Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

Auto Top Off Help requested PLZ

I am trying to develop a water top off system and would like some pointers.
Startinig with the RO/DI unit...
I understand its best to run lots of water through the RO unit apposed to on and off for small amounts of water.
So I want to use a 55 gallon drum (plastic) to hold ro/di water. I would like to use something like a reef fanatic level controller ( Reef Fanatic controller ) to allow water from the RO unit to pump into the drum when its almost empty and stop when the drum is almost full.- Not sure how to rig float switches (or what kind) in the barrels I have, I need some with lids not bug hole screw on caps. I am also wondering where in my tiny house to keep a 55 gallon barre so I may opt for something smaller.

moving on to the sump...
I would then like to get the water from the 55 gallon storage container to my kalk reactor and have it controlled to top off when the level in the sump gets to the low point.
*this has me a little stumped.
I have a cole palmer dosing pump and a kangaroo medical doser but im not real educated on thier operations. I know people use the liter meter for this and have good results.
I assume I will need another float system in the sump to allow the kalk reactor to relieve and top off, a timer for the kalk reactor to mix every so often, and some way to get ro water to the reactor.
I know someone here has this exact sytem for an ATO and there are probably many ways I can accomplish the task.
I need some help.

ideas or advice?
I understand the concept, Im just not sure what products will help me achieve the results I am wanting.
I need to top off about 4-5 gallons a day.
The bucket drip technique is getting old after all these years.

I am only using the kalk reactor to compliment my CA reactor and help keep ph in check. I will probably have to dial my Ca reactor back once this system is up and going as I dont have a real high CA demand right now.

Looking forward to input and feedback
Old 01/02/2008, 10:24 PM
Never Satisfied

just get an RO/DI unit with an auto-shut off valve.. then you can put a float valve (not float switch) in the reservoir. when the reservoir is empty... turn the ro unit on... and you can go to work or out for the nite and it will shut off when the reservoir is full. (then i would manually shut off the RO unit until the reservoir is low again... like you said.. you dont want an RO unit on/off/on/off... you will get TDS creep that way)

in the sump.. set up the reef fanatic ATO controller... it has two floats... one for low and one for high (overfill fail-safe)

the ATO controller will turn the top off pump on and off as needed.... the top off pump will pull water from the reservoir and push it through the k-reactor and stop as the float on the ATO determines.

to protect against kalk overdose.. i'd get a reversed SM122 milwaukee pH controller, or a Pinpoint pH controller, or an AC3... set any of them at 8.5 to shut off kalk when the tank pH reaches that point.

dosing pump plugs into ATO... ATO plugs into pH controller... pH controller plugs into the wall
Old 01/02/2008, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

ok... thats a start but i dont want to turn on the RO system when water levels are low in the storage tank. I am bad about keeping salt in my softener, dont need another thing to check if I I can avoid it.

I have a Pinpoint PH monitor for the CA reactor now, so thats covered.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

Bump for the day...
I need more ideas. Id like to try to have this functional before the weekend is over.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

you could use an electronic valve on the rodi.
you would still need to use a float valve set at the level of the rodi storage container, then you can add an electronic valve with a power open setting, then you can plug that into a timer to run every other day or to run 2-3 hours a day or whatever you need. so the timer will open the valve, and if the container is already full the float valve will keep it shut off no matter what the electronic valve is doing