Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

Finally started my prop tank build 30x30x14

Well, after slowly collecting pieces for 6 or 7 months, I'm finally ready so start my prop tank build.

The tank is 30x30x14 acrylic and was built by John at FAOIS with a center rear overflow.

Most of the other equipment were items that I had left over from other projects, purchases from local reefers, trades for coral, etc.

Equipment includes:
Tank
Current 150W 14K pendant w/lunar lights in the rim
Euro Reef skimmer
Tunze nanostream
Pacific coast edjuctors
Mag 7 return

This system is simple with focus on expandability and easy equipment upgrades as money allows.

I will be using some cheap rubbermaids for a sump and seperate fuge. I still need to add foam and build the wood frame to sit between the tank and the cinderblocks (I know I'm cheap LOL, but I will add a fascia soon enough and the block will let me rearrange everything if needed down the line).

Whats nice about the area im setting the tank up in is that it is basically a mini hallway that we never use so I will be able to access the tank both from my master bedroom and from my den. I have about 8 ft of length so If I want I can easily add another tank or 2.

The theme will be a tidepool style set-up and I will be proping and growing out corals on fragstations instead of just eggcrate to give it more of a true display look.

Now for basic pics, keep in mind today is the first day I began laying out equipment.

Old 01/01/2008, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

Wow really nice. Looks like you are all set and now comes the fun part.
Old 01/01/2008, 07:02 PM
Patient Reefer

Shouldn't the acrylic tank have full support underneath???
Old 01/01/2008, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I still need to add foam and build the wood frame to sit between the tank and the cinderblocks
The frame will be done next weekend hopefully.

I also havent drilled any bulkhead holes either. Those are really the only two things I need to do before I add water.
Old 01/01/2008, 07:20 PM
Patient Reefer

Oops, I missed that!
Old 01/01/2008, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

LOL, dont feel bad, I just caught a PM from a friend who was asking me what the heck I was doing LOL.

At RC, we are too intersted in pictures to read the print. I'm guilty.
Old 01/01/2008, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

nice looking setup,do you think the 150w can cover the tank good enough?i kind of think you will need 2 of those lights to get full coverage.
Old 01/01/2008, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

I think that the 1 150W should be fine, the tank is only 30x30 and I really only need closer to 20-24 inches of intense light ( I can keep lower light stuff around the edges. The reflector is over 10" wide so its not a big stretch to assume I can get 20" spread out of it.

Also, the tank depth is only 14" and with the overflow teeth, it is really only 13" of water so the light doesnt have to travel far at all.

Quote:
think you will need 2 of those lights to get full coverage.
FWIW, I do have two of the pendants LOL, but the positioning would look off. I bought the lights from marinedepot on sale for something rediculous like 140 each so I bought two. If I do end up needing more light, I will move up to a single 250.

I may use the other 150 over the fuge or keep it as a spare.
Old 01/01/2008, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

i hope that is not your front door. lol

looks good.

What are you going to be driving the penductors (or what ever they are called). I thought those had to be high pressure, is that true? That is a good idea though...

(ah, mag 7....)

I Brake for FRAGS!
Tampa Bay Reef Club
Old 01/01/2008, 08:43 PM
Premium Member

no, its not my front door LOL. We have an older house (circa 1960) and when it was remodeled, they basically added another half to the house. The small hallway you see leads from my master bedroom to the den (the master bath is on the otherside of the righthand wall). They should have just made the bath bigger and ditched the "shortcut hall", but since it is there and we dont use it, I figured it would make a good mini fish room. I will enclose the front portion of the stand and do all of my maint from the back by going through the door from my master.

The edjuctors work best with a high pressure pump, but in my case they should work fine because I only plan on having 400-500 gal/hr or so push through my system max. If I run the mag 7 at 3ft head with the edjuctors, I should be right on target. I dont want any more than 500gph max running through the sump since the total tank volume is only around 55 gal. I have a new nanostream and a used one of I need any more in tank movement
Old 01/04/2008, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

finally the tank is off the floor.. LOL.....
Old 01/04/2008, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

Dont laugh Adam, I'm gonna make you come over and help me drill for bulkheads, plumb everything and fill w/water!
Old 01/05/2008, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

thats fine. as long as i get a piece of what goes
Old 01/05/2008, 08:12 PM
Premium Member

I'll toss you some hand me downs Adam LOL!

I'll be working on the undertank platform tomorrow hopefully and will post some pics when finished.