Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

I can't belive your run of bad luck Sarah! Un freaking real!

I have a question about the AEFW and Nudis, did you see something that made you look for them like white areas on the corals indicating that it was irritated?
Old 12/30/2007, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

Hey Bill....yah it's pretty unreal...makes me rethink the whole SPS thing....

what I found on the acros was small bits looking "irritated" but what finally told me was me blowing off some crud in the tank, blew at the large table acro and 2 FW went flying in the current....then I caught them, looked at them closer and found out what they were...then a dip confirmed it...with the monti's I noticed white areas of bleaching very very quickly and then looked closer and dammit....these sweet little fella's were there....sooooo one day when I am free of "nasties" I may be begging frags!

Sarah
Old 12/30/2007, 11:41 PM
Premium Member

Ok, so with the AEFW how did the coral look irritated?

After seeing you and others on CR with AEFW and red bugs I have been paranoid and looking hard to see if I can find any.

I'm quite certain I don't have red bugs or monty nudis and fairly certain I don't have AEFW. I bought some TM pro-coral cure and I'm going to do a dip on a coral or two to be certain.

I have not added any new corals to my tank in a very long time like a year or something so I think I would have seen some irritation on a coral to attract attention.

Just LMK when you want some frags.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:15 AM
Premium Member

Yes, by now you would have known most likely....BUT that being said, the place I got all the corals doesn't realize that he has them....and it is/was a mature setup.

My corals that show active AEFW slime up a bit where there is a patch of them....it is obvious that something is bugging them and if you do look at them you notice "whitish" area's where there should be color that is bright it is faded or just a cream color with some "bite marks" let me see if I can get a good pic of a coral with them on that to the average joe looks just fine! Give me a bit...I have a wicked camera now that might be able to take a good picture even though I can't!

Sarah
Old 12/31/2007, 12:30 AM
Premium Member

OK...here you go....I hope you can see what I see....but there is a real issue where they are right now...but not enough that you would think that is what is going on...at least you always hope! To the naked eye you don't see the "whitish" areas as well but under flash you can really see it.....I couldn't get a good one of it sliming up but will over the next few days

Sarah
Old 01/03/2008, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

I did a dip with TMPCC and after strained the water through a coffee filter. I near crapped my pants when I found 3 little flat things like these.
Quote:
Originally posted by Marko9

Aparently they are a safe pod, also known as a sand skater. Luckily I did not find any thing that looked like this.
Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Flatworm images:

This one is 3mm long.

AEFW eggs:

and this one is from Arconom:
After this I'm quite sure I don't have AEFW or any other pests. I'm going to consider myself very lucky and will start using QT for any new arrivals.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:00 PM
Premium Member

You ARE lucky!!! I'll trade ya!

Sarah
Old 01/06/2008, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

I'll add mine:

Montipora Eating Nudibranch's...