Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 06:55 PM
Keeper of Sharks

Coral ID

This was sold to me as an Encrusting Gorgonian. Although, after looking at it, I'm beginning to think its a colony of xenia. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 12/29/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Looks like some type of gorgian to me, but the polyps do look xeniaish
Old 12/29/2007, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

Xenia doesn't grow from a mat like that
Old 12/29/2007, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

looks like brown star polyps
Old 12/29/2007, 07:52 PM
Keeper of Sharks

So, what is it? A gorgonian? The guy at my LFS said it formed on a stick coral.

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 12/29/2007, 07:55 PM
Hydrophilic

Its an encrusting gorgonian that has grown over top the skeleton of an old. branching type of gorgonian. What you have may be a species of Briareum.

Most soft coral polyps look like that if you get close enough actually- they all share a very similar structure.

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 12/29/2007, 07:56 PM
Keeper of Sharks

Any special requirements?

Old 12/29/2007, 10:21 PM
Hydrophilic

Not really. It does not take to fast changes in pH very well (but most corals dont); as long as you have your basic water chemistry in order, that coral should do well for you. They seem to appreciate a moderately strong water flow too.

One thing to note though- Briareum species are noted for being some of the most aggressive corals in the hobby- they are capable of serious chemical warfare. They also grow much faster than many others, and can easily overtake another coral if allowed to touch it. Keep them away from anything you dont want overgrown, and never frag the coral in the tank.

Long as you keep that stuff in order, should be fine.

Old 12/29/2007, 10:37 PM
Keeper of Sharks

How fast do you think it'll grow under 80W PC's? Right now, its in a corner of the tank with about a 1-2" gap between itself and the glass, about a 1-3" gap (depending on the state of the tree coral) between itself and a neighboring tree coral and a 1.5" gap between the base and a neighboring rock. Think this is OK? Or should I move it a little farther away. I really don't want it to spread onto the glass or any other rocks.

Thanks for the info by the way!

Old 12/30/2007, 12:18 AM
Hydrophilic

Just watch it- generally they grow a lot faster if theyre actually touching something solid. Since youve kept it away from most surfaces, it should be pretty easy to control. If it does start to grow on your glass- just peel it off. Very easy to remove actually.

Old 12/30/2007, 07:19 AM
Registered Member

Those look like star polyps to me.
Old 12/30/2007, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

My star polyps.

Open behind my frogspawn
Photobucket

Closed at night. These will encrust anything. And there are several colors and polyp types.
Photobucket

But I'm probably wrong scale on your pictures is a little tough to determine.

Last edited by Saiyan; 12/30/2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12/30/2007, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

It is an encrusting Gorgonian. Grows fast, easy to keep, will encrust easy, (Can release toxins).
I had one on a 120, had to take it out after it started to encrust near by corals.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:23 PM
Keeper of Sharks

Quote:
Originally posted by Hormigaquatica
Just watch it- generally they grow a lot faster if theyre actually touching something solid. Since youve kept it away from most surfaces, it should be pretty easy to control. If it does start to grow on your glass- just peel it off. Very easy to remove actually.
Alrighty then, thank you!

P.S. Sorry if I annoyed any of you with my major question asking. This is my first reef tank and also my first Gorgonian. Thanks a lot!

Old 12/30/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

For sure a Gorgonia. I have and they seem to stay open with lots of flow and medium light. Here is a pic of 1 of mine open.

Old 12/30/2007, 04:31 PM
compulsive fragomaniac

that is corky fingers Briarium an encrusting and or branching gorg.

the things eat like pigs and they can eat larger particles like broken brine shrimp and bits of flake food
Old 12/30/2007, 06:39 PM
Keeper of Sharks

Quote:
Originally posted by pointx
For sure a Gorgonia. I have and they seem to stay open with lots of flow and medium light. Here is a pic of 1 of mine open.

Any trouble with yours spreading in places you don't want? Only reason mine wasn't open in those pics was because it was just put in the tank.

Old 12/30/2007, 08:37 PM
Hydrophilic

Quote:
Those look like star polyps to me.
Youre somewhat right there. Star Polyps were previously classified as a species of Pachyclavularia. They were reclassified somewhat recently, with Briareum being the most likely reassignment. That means star polyps are essentially just another variety of encrusting gorgonian. The care and behavior are indeed almost identical- which makes sense with close relatives. HTH