Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Magnetic vs. Electronic MH Ballasts

I'm trying to justify to myself the advantages of changing over my magnetic ballasts to electronic ballasts??? I'm currently planning a new setup and currently already have dual 250w PFO magnetic ballasts which I had intended to switch over and use on my new setup, but curious would there be any real advantage for spending more money to buy the electronic ballasts? Would it allow me to run a wider range of bulbs? Would the energy savings actually outweigh the intial cost?
Old 12/31/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

You can run any bulb on electronic, you would not be able to do that on magnetic
Old 12/31/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Electronic ballasts are not all that expensive. You can pic up some used ones for cheap too. What wattage are you looking for?
Old 12/31/2007, 01:52 PM
Jammin' with live rock

Hello.

I feel an electronic ballast upgrade is worth it when a desired bulb won't fire correctly on the existing ballast. I own probe, pulse, hqi, and electronic ballasts.
Old 12/31/2007, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

Chris,

I just ordered 4 X 400w Lumatek E-Ballasts. E-Ballasts are electronic ballasts with a built in processor. Don't know what this does though. I am uncertain if electronic ballasts actually extend the life of bulbs but that is what they market. I did this without RC advice. Trying to get someone here to "validate" my purchase.

250W Lumateks are available from Marine Depot and Pacific Garden Supply. Their marketing says they are the most efficient electronic ballast on the market. In addition the output cable is shielded apparently eliminating RF interence with TV's, radios and pH meters...reportedly common without shielding.
Old 12/31/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

I'm looking to use 250w fixtures over the new setup. I guess my choice of wording was kind of poor, meaning I know they aren't that more expensive, but being that I already have the magnetics just trying to justify them collecting dust. Can someone advice which bulbs other than DE bulbs and Radiums that might have issues firing on a magnetic ballast? I've also heard Ushio might have issues.

Thanks Marsh.....I did ee the Lumateks a couple days ago on Marine Depots' site, is there any reviews on them supporting their claim to be the most efficient?
Old 12/31/2007, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chriscobb
Thanks Marsh.....I did ee the Lumateks a couple days ago on Marine Depots' site, is there any reviews on them supporting their claim to be the most efficient?
No I have not seen any independant reviews just Lumatek's brochures....I am a sucker for marketing I guess. However Pacific Garden Supply are offering Lumatek ballasts along with their Lumenarc reflectors. My thoughts are that they must be a very decent product if PGS is offering them. Also many horticulture enthusists (aka potheads) seem to like them. Sure wish Sanjay would review these and other "E-Ballasts".

I am also awaiting the arrival of a Quantum PAR meter...I'll see how the ballasts works with 20k Radiums and 14k Reeflux.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

They did peak my interests the other day I saw them on Marine Depot.....Do you have a good pic of them and what's their size?