Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Frag Tank Build!

Alright so I've got my final two choices down for the Frag Tank I will be setting up, and would like to know which you would choose and why!

Option 1:

Custom GlassCages 36"x8"x8" rimless tank with a 36" 2x39w T5 HO fixture (possibly a 4x39w fixture, not sure yet, would that be overkill?)

OR

Option 2:

GlassCages 18"x18"x8" Coral Tank with a 175w 10k HQI MH / 2 x 18w Actinic fixture.

Each tank is going to be hooked up to a fuge and will have 2 pumps on timers. The tanks lighting cycle will be a 6 on 6 off style to get two light cycles per day.

Let me know what you think as the order will be placed tomorrow!
Old 01/02/2008, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

I like the second one lol but I would wait for others to add lol
Old 01/02/2008, 09:42 PM
Unregistered Member

I would not want an 18 inch frag tank-I also would not want an 8 inch wide frag tank. JMHO and I would look further or make your own
Old 01/02/2008, 09:46 PM
Unregistered Member

did you mean 36x18x8???
Old 01/02/2008, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

lol geeze phil lol knock me down a little more lol JK like I said "wait for others to add" lol
Old 01/02/2008, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

No 8" wide is correct, its easier to light, I dont need tons of space and it stays down to 10gallons which i like.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:46 PM
Unregistered Member

It is your frag tank and not mine. When I had one I would have not wanted an 8in wide tank. JMHO and good luck with your choice
Old 01/02/2008, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

thanks. what do you think about the lightings though
Old 01/02/2008, 11:32 PM
Unregistered Member

I would work out the best tank dimensions for a 400W SE-XM 20K M59 with a lumenarc mini for best color and growth on a 8 inch deep tank. JMHO and good luck in your decision.
Old 01/03/2008, 06:01 AM
Registered Member

Alright well I actually am going with option one only slightly modified and with the 4 bulb fixture.

The tank will be 36"x10"x8" and will have a center glass overflow. The overflow will drain directly into a mag 9.5pump which will be directed towards the sqwd then towards both upper corners for flow. The overflow itself will have a foam mesh at the bottom and will be lightly filled with cheato. I drew up the tank on sketch pad, my first time, to give you an idea what it would look like.

The tank will be mounted on the wall and will have a cover for the bottom plumbing.

The white line in the middle of the tank is where the eggcrate will be, and underneath that is 3 inches of space for live rock rubble. I was also considering going with a 2" sandbed of some fine white sand instead of the eggcrate, i could stick the plugs in the sand. What do you think?

Ordering today
Old 01/03/2008, 08:28 AM
Premium Member

I would not use a squid. I bought one and had it on my 75. I had a standard megaflow drain and had a mag 12 running full boar on it I would say that it cut the flow in half from the mag 12. it just produces so much head pressure. plus mine froze up all the time.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Don't even do the overflow box. Just pop the pump into the tank and go from there. No need to drill and 100 times easyer to do... I would incorporate a small skimmer into that plan...

BK

Albert Einstein
Old 01/04/2008, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

I think with the pump mounted like that you will have problems with air bubbles from the pump sucking air.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:07 PM
I'm not scared, Are you??

You ask and you shall receive, I'd go 36 length x 24 width x 10 hight 24 inches in width would be my bare minium. I'd go 100% with the T5 lighting. You can & will have a larger field of light par's with T5's. I'd go somewhere between 5-8 bulbs this away you can mix and match bulb colors/par's to gain max growth for corals + less heat issue's than MH. I think the eggcrate would be fine or the sand. I'd agree with Schplitter and add a skimmer to it, and for best coral growth a Calcium reactor too.

What we have hear....Is failure to communicate.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Alright, I have changed my plan COMPLETLY, nothing is the same in this new design. I know people will have negative thoughts about it but I am in love with it.

The tank will be about 22" x 18" x 10" so it gives me more space to work with. The catch is it will be entirly enclosed in a "bedside" table. The "table" will measure 26"x26"x20" and will have a 20"x15" viewing window on top. Lighting will be one 150w DE HQI for now, but I plan on adding some T5's later down the road when I have the money. The lighting will be in the back of the "table" and will be angled to shine on the tank. Filter for now will only consist of a HOB style fuge full of chaeto and will recieve its light from the MH also. I will also run carbon and phos. in TLF reactors. My main way to keep the tank clean will be weekly water changes with a special pump and plumbing to make that easy, just plug in and the water will drain.

Here are a few pics to help you get the idea. Lighting should be here mid next week and the tank/table will be completed tomorrow most likely.

Notice the viewing window isnt centered, its to allow the light to be out of view. The viewing window will be acrylic and will be easily removable to access the frags without having to open up the table.

I just think it will be a very cool way to have a frag tank, and it will sit next to my bed down at mizzou.

Most of the information I borrowed from this tank, it will give you a better idea of what Im doing, just on a smaller scale.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1020163
Old 01/09/2008, 10:59 PM
The Man

That looks pretty neat. How are you going to keep it cool?
Old 01/10/2008, 05:23 AM
Registered Member

There will be fans blowing in and out of the box
Old 01/10/2008, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

Way to think in and out of the box Jarob!!

If I didn't someone else would have
Old 01/10/2008, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

The heat from the light ill be way too close and way too much for a box design. Having the light shining from one side will give you frags that are clolored on one side and brown or dead on the other.

I would go with something like this :

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...9&pcatid=15489

It looks cool and you can use it as a regular light. No heat issues...

Albert Einstein