic ballasts, but these look exactly like ARO ballasts. ARO electronic ballasts are good. I have used the 250 and 175 watt ballasts and have had no issues with either. I cant say for sure that they are ARO's but again, they sure look exactly like them.

http://www.affordablelighting.com/400elb.html
Old 01/03/2008, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Do you think wiring that $99 ballast with all required wiring, and a proper box to mount it in would be cheaper to do than a $219.95 retro w/ reflector, bulb, mogul, and all required wiring included?

sorry about the long question/run on sentence.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Well, first I wouldnt mount that ballast in a box. I generally just mount them on a board with a sheet of aluminum over the board (which does help wick some of the heat away). They dont get super hot but it's a self contained unit and there really isnt any reason to put them in a box which will just make them run hotter.

The only wiring is a power cord and plug and either a wiring harness that plugs up with the reflectors or 3 seperate wires that can be had for cheap from home depot to wire up the socket and a ground to the reflector.

If you dont have any of the lighting equipment yet then the retro package will be the better deal if it comes with a ballast too. But what type of reflector is included and does it come with a ballast?
Old 01/03/2008, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

yes, kit comes with 400W E-Ballast, Spider Reflector, Mogul, Power Cords (approx. 10') with connectors, 400W Lamp. You can upgrade to different reflectors if you please, but the spider is the only one that will fit inside my standard canopy. might even see if i can go with a common flat 48" reflector so that I can fit some T5s in there also.
Old 01/04/2008, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

Well, if you dont have any of your lighting components right now I would think that the kit for 219 bucks is the way to go since you get everything you need. I dont think that you can put everything together piece meal buying everything seperate even with the ballast being only 99 bucks. Obviously you wont get the best bulb or best reflector but if all you can fit is the spider reflector then that's all you can fit. You can always upgrade the bulb when you have the money or when it's time for replacement. Seems like the complete kit will be cheaper overall.
Old 01/04/2008, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

Pacific Garden Supply

Pacific Garden Supply distributes Lumatek and Icecap Electronic ballasts.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

I actually think that I am going to go with a straight polished aluminum 48" reflector because I need to be able to fit some t5s in there as well.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Fortay
I actually think that I am going to go with a straight polished aluminum 48" reflector because I need to be able to fit some t5s in there as well.
It'll work. Not unlike what Hamilton does with their combo lighting hoods. Not the best way to reflect halides, but it works. I would still use the SLR or TEK or other individual clip on reflector on the T5's.