Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Photoperiod for new Pheonix 150w 14k lamps

I just replaced my old lamps with 2x150w 14k Pheonix lamps. My old lamps were a year old and were on an 8 hour photoperiod. I will not be screening the top of the tank to acclimate the corals to the new light. Would a 4-5 hour a day PP for the first week be OK? I would tack on a hour a week til I hit the 8 hour mark. Any thoughts or help appreciated. Thanks, Mile.
Old 01/03/2008, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

it depends on the bulbs you were using, but 5-6 hours at first might not hurt depending on what you have in the tank.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:16 PM
Premium Member

I have placed new corals under intense halides for up to 4 hours with no problems, beyond that you might see some scorching.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

The original lamps were Sunpak 14k's that came with my Sunpod fixture. My tank is SPS dominant, mid to top and LPS on the sand bed. I think I will start with 5hrs a day for the first week and go from there.

Thanks guys.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Any other recommendations?
Old 01/04/2008, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smatter
I have placed new corals under intense halides for up to 4 hours with no problems, beyond that you might see some scorching.
Me too. I've always started with 4 hours and increase 1/2 hr every 2 weeks until I return back to my original photo period with my old bulbs. You can also wait until 15 to 18 months before replacing MH bulbs
Old 01/04/2008, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, no1fishman. I wanted to change lamps to get better PAR and coloration. Right now they are blue/white. After they burn in for 100 hrs, I'll know if I should keep them or try the AB 10k's.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:46 PM
Premium Member

The AB 10k is one of the best bulb out there IMO.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

smatter, I agree with you on the AB lamp, but I run MH only so I was concerned about the color. I was trying to avoid a yellowish looking tank. The ballast in my fixture is an M81. I looked on Sanjay's site and it seems to have some nice spikes in the 420-440 nm range. Its also a 13k lamp unshielded (DE). When shielded it is a 10k+ lamp.
Old 01/06/2008, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

I have used that bulb for 10 years with outstanding results supplemented and stand alone. To my eye it appears crisp white and the spike in the 420nm range gives it nice purpley hints. It is a well made, long lasting, and tried and true bulb. When it first came out years ago people thought it was too blue, imagine that. I am not into the deep blue abyss look so I stay away from the 20ks and the ever popular Phoenix bulbs. Currently I am using a Giesemann Coral bulb that I got for doing some work and it seems like a really nice bulb. I have no supplemental actinics. There are no corals in the tank yet, that will be the true test. If it does not work I will go back to my old friend the AB 10k.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

smatter, thanks for the reply based from exp. I'm not into those blue tanks either. The pheonix seems ok for nownot too blue but the AB may be the next choice.