Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Coast of CA Reefkeepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

OT: Fishing

Where does everyone like to Ocean Fish? Where are some good spots to try? Thanks for your inputs.
Old 12/30/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

people like to float tube off of goleta beach by UCSB. Lots of halibut.

When I was younger we used to fish off the pismo pier, calico bass and thresher shark! but I havent been up there in ten years.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Your in the service you so you have access to Point Sal. There are a lot
of sand perch over there. The public can't go there at the moment. There is a spot there over some cliffs or hills that has a ton of nice perch. Surf you get us in there and I could show you where the secret fishing spot is at.

Did you hear about an incident that happened about 1 year ago about some people fishing there and the military police showed up with a boat, helicopter and several patrol cars. Well that was my brother and
brother in-law that they went to get cause they were fishing there. Some cop sprained his ankle and he had to be airlifted out of there. They just gave them a warning not to go back. ROTF......

We would drive to the gate where its locked off and we would ride our Quads up the point sal. Then you have to hike down to the beach. Pretty nice fishing trip I might add.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:34 PM
Moved On

Night fishing of Gaviota Pier always seems to work for me.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

A lot of my buddys go to the Beach House here on base. If you need the key to get in I can get it for you to borrow.
Old 12/31/2007, 02:24 AM
Registered Member

Wow! That's a lot of inputs. Thanks guys. Mike, I've fished the Boathouse a couple of times, with little luck. I haven't branched out to many other areas of the base though. Point Sal sounds like a nice little trip. Mike, maybe we can organize a fishing trip/club meeting at some point. We can get the guys on base and all head out. I'm going out tomorrow, so I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again for the replies.

Tim
Old 12/31/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SurfnFish
Wow! That's a lot of inputs. Thanks guys. Mike, I've fished the Boathouse a couple of times, with little luck. I haven't branched out to many other areas of the base though. Point Sal sounds like a nice little trip. Mike, maybe we can organize a fishing trip/club meeting at some point. We can get the guys on base and all head out. I'm going out tomorrow, so I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again for the replies.

Tim
Hey Surf if you wouldn't mind and if you could get me in I'd love to go fishing with you tomorrow. Let me know man, I'm in Santa Maria and I have all the gear needed.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

Oh man..I wish I would have checked this earlier. I went out today, and ended up going towards point Sal. Caught 1 perch! I'm def. interested in going again though at some point. When I get another chance, I'll let you know, and we can head out.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SurfnFish
Oh man..I wish I would have checked this earlier. I went out today, and ended up going towards point Sal. Caught 1 perch! I'm def. interested in going again though at some point. When I get another chance, I'll let you know, and we can head out.
No problem Surf..... I wouldn't of made it anyways.... One hell of a hang over, slept in till after noon. Maybe some other time we could go do some perch fishing.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:52 PM
Premium Member

If you want Perch, check out surf beach or Jalama. Use small palstic grubs in motor oil color on 10lb bass gear. Great fun! They are some big perch at Jalama.

-Larry
Old 01/02/2008, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Larry- Where have you been? You still giving reefing a break?
Old 01/02/2008, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Punk
If you want Perch, check out surf beach or Jalama. Use small palstic grubs in motor oil color on 10lb bass gear. Great fun! They are some big perch at Jalama.

-Larry
Might have to try it out there some time. Any place in particular thats good? I've never been to Jalama Beach.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:06 PM
Premium Member

I have been around, been really into duck hunting this season. I am still with out a tank, and I am enjoying the freedom! If any one wants to get togther and go fish Jalama let me know. I can show you technique.

-larry
Old 01/04/2008, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Punk
I have been around, been really into duck hunting this season. I am still with out a tank, and I am enjoying the freedom! If any one wants to get togther and go fish Jalama let me know. I can show you technique.

-larry
Whats your secret technique and where in jalama do you fish? If you don't mind sharing in case I ever decided to go out there.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

Well I start with a light 10lb spinning outfit, and use a 7'-8' rod. To the mainline I put a 1/4-1/2oz slider depending on how big the surf is. Then i tie a barrell swivel. I then tie a 5'-6' foot section of 8 or 10lb line then tie a #2or 4 worm style hook(like you would use for plastic worms for largemouth bass fishing). Then I take a1 3/4" cruly tail grup, usually start with motor oil w/silver flake and thread on hook. I pinch off 1/2 the tail(prevents short biters). I start right on the front of the beach and just start casting behind the waves slowly working the grup in. I look for holes and rips where the perch like to lay, I just keep casting and walking down (or up) the beach untill I find the schools of perch. The perch move constantly but once you find them you can usually stick with them. Also be prepared to catch a halibut or 2, especially if you get around rocks and sand. I have caught many keeper halibut this way. Perch will get up to 3lbs and are a balst on the light outfit.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

You've caught halibut at Jalama? Nice!
Old 01/05/2008, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

Jalama and Cojo have lots of halibut. Just look for where there are rocks and flat sandy areas. The halibut lay near the rocks on the sand to pick off prey. They orient to the structure, most people think they lay out in the wide falt sand flats, but there is no food out there for them. They do go onto the shallow flats though to breed and lay eggs.