Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 01:23 PM
I like sticks in my tank

Why is the bottom pane on tanks recessed?

Can anyone tell me why manufacturers recess the bottom pane? Every tank I've ever owned has been recessed about a 1/4" or so. Is it simply to accommodate the trim or is there another reason?
Old 01/02/2008, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

ive wondered the same :0
Old 01/02/2008, 03:01 PM
Premium Member

It's to prevent the bottom from touching the surface that will hold the tank. Essentially, any small irregularity in the surface would put pinpoint pressure on the glass, and cause it to break at the point of contact. I't's far safer to have the sides of the tank support the weight of the tank than have the entire weight of the tank rest on the bottom pane.

That said, many advocate a foam insert under the tank to support the bottom, but have the flexibility to accomodate any irregularities. A popular material is 1/2 inch foam insulating sheets aquired at your local home center. They are used to insulate under siding. you can get them in differing thicknesses, but 1/2 should be all you need. You just don't want the thickness to be too thick so the sides don't touch the support surface. (does that make sense?). What I mean is that the edges of thebottom need to touch as well as the bottom of the tank.

Hope this helps.
Old 01/02/2008, 03:34 PM
...da Purple People Eater

I agree with Dogstar. The bottom glass will also flex a very small amount with all the weight resting on it.

However, some people store smaller tanks on metal stands that support the edges of the tank and not the complete bottom surface.

LeeMar builds their tanks with a 1/8" trim on the bottom. Then they use 1/8" whiteboard to fill that gap. In other words the tank is seemless on the bottom.

I called LeeMat to inquire about removing the whiteboard and replacing it with foam. They suggested not to do so, thus stating that the tank is prepped and ready to be installed on virtually any stand, whether it be a metal frame, or a wood stand with a platform for resting the tank on.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:28 AM
I like sticks in my tank

Woo-hoo! I'm going to be making my next tank...140 cube (36x36x25).

Thanks for the advice above. So I'm going to recess the bottom pane.

Related question...why do some tanks (ie. glass cages) add the strips of glass around the bottom perimeter of their tanks? Should I consider this? I've seen many people DIY a similar setup without adding these supports. It seems to me that adding them wouldn't really do much, if anything.