Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 04:10 AM
Registered Member

pump ideas

I have two mag 18's. It's time to change them for something that runs cooler. Any idaes? Has to be internal/external. Must be quiet and pump at least 1000 gph @ 6 feet.

Lucky
Old 12/30/2007, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

bump
Old 12/30/2007, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

oceanrunner 6500
Old 12/30/2007, 11:27 AM
sweeeet!!

Has to be internal or external?? Internal pumps are simply going to heat the water more than external. You want quiet?? Sequence all the way!!

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for!!!
Old 12/31/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kdblove_99
oceanrunner 6500
Hi, thanks for the info. This oceanrunner 6500 is not going to make much heat is it? also are they quiet?

Lucky
Old 12/31/2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr James
Has to be internal or external?? Internal pumps are simply going to heat the water more than external. You want quiet?? Sequence all the way!!
Yes it has too be internal and/or external. Why is because I want to put them in place of my mag.'s. They are "IN" my sump but elavated so that they are "out" of the water.(for heat control) but incase of power failer or whatever they are "under water". This works good for several reasons. One being that they never need primed and (most importantly to me) keeps me from having to drill my sump for external only pumps.
This set up has and still works out great, But my mag pumps are getting old and I'm ready to try something new that will produce less heat right out of the box. IME mag's offer awsome dependability but the heat has to be better with the new tecnoligy going into the pumps now.
You mention "sequence" I assume they are quiet, but can they be internal as well as external?

Lucky
Old 12/31/2007, 11:47 AM
Generic Member

Mag pumps are water cooled as are all internal pumps. They heat the water regardless of being submerged or not. If you want to reduce heat, an external air cooled pump is the way to go.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

My OR3500 creates little to no heat and it silent
Old 12/31/2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm817
Mag pumps are water cooled as are all internal pumps. They heat the water regardless of being submerged or not. If you want to reduce heat, an external air cooled pump is the way to go.
I use caution in asking this, because it has many years since I've been in the "pump market". But when I was... Finding a external pump that could pump 1-2 thousand GPH did not exist. Although, You could get external pump close but they were very loud. not something the wife would talerate in the living room.
is there a single, quiet external pump that could meet tha 2,000 gph @ 6 feet that my two mag's are doing now?

Lucky
Old 12/31/2007, 01:39 PM
Generic Member

1000 - 2000 GPH from an external is very easy these days. Take a look at the Sequence Reeflo line of pumps.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

sjm817:

I'll check them out. Thanks
I'm going to try a search... do you know any links? incase I can't find them?

Again thanks, Have a safe new yr.

Lucky
Old 12/31/2007, 02:05 PM
Generic Member

I think this is the main site:
http://www.reeflopumps.com/

Many vendors carry them. I think a tarpon would be a good model, but I would check with them and see what they recommend for your application.
Old 12/31/2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Ok found them.

Can you turn them down any? if it pumps 3000 gph and I close my intake valve a little to restrict it. would this cause the pump to work to hard hence getting it to hot?

Lucky
Old 12/31/2007, 02:26 PM
Generic Member

Yes, you can turn them down. You do it on the output side, not intake. The pump will flow less, use less power and run cooler when throttled back.
Old 12/31/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Ok I read up on them... I think I might try one of these? One sure thing about it is that with only one I will cut my wattage in half
(actually by near 2/3 less with the tarpon). This could pay off within a year...
Thanks friend

Lucky
Old 12/31/2007, 03:31 PM
Generic Member

Glad to help. Sumbersibles have their place, but once you move into a larger pump, you are better off with an external. In case you didn't know, you will need to drill the sump and put in a bulkhead.

Happy New Year!
Old 12/31/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Yeah...
For years I have refused to drill anything because you never know when things may change.... And if your not careful before you know it you'll have holes in everything (turnng it to junk)

But this could be ok, it is the sump and with what I have learned about external technoligy it will be ok... After all it will only get better.

I talked with a sales tech. about these pumps and he thinks I should use the dart or the baricuda. If I do this will give me twice the flow through my sump which is good. My sump can handle it but he brought up a good issue,MICRO BUBBLES. I have seen these posts on here but never paid them any attention since I've never had to deal with them. I assume they are easy to deal with just throw some bulk filter fiber it there to break/trap them up?

anyone following this thread have ideas about this or that can confirm that these pumps are quiet enough to keep a wife happy while she sits in the living room?

Lucky
Old 12/31/2007, 07:51 PM
Generic Member

I'm not a high sump flow person. Microbubbles are one of the issues it causes. How big is the sump?
Old 12/31/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

the sump is 25"wide 20"deep and 36"long (45gal.)
It has a chamber for bio-balls but they were replaced when the live rock method swept the hobby Thats it. 3/4 of the sump is open for a fuge or what ever. I just have the two mag's there and my skimmer.
Real simple set up no high tech stuff. The added flow would be good but I have vortech's so the extra is not a need.

Lucky
Old 12/31/2007, 08:07 PM
Generic Member

No way would I use a big pump with a 45G sump. I would think you would have some serious problems with a single mag18, never mind two of them. There must be something limiting the flow. How are they plumbed?
Old 12/31/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

when I got the tank I orderd the small sump so it would fit under the tank (it sits in the middle of the livingroom) since it was so small they gave it oversized overflows so that I could have a flow rate of 15X through my sump. I would never do that but in a fish only set up it would be great. but not for my soft corals. It si nice to have the option though.

One of the mags goes through a chem. chamber that holds carbon then to the right return.
The other runs through a uv sterilizer and in to the left return.

The skimmer is seperate and powers itself.

I still have the plate with a million holes in it where the bio-balls were But it can come out.

Years ago when I only had fish I had 3000 gal. flowing through the sump and by looking at the lines it was only at 50% of its full ability. But I had the bio-balls in then and micro bubles were non existant (mostly due to the balls) Then the flow was excellent for detrius. I was and am real happy with the little sumps ability but in this situation I can see a lot of caution being needed, This is why I had asked if I can control the out put of these pumps.

I hope your not confused with what I have for a set up?

Lucky
Old 12/31/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

oh yes the mag's both have a 3/4" to 1" adapter on them and run 1" clear through to the tank

Lucky
Old 12/31/2007, 09:25 PM
Generic Member

You are right about the confusion! I dont know what to tell you. 3000 GPH through a 45G sump is something I would never do. I'd want maybe 500 GPH. I dont know how much actual flow you are getting from the Mags with them being restricted with 1" plumbing and going through media filter and UV.
Old 12/31/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

lol... Hard to say? they also measure 6 feet from pump head to the end of intake so I just figured them to be 1000 gph each (per the manual).
If I had a camera I'd take a pic and post it then it would fall into place.
That is what I had to do when I originaly converted from fish to reef. because then my sump flow was to high for coral so I slowed the filteration down and increased the tank current.

But you have been a great help and I thank you for it as well as your time.

Lucky
Old 12/31/2007, 09:41 PM
Generic Member

The flow for a mag is based on 1.5" plumbing. It is quite a bit less with 1" plumbing.