Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

So did the maker's of the Magfloat say that this has happened before? Is it specific to the JBJ glass? What will you use instead of a magfloat?

FYI - my replacement tank should be here tomorrow. My original arrived chipped.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdokos
So did the maker's of the Magfloat say that this has happened before? Is it specific to the JBJ glass? What will you use instead of a magfloat?

FYI - my replacement tank should be here tomorrow. My original arrived chipped.
To be quite honest the problem is not inherent to just the JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube HQI Aquarium. I have done some research on the Internet and various Nano Reef Aquarium forums and discovered the same issue with Red Sea Max, Current USA Aquapod and Finnix Aquariums. I'm gathering that it's just the power of the magnet in relation to the thickness of the glass that would cause this problem. I personally am going to go with a hight end Algae Magnet Cleaner that is safe for Acrylic use to ensure that I don't have a repeat episode of scratching and eventually loose my mind. :-) I'm leaning toward Algae Free or the Magnavore but haven't really made a complete decision.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:09 AM
Genuine reef addict

That is indeed a bummer on the glass being scratched. What brand of mag cleaner was it? I've not seen anything like that on on my RSM tank using a Mag-Float made for glass. The fact that Transworld Aquatic Enterprises Inc. (which I think is the same as JBJ?) is sending a new tank almost sound like they're admitting they may have had a bad batch of glass.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

New LPS Coral Frag Addition.

On Saturday, December 29, 2007 I purchased a Coral Frag of Acanthastrea Lordhowensis from NaCl-H20 of the Manhattan Reefs Forum. It was dripped acclimated over a period of 2 hours and allowed 1 week before being photographed. It is my first every LPS Coral from Australia and I have been providing it with extra attention and some tender loving care since it was the smallest piece left from the fragging of the colony.

Photograph - Completed mounting the Coral Specimen: Acanthastrea Lordhowensis to a Boston AquaFarms Reef Disc. Photograph taken Saturday December 22, 2007.

Photograph - Coral Specimen: Acanthastrea Lordhowensis after a little over one week in my Nano Reef Aquarium.
Photograph - Completed mounting the Coral Specimen: Acanthastrea Lordhowensis to a Boston AquaFarms Reef Disc. Photograph taken Saturday December 22, 2007.

Coral Family: Mussidea
Coral Genus: Acanthastrea
Common Name: Acanthastrea Lordhowensis
Common Morphologies: Encrusting
Origin: Pacific Ocean
Acquired: Saturday, December 22, 2007
Lighting Requirements: Moderate to high. Metal Halide Lighting is suggested. These are Shallow Reef Corals so their tolerance to light will vary.
Flow Requirements: Moderate flow. Australian Acans do best under medium flow. Medium flow is considered flow that will not disturb the coral or cause the flesh to peel off.
Availability: Low.
Growth: Growth rate increases when feeding, light and flow requirements are met. If you allow this coral to be exclusively photosynthetic then growth will be slower.
Difficulty: Moderate.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
That is indeed a bummer on the glass being scratched. What brand of mag cleaner was it? I've not seen anything like that on on my RSM tank using a Mag-Float made for glass. The fact that Transworld Aquatic Enterprises Inc. (which I think is the same as JBJ?) is sending a new tank almost sound like they're admitting they may have had a bad batch of glass.
Reefmack, I cannot say that they are indeed advising that they had a batch of Aquarium Glass but I am grateful that they are sending me a replacement which is something that they definitely did not have to do since the it was a standard Mag-Float that caused the damage. But I have heard of this happening to other manufacturers of Nano Aquariums so I would have to say that it may not be the glass itself but rather the power of the Magnet Cleaner to the thickness of the glass.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:49 AM
Genuine reef addict

Thanks Jasonanatal. I know you said searching indicated it wasn't just JBJ but other tanks as well. Maybe they all get a bad batch at times? I guess we'll never know for sure. I have put a small single scratch or two in my RSM, but that was from picking up a piece of substrate getting too close to the bottom - that can happen even with the acrylic scrapers. Your "scratch pictures" really did indicate something other than picking up a piece of substrate or a small snail - I'd never seen that degree of scratching before. It's a hassle, but at least you're getting a replacement - that's good customer satisfaction!
Old 01/04/2008, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
Thanks Jasonanatal. I know you said searching indicated it wasn't just JBJ but other tanks as well. Maybe they all get a bad batch at times? I guess we'll never know for sure. I have put a small single scratch or two in my RSM, but that was from picking up a piece of substrate getting too close to the bottom - that can happen even with the acrylic scrapers. Your "scratch pictures" really did indicate something other than picking up a piece of substrate or a small snail - I'd never seen that degree of scratching before. It's a hassle, but at least you're getting a replacement - that's good customer satisfaction!
Reefmack, I couldn't agree with you more. :-)
Old 01/07/2008, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

So any word on the replacement? Also, what are you going to do with the tank you've got setup? I'm assuming you're not required to send that tank back. With the scratches, maybe a QT tank or a type of fuge.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:51 AM
Registered Member

Out with the Old In with In with the New: Elos & LaMotte Test Kits.

In my quest to achieve a striving Nano Reef Aquarium my philosophy mainly revolves around among the belief that you get back what you put into it. Now there is much debate on the accuracy of more expensive Liquid Test Kits in comparison to the less expensive and more accessible brands and this post does not provide any type of scientific information to back my particular opinion on why I choose these companies/test kits over their less expensive competitors. Both companies caught my eye since do to their use in very large and captivating Aquariums of other members of various online communities as well as the companies guidelines as to the preperation, storage and eventually sale of these quality items. Both Elos and LaMotte take pride and care in extensively documentating the shelf life and batch numbers for each test kit as my previous test kit Aquarium Pharmeceuticals Incoporated did none of that. And if a company can take the time to document even the most miniscul item then they definitely have my attention. (My wife being Italian and subecting my to the quality foods, drinks and culture of Italians had nothing to do with me selecting the Elos Liquid Test Kits).

Photograph - My new Elos Expert Line Liquid Test Kit for Phosphate (PO4) and pH. Photograph taken Friday, January 04, 2008.

Photograph - My new LaMotte Liquid Test Kits for Alkalinity (dKH) and Calcium (CA). Photograph taken Friday, January 04, 2008.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:18 AM
Premium Member

LaMotte Test Kits are the way to go.

Marty
Old 01/09/2008, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

Hi Jasonanatal

Thanks for the great thread especially for beginners into Reef.
I pick up a lot of good info.

Keep us to up to date.

I will bookmark this.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Love the tank.How long have you had it running for now?
Old 01/11/2008, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

Hi Jason,

Quick question - I am setting up my chiller this weekend. Same as yours the JBJ 1/15. I plan to put it on a MJ 1200. I couldn't find gph recommendations in the product doc. Do you think this will work okay? Are you running off of the stock pump?

Thanks,