Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

SPS Very Near Surface

I've got a couple of questions regarding a recent move I made with some of my SPS. I made this move to bring my SPS and T. Croceas closer to my lights. My lighting is a Sunlight Supply, Tek5, 6 bulb T5 HO unit.
I acquired a huge piece of live rock, which enabled me to build my live rock up higher in my tank. I also did some re-arranging to make more room for coral growth. In the process of all this adding and aquascaping, I moved some of my SPS up very high. In fact, I now have a Purple Monti Digitata, a Purple Rimmed Monti Cap. and an Orange Monti Cap. very near the surface, within about 2 inches.
My question is, what will happen to these corals as they continue to grow? All 2 of these corals are growing quite quickly. Will they stop growing upwards as they hit the surface and start growing our instead? As they get closer to the surface, do I need to lower them?
Any and all suggestions or comments are welcome. I will try and get some pics posted but leave town tomorrow so we'll see how much time I have. Thanks all!!
Old 01/01/2008, 09:45 AM
SPS Kibitzer

when they get where they are ready to break the surface it's time to trim them back and make some nice frags out of them for fellow hobbyist or trading, I am sure somebody else will chime in that knows exactly what will happen.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

LOL Speaking of nice frags, I've got about 8 frags of the Purple Digitata that range from 2-4" and all have several branches, and I've got 6 small frags of the Purple Rimmed Cap that are all about 1". Dang those things are fragile when re-arranging rockwork...lol.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:05 AM
SPS Kibitzer

yeah they are, sounds like your gonna have some more on the way too! LOL!
Old 01/01/2008, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Well, I end up accidentally fragging the Digitata just about every time my arms in the tank...lol. That's alright, it's growing like a weed!!
Old 01/01/2008, 10:27 AM
SPS Kibitzer

that's a good thing, sparks new growth
Old 01/01/2008, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

From the pics I've seen they seem to flatten and spread out at the surface (no perosnal experience here). Obviously they cannot grow out of the water. MAybe a touch if there is turbulance to keep it wet.
Old 01/02/2008, 07:59 AM
Registered Member

we have a nice ORA tort reaching about 1/2" from the top, and a couple others getting pretty close.

I would move the caps down, they will grow out very nice and block all your light to anything below!