Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Great idea. What keyword do I find the iv lines with pinch roller on ebay? I couldn't find it. Would you PM me the link to the item you bought on ebay?
Old 12/31/2007, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

Nice idea thanks for sharing.
Old 12/31/2007, 03:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SimilanRocks
Great idea. What keyword do I find the iv lines with pinch roller on ebay? I couldn't find it. Would you PM me the link to the item you bought on ebay?
hey Ergin, nice setup. I like these tom pumps a lot. obviously a dosing pump is a lot easier to work with but if you have more time than money, like me, these things are very promising. your tank looks stunning BTW showoff. I am using a Neptune, which is a lot of money, but in the long run I think is cheaper and will definitely cut down on clutter.

MD has those IV things, from Kent under the aquadose line
Old 12/31/2007, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

I'm going to try with air valve that I already have first. It's something anybody can pick up from LFS. The only problem is the pressure may slip the valve off the tube? RO flow restrictor may work too. I will the alternatives and post some results.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Just wanted to share the result. I got the aqualifter today and did some test with air valve.

It can control the dose rate to very low. I'm adjusting to 3 ml/min. The low rate will help a lot with pH spike. I tested it many times and the rate is very stable. I'm sure the pump will loose suction overtime and need to adjust later, just like other dosing pump.

I put the air valve to the line IN, so it does not slip. If you put it on the line OUT, the pressure may slip the tube... and overdose.

The problem I found with air valve is it also sucks some air through the threads. Plumbing tape can easily fix that.

The solution level in the gallon bottle, full to almost empty, makes the rate 10% different.

Total cost of a set, aqualifter, timer, tube and airvalve is about $30
Old 01/03/2008, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Watch the aqualifter systems real close. They WILL drift over time and skew your chemistry. The only way to make them work long term is to use a check valve and timer that will go down to seconds rather than minutes. With the right timer you can make them as acurate as a litermeter with no pinch valves or air line valves to clog.

Don
Old 01/03/2008, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

The aqualifter rated 3.5g/minute. That's about 220ml/second. It is going to crash your tank using aqualifter to dose with no restrictor.

I have never seen a timer that will do seconds, it may be expensive that we may be better buy a real doser?
Old 01/03/2008, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
The aqualifter rated 3.5g/minute. That's about 220ml/second. It is going to crash your tank using aqualifter to dose with no restrictor.

I have never seen a timer that will do seconds, it may be expensive that we may be better buy a real doser?

I use aqualifters and can dose 1 drop an hour or 1 drop a day if I so choose. I run them wide open with exception of a single jg check valve in each hose. I use a timer that times down to 1/60th of a second on up to hours. Ive been testing dosing systems with aqualifters for well over three years. The only one that worked long term was the one I just described and has been running for over two yeas now flawlessly.

Don
Old 01/03/2008, 09:52 PM
Premium Member

well where do we find this timer?
Old 01/03/2008, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

[Sorry, commercial posts are not allowed.]

Last edited by bertoni; 01/03/2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:57 PM
Premium Member

Don, do you use the pre-filters? I always wondered if I really needed them, but I only used my Aqualifters for a couple days when this summer when I was not here.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fraggle Rock2
Don, do you use the pre-filters? I always wondered if I really needed them, but I only used my Aqualifters for a couple days when this summer when I was not here.
Nope no filters for two part. I keep the hose 1/2" off the bottom so any undisolved crud will stay in the jug.

Don
Old 01/03/2008, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

So it's programable timer. That will be good combo with the aqualifter. Sounds like it will be very close to litermeter with out the auto calibration. Would you PM me the cost?
Old 01/03/2008, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
So it's programable timer. That will be good combo with the aqualifter. Sounds like it will be very close to litermeter with out the auto calibration. Would you PM me the cost?
Yes pretty much. Just check your flow rate at your head. I use a syringe with ml marks and a stop watch. Once you have the ml/min flow rate for your head height through the check valve it easy to set the timing.

Don
Old 01/04/2008, 02:32 AM
Registered Member

Looking at doing this with my setup. Thanks for the info OP and DonW! Maybe we can get a list of parts needed?
Old 01/04/2008, 06:38 AM
Premium Member

Well im off on that 20 day vacation i was mentioning. I will be back home Jan 16 so i guess ill post my results then and see if my chemistry is still stable. Its a good experiment...
Old 01/04/2008, 03:10 PM
Premium Member

Don... you can PM can't you?
Old 01/04/2008, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jennmac415
Don... you can PM can't you?
I dont see why not.

Don
Old 01/04/2008, 06:05 PM
Premium Member

well, could you pm what kind of timer it is? Thanks!