Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2007, 04:13 PM
Premiun Member

This thread brought tears to my eyes....
Very beautiful tank. Nice work to the whole team that made it possible.
Old 12/28/2007, 04:13 PM

Thanks Scott. That makes a lot of sense. I couldn't figure out how the overflow was handling all of that surge from the video posted.

You show in your sig. that you will be doing a starfire tank. Will that be a hybrid starfire & acrylic tank, or just straight starfire?
Old 12/28/2007, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Just wanted to say this is an amazing tank, one of the best setups I have seen.

I have a few questions, when the SPS out grows this tank where does it go? Dose St Jude have a frag tank, or does it get donated? or sold?

Also is this tank mostly SPS? what % would you say is?

again what a great job...
Old 12/29/2007, 01:34 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by geraldwhite

I have a few questions, when the SPS out grows this tank where does it go? Dose St Jude have a frag tank, or does it get donated? or sold?

Also is this tank mostly SPS? what % would you say is?

again what a great job...
its a mix of all types of corals but at least 60% sps right now. wehn the corals get to big they will be used to start another tank there at st judes or will be donated to other places that have tank like st judes does. they have 2 tanks there they can use for coral frags and grow out tanks. in the future i think they will put in other big tanks that will need corals in them.
Old 12/29/2007, 01:36 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe

You show in your sig. that you will be doing a starfire tank. Will that be a hybrid starfire & acrylic tank, or just straight starfire?
right now im in a holding pattern on my own personal tank. but i want to build a hibreed tank with pvc and starfire. i have all the means to build it but i just have to find the time to do it. there is other more pressing things right now then my new 300g tank. plus i have to wait until all the corals grow out in the st judes tank so i can get some frags back. i donated my entire tank full of corals to st judes.
Old 12/29/2007, 02:57 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info!

Nuther question, if you would be so kind..

I'm confused by several references to "tides" I don't see the 'level' of this tank actually changing appreciably in a cyclical manner so I am not understanding the 'tide' reference. How does the surge capability => tides?
Old 12/29/2007, 12:46 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by kcress
Thanks for the info!

Nuther question, if you would be so kind..

I'm confused by several references to "tides" I don't see the 'level' of this tank actually changing appreciably in a cyclical manner so I am not understanding the 'tide' reference. How does the surge capability => tides?
when the tides in the ocean are high there is alot more water movment in and around the corals. during low tide the water movment is alot less but there is still water movment. we tried to simulate that the best we can.
it really does not have anything to do with water levels. its just the higher flow during those times of the day.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
right now im in a holding pattern on my own personal tank. but i want to build a hibreed tank with pvc and starfire. i have all the means to build it but i just have to find the time to do it. there is other more pressing things right now then my new 300g tank. plus i have to wait until all the corals grow out in the st judes tank so i can get some frags back. i donated my entire tank full of corals to st judes.
Very cool. I have been contemplating an acrylic tank with a starfire viewing pane. I just want to see if any builders are looking into this. Those PVC & starfire tanks really are sweet, but I think a glass tank of that size would be a bit risky here in the NW.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:49 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Very cool. I have been contemplating an acrylic tank with a starfire viewing pane. I just want to see if any builders are looking into this. Those PVC & starfire tanks really are sweet, but I think a glass tank of that size would be a bit risky here in the NW.
yes i can see where you would worry with all the quakes. im not sure about how well the bond would be with acrylic to glass. it would take years of testing to find out if it could be done and what the limits are.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:53 PM

Well, I want to do it. I am thinking that some intermediate material that bonds well with acrylic and glass would be the way to go. The real question is how much of the earthquake risk is mitigated and is it worth it?
Old 12/29/2007, 08:51 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Well, I want to do it. I am thinking that some intermediate material that bonds well with acrylic and glass would be the way to go. The real question is how much of the earthquake risk is mitigated and is it worth it?
if you frame the top and bottom in aluminum and then have ti rino lined it would keep the stress from the tremmors from breaking the seams apart. the only problem is the stress on the front pannel of glass. if it is stressed from corner to corner it might split the glass down the front.
considering the area you live in and the amount of tremmors that happen every year it might not be a good idea to experment with a tank that large. you could consider using a smaller test tank to see how it goes with the tremmors andthe ramp it up later if it works well.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:17 PM

yeah I know what you mean, but a small one is no real test for a large one. I either have to bite the bullet or forget it. I see people installing glass in cement tanks all the time, so perhaps there is a lesson or two to be learned from them.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:28 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
yeah I know what you mean, but a small one is no real test for a large one. I either have to bite the bullet or forget it. I see people installing glass in cement tanks all the time, so perhaps there is a lesson or two to be learned from them.
yes but that is a totaly different concept. the glass floats in the cement rebates. the water pressure basicly holds the seal and the glass floats in the rebates. the tank can take alot more stress with out he glass suffering any stress on it. unless you want to build a concrete tank than i would stick with the acrylic tanks and get rid of the vortec pumps.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:07 AM

I was thinking that slots could be installed in the acrylic tank to accept the glass. But I understand what you are saying. I just think it's worth looking into.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:12 AM
DIY Junkie

what would the benefit be jonathan? You would still have crazing problems if using the vortechs, and acyrlic is almost as clear as starphire, isn't it? I understand your earthquake worries, but i think you'd be better iff just having a new tank made completely of acrylic only thicker material than the one that is currently crazing. Just my thought
Old 12/30/2007, 01:18 AM

has zero to do with the crazing. that's not what I am interested in. What I want in my next tank is a viewing pane that doesn't scratch so easily. I love the starfire and PVC tanks. But I think it would be more earthquake safe to have an acrylic tank with a starfire viewing "window". It's just an idea I have been interested in pursuing, and I am so sorry about derailing this fine thread.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:20 AM
DIY Junkie

You should start a new thread to discuss this further
Old 12/30/2007, 01:28 AM

I would, but it's rare to get Scott's attention! I talked to James at Envision about it a bit but he said although he's thought about it, he hasn't tried it yet. He also suggested trying it on a smaller tank...I guess these guys just don't think like I do.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:34 AM
DIY Junkie

Old 12/30/2007, 10:00 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
I would, but it's rare to get Scott's attention! I talked to James at Envision about it a bit but he said although he's thought about it, he hasn't tried it yet. He also suggested trying it on a smaller tank...I guess these guys just don't think like I do.
start another thread and send me a link to it. i will give you some of the design ideas i have that might/might not work with an acrylic glass tank.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:26 PM

Done.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1282409
Old 12/31/2007, 09:02 AM
WTMRAC President/Thug

Hey Jerry,
Like Scott said, I want to donate frags to other projects like this. I know that I had to buy most of the corals for our tank and hated to do it but they money had to be spent. I hope that by my initial investment that other (less fortunate/funded) projects can benefit. St Jude has a modest budget for the tank and wherever I can I cut cost so the money can be recycled into patient care and other places. What I'm really hoping to do is make the tanks that we have fully self sufficent and have absolutely no budget alloted from St Jude. I plan on having a frag swap here in Memphis in the near future where I can sell the frags to pay for the tanks consumables, fish, and more coral. St Jude will spare no expense in the care of their patients, and these tanks are one aspect that they recognize as a major contributor to their recovery. I know that every time I go down to visit the tanks I spend maybe 10-15 minutes actually maintaining the tanks and another hour talking to patients anmd parents about the livestock, their behavior, and the overall astetics of the aquariums. Many times I hear the parents saying something to the effect of , "Once we're done with treatment we'll come out and visit the fishie's. I promise."
Old 12/31/2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

You guys should have told us you footed the bill for the corals. By the way the tank got filled up all at once I thought you guys had plenty of donations.
If you need more frags, I'm willing to send some.
Old 12/31/2007, 10:46 AM
WTMRAC President/Thug

Quote:
Originally posted by grallster
You guys should have told us you footed the bill for the corals. By the way the tank got filled up all at once I thought you guys had plenty of donations.
If you need more frags, I'm willing to send some.
I think I asked for donations earlier in the post. The tank got filled up all at once because the bigwigs wanted it ready and "fantastic" on opening day. I donated everything out of my tank and Scott did the same. I had the donations from some of our club members ready and the rest was made up from what I bought (90%).
I'm always happy to accept more donations of coral from anyone. This is basically a community tank that I would like everyone to feel that they took part in. St Jude sends out "Thank you" letters for dontions so there's a little bit of braging rights for anyone wishing to contribute.
Old 12/31/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Anything in particular you need?