Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

20 20 - you should see a rust tinted cloud around the dinos when you turn off the circulation. it's a very delicate cloud and as soon as you blow at it even a little bit it disintegrates.

At the end of the battle I did have dinos that would not blow off. It was the short thin hairs like yours and stuck to the bare bottom and the panes of the tank. Some of it stuck to the pointed branches of my birdsnest. It was the last of the dinos to go probably about week 5 or 6 of dosing zeovit is when I noticed that stuff finally dying off.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

20 20 that doesnt sound like dinos your dealing with.

when i got home tonight after a normal light cycle it wasnt too bad, maybe half as bad as it was the last time i ran a full day of lighting.

if i cut all circulation i get the cloud of floating white stringy nasty stuff floating around the tank.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:56 PM
Premium Member

How long after I turn off the circulation should I see this cloud?

Ain't Zeovit expeeeeensive?
Old 01/02/2008, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

- the stuff reproduces incredibly fast, you should be able to see growth within 5 minutes without circulation to break it up

- I know you're just being humorous but honestly I don't know where that belief comes from that zeovit is expensive, I have an 85g system I'm dosing it on and I only dose like 1 - 3 drops of the additives and not even everyday - IME, now if you have a 500g tank that's a different story but then again EVERYTHING is expensive in that range
Old 01/02/2008, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

Zoom,

I feel your pain.

Keep up the fight you will find something that works!!

Good luck

GER
Old 01/02/2008, 09:49 PM
Red Bug Survivor 2006

I think I've got them under control. I haven't seen any in some time. Just an occasional air bubbles here and there on the LR. I haven't done a WC in a month and it's killing me.

Everything's going so well right now (no dinos, SPS growing and showing good color) but I hate not doing a water change. Should I hold off?

Click on the red house to view my build thread
Old 01/02/2008, 11:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldeneyeRet
Zoom,

I feel your pain.

Keep up the fight you will find something that works!!

Good luck

GER
Old 01/03/2008, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

Turned off all pumps, 15 minutes later still no 'cloud', rusty or white or any other color. Is this a 'definative' test to see if it's dino's? I wouldn't think so, but I figured I'd ask.