Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2007, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

If you follow the correct order of adjustment, the only thing you might have to adjust weekly is the air input.
But now I know where the spot is, so I don't adjust anymore.
Old 12/13/2007, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

I have 6 big morays in my system over 3 feet long. They each get
2 or 3 whole sardines [5-6 inches long] or 2 or 3 whole squid about every 10 days. I rotate the feeding so 2 get fed at a time. If frying a few pork chops will shut your skimmer down for 12-18 hours, just imagine what happens when you feed 6 oily sardines or squid . I am looking into an MRC commercial skimmer. My EV 2000 simply cannot cope with such extreme food additions to the tank. Total gal of system is about 2000. I may just buy new Eheim pumps for my old ER CS 12-2. I really wish I had done that instead of buying the EV 2000. Right now it's producing some foam but it's time to feed some silversides to the puffers and lions and then the cycle starts again. Also, comparing EV 240's or 400's to an EV 2000 is like apples to oranges. Adjustments that work on the smaller ones for others dont necessarilly work on the 2000. The 2000 is just not the right skimmer for my system.
Old 12/13/2007, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

Rippys Big reef - What pump are you running? Can you get some pics of the skimmer in action?

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 12/15/2007, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

gcarroll, have you hooked up the calcium reactor yet? i'm thinking about getting one.
Old 12/15/2007, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

Rippys Bid Reef, I have ev-400 for 4 months now. I had gone through those adjustments for like 2 months. I was really frustrated like you. Foam good/flood/not foam at all ..that's what happened to me but the thing is I tried adjusted the skimmer almost everyday. Then I went out of town for 2 weeks. 2 weeks that I didn't touch the skimmer and when I came back it worked better than ever and no more adjustment. I just don't understand why. Maybe "leave it be" is the key for this skimmer ..

Do you run carbon at all?
Old 12/15/2007, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

The pump is the recomended iwaki 100 rlt. I will send some pics of my system soon. I do run carbon and have for 6 years on the system. I am not running ozone thru it. I let it run for 2 weeks recently without touching it, feeding only pellet food, not feeding the eels. It worked OK, recovering after feeding after several hours. Then I fed the eels and after 3 days without touching it the skimmer never recovered, there were no bubbles in the tower let alone foam. I had to go from the normal full open on the gate valve to about 1/2 closed to bring the bubbles up. Then it started producing nice foam. In the morning the 5 gal drain bucket was overflowing and I had to open the gate back to the normal full open.I am not going to touch it again. I modified the sump and squeezed my old ER skimmer in with the EV2000. As I said, the system had been running for years using two ER skimmers in the sump and they worked great except the Sedra pumps were a lot of trouble. I think the skimmer would be OK for a fish only tank tank that is fed normally. The old ER skimmers kept on cranking no matter what food went in the tank and I have had eels in the system since day one.
Old 12/17/2007, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by empireinc00
gcarroll, have you hooked up the calcium reactor yet? i'm thinking about getting one.
Oh yeah! It working great. Measured the effluent at 53 DKH this weekend. That is some serious output.

Rippys Big reef - get those pics up. need pics with foam, without foam, and with the air valves and JG fittings closed.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 12/20/2007, 11:28 PM
Jammin' with live rock

I've been wanting to see pic's of an ev2000 for a long time.

Old 12/23/2007, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Anyone think a EV-180 with a Eheim 1262 would be good for a 150gal LPS type tank?

My EV-180 seems to be fine on my 120gal

I will also be adding a 75gal sump/refuge to my new tank also.
Also planning on running ozone.

Or would I need to jump up to a EV-240
I am trying to limit my power consumption.
Old 12/23/2007, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

Well, I've been struggling with my EV 120 now for a week. It was running great for a few months, then it suddenly just stopped skimming. I cleaned the injector and the air valve...cleaned the pump but now it's been a few days and it still won't make foam. These things are so frustrating.....

Oops, my Premium Membership ran out...
Old 01/04/2008, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

just got the eheim 1262 for my ev180. I can already notice a difference, but I have a few questions:

1) is it better with a 1" injector on this pump?
2) my water level is quite a bit above the black box, with the gate valve wide open; how can I lower it--or should I
3) can I remove the gate valve (since it's wide open anyways) and place a larger (1") 90 in its place?
4) any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old 01/04/2008, 07:32 AM
Registered Member

just got the eheim 1262 for my ev180. I can already notice a difference, but I have a few questions:

1) is it better with a 1" injector on this pump?
2) my water level is quite a bit above the black box, with the gate valve wide open; how can I lower it--or should I?
3) can I remove the gate valve (since it's wide open anyways) and place a larger (1") 90 in its place?
4) any other suggestions?

Thanks