Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12/31/2007, 02:19 AM
Registered Member

Re: My Goodness Brent F.

Quote:
Originally posted by NaCl+H2O Fish
Brent F.

Welcome.... and where have you been? Not that I claim to know everyone on this thread.... LOL!

May I ask the origin and reason behind all the MODS for your new RSM?

Reasoning behind the mods:

The ideas such as the surface skimming came from this board. I really like the look of the RSM but also know some of the pluses of using a sump so I bought the RSM and had a custom made sump tank built for inside the stand. I also knew I wanted better skimming so added a HOT skimmer behind the sump.

I want to keep some marginal reef safe invertebrates and some clams so decided to add on a shallow tank and decided on a Viper 70 watt metal halide because anything bigger would overheat the 15 gal 20X20X9 tank. I found this tank used locally and added the overflow box inside it – the prior owner had it hooked up to a canister filter.

I found the Nanocube 6 used and added it on because I want to keep a small frogfish which really needs to be in a specimen tank and thought this would be an ideal home for one.

I plumbed all three tanks into a shared sump for ease of maintenance and to share the skimmer. I also have an ATU system tied into the sump which I didn’t show in the pictures.

The Phosban Reactor is for Zeovit products and is hanging on the back so I can easily shake it every day. My tanks are too small for the plunger style Zeovit reactors so I’ll simply shake the small Two Little Fishes reactor instead of using a plunger.

Last edited by Brent F; 12/31/2007 at 02:41 AM.