Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sfsuphysics
Made in China, patents apparently don't apply there

I'm curious I heard a rumor that some of the (used to be) higher quality "german" type products were being manufactured in China, Eheim was one at the time, it wasn't too long until knock offs hit the shelves, I wonder if Tunze did the same thing at all, or if this was a straight reverse engineering gig.
I have heard over and over about parts of tunzes being made in china. Though, they are just random bits of info out of experienced reefers mouths. Could just be gossip.
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics
Old 12/27/2007, 10:54 PM
no time for spell check!

can you pull that pump apart and take a pic of all the parts disassembled please.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:45 PM
SWFMAS President

striking resemblance to a tunze pump, and multi controller... wonder how it holds up.

QUOTE by deschlayer:
I don't want real life lighting...I want better! Nature/god never grew a 400 pound pumpkin, man did.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:55 PM
no time for spell check!

becasue if the huge increase the the price of the tunze streams lately i think this company will do well if there pumps hold up to the test of time. it does not say if the controller comes with the pump or if it is seperate. also there is no information about hooking multipal units together like the tunzes. if there controller is not like the tunze controller i bet neptune systems will build a controller to work with them.

also im wondering about the polario pumps? does anyone know when they will be available? i wold love to try one of those on a tank. they would be great on a closed loop system.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:58 PM
SWFMAS President

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
if there controller is not like the tunze controller i bet neptune systems will build a controller to work with them.
jeovanni will probably beat curt @ neptune to it. he did the vortech to aquasurf mod.

QUOTE by deschlayer:
I don't want real life lighting...I want better! Nature/god never grew a 400 pound pumpkin, man did.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:03 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by wizsmaster
jeovanni will probably beat curt @ neptune to it. he did the vortech to aquasurf mod.
it really does not matter who makes it as long as there is advancments to the designs whick hleps the hobby advance. i hope they both come out with controllers. that way there is compitition. that makes the products better and cost less. i have a feeling that tunze will end up lowering there prices some time in the future as more of these pumps come to the market.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

The controller will controlle 2 pumps. My controller will be here any day now so I can do some testing with it. I have been told by someone I cant say that these pumps work with Tunze controller. I am also looking at using y adaptors with the x-wave controller to see if I can use it on more then 2 pumps.

So far the pumps are holding up very good no heat issues so far.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:03 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeftoker
The controller will controlle 2 pumps. My controller will be here any day now so I can do some testing with it. I have been told by someone I cant say that these pumps work with Tunze controller. I am also looking at using y adaptors with the x-wave controller to see if I can use it on more then 2 pumps.

So far the pumps are holding up very good no heat issues so far.
so the controller is sold seperate? how much is the controller cost? i didnt see them on the custom aquatics web site.
is there any noise? do you feel there comparable to the tunze pumps in there design/durability?
Old 12/31/2007, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

Spazz
The controller runs about 160.00
As far as the pumps performance I think the x-wave out performs my 6100 by far. It has more water flow so I would have to say it is in between the 6100 and the 6200. The design of the pumps seems quiet good. It is just a quiet as the tunze and stay the same temp. It does run on less watts compaired to the 6100. The driver box is nicer then the old tunze with 2 seperate pieces. The flow adjustment is a switch with setting from 0-5 where the tuze uses the cheap small screw that strips out real quick and you can never find your small screw driver to change the settings. as far as durability only time will tell but so far I am very impressed
Old 12/31/2007, 12:26 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Spazz
The controller runs about 160.00
As far as the pumps performance I think the x-wave out performs my 6100 by far. It has more water flow so I would have to say it is in between the 6100 and the 6200. The design of the pumps seems quiet good. It is just a quiet as the tunze and stay the same temp. It does run on less watts compaired to the 6100. The driver box is nicer then the old tunze with 2 seperate pieces. The flow adjustment is a switch with setting from 0-5 where the tuze uses the cheap small screw that strips out real quick and you can never find your small screw driver to change the settings. as far as durability only time will tell but so far I am very impressed
this is good to know. i know a couple of guys that will be getting a couple of these for there tanks.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:30 AM
no time for spell check!

sorry for all the question but im really interested in these pumps.

what kind of mounting systems other than suction cups do they offer for this pump? is there magnets or is it only suction cups?

any close up pics of the pump disasembled???
Old 12/31/2007, 08:31 AM
WTMRAC President/Thug

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
sorry for all the question but im really interested in these pumps.
Ditto that. As for "cloning" of pattended products, thats what you get when you outsource work. I know Korea and China are notorious for stuff like this. International copywrite laws would probably come into play but I don't know if that would apply to items made in one country and cloned in another or not.
How's the motor holding up sofar? Any hangs? I have 5 Tunze 6100's on a tank and they keep jamming. The controler is constantly alarming that one is hanging up. If these do better I might be getting some!
Old 12/31/2007, 08:45 AM
Limestone cowboy

The pump also will work with the suregrip 100 magnetics with no mods
That was taken by reeftokers post.
Is the connection the same as the tunze's? What i am asking is you said these would work with the tunze controller, But is the connector the same at the driver the way tunzes connect to the controller?
I am thinking on putting this on my profilux if the connectors are the same.
Old 12/31/2007, 09:56 AM
WTMRAC's Daddy

These are from Pacific Coast Imports.
Here is a link to the pump on their website.
http://pacificcoastimports.com/produ...55613A696&c=38
Old 12/31/2007, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

the connectors look the same , as far as the clone part of the pump, like I said before the impellers are interchangable, and so are the shrouds. the pump is holding up fine no noise or heat issues.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

update
SO far pumps are still running strong , I will be doing some heat test this week to see how much heat these pumps put off compaired to the tunze 6100
Old 01/04/2008, 12:15 PM
Pie Is My Favorite Flavor

I realize the specs say 38w, but I'd like to see one of these on a kill-a-watt meter.
Old 01/04/2008, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Are you comparing these to the old tunzes{i.e 6100's and 6200's} or the newer Models(6101's and 6201's}?
Old 01/04/2008, 01:34 PM
Pie Is My Favorite Flavor

When comparing wattages and flow to a modern Tunze I'd think they should also be on the same controller so they are getting the same information.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
last thing the xwave is only running 25watts of power
25 Watts?? they spec says 38 watts....

Here is the link to the importer's web site as well...

http://www.pacificcoastimports.com/p...17310L113&c=38
Old 01/04/2008, 02:08 PM

Wow, a lot cheaper than tunze. I guess tunze and vortech now have a new competitor.
Old 01/04/2008, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

I am comparing them to the old 6100 I dont have a 6101 to test it against. I dont have a Kilo-watt meter to test the wattage so on that I am going by the company specs
Old 01/04/2008, 04:33 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Considering the problems some people have with even the italian made Sicce streams that tunze markets, I am a little wary of what problems might develop with these pumps, and how well the company will back the product in that case. Heck, I even bought a TS24 kit where one of the stream drivers was DOA, brand new. All I can say is: follow that cleaning schedule and be sure to vinegar dip these things every 3 months OR ELSE! Bang for the buck, those new SEIO polario's seem like the best option still, considering each one is really two pumps in one.
Old 01/04/2008, 07:00 PM
Zooxanthallae Anonymous

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
Wow, a lot cheaper than tunze. I guess tunze and vortech now have a new competitor.
That's just the introductory price though...the regular price is only $50 less than a real Tunze....just buy the real thing and actually get the warranty support that Tunze USA provides. I doubt SERIOUSLY that you will get that kind of service from Pacific Coast and all the other similar Chinese product importers (just read all the threads complaining about Marine Solutions, Inc. and their "support") that Roger Vitko provides.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Old 01/04/2008, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Kirk
The 50 less is comparing it to the 6100's The pumps seem to be moving more water then the them. I am doing some more testing to compair the amout of water flow between the two.