Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 11:52 PM
Tank Collector

Canopy cooling fans

I was looking into using 4 fans to cool my canopy that I'm building and was wondering if anyone was using case fans for PC's for their canopies or if they'll just die after a few weeks because of the environment.

I originally looked at the IceCap 4" fans, and they get some bad reviews for how loud they are.... Now i'm not usually one to complain about dBa, but I dont want it to sound like a jet is taking off anytime my fans are on.

I saw some great looking 120mm case fans that move just as much air, are ALOT cheaper, and much quieter, but I dont want to be replacing them every month....

I planned on 4 fans, all blowing IN so its not like they would be pulling saltwater across the fans....

What's the verdict ???
Old 12/30/2007, 12:45 AM
CERTIFIED REEF BUM

doug,
those PC fans should work. I read a lot from other forums using PC fans on their canopy. get the largest you can fit your need.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:50 AM
Premium Member

Vantec Stealth 120mm fans are very quiet. I have been using it for around 8month without any problem.

I use two of them on variable voltage power supplies.Most of the time I run them with 12v. They are like $12 at newegg.com and power supplies can be had at Wal Mart or about anywhere for $5-$10.
A single 500 mA power supply will run 3 Stealths no problem.
Old 12/30/2007, 02:06 AM
barnacle boy

ya i been using the vantec stealth for almost a year with no problem also.
Old 12/30/2007, 02:27 AM
Tank Collector

Sounds good.... I ran stealths on my previous setup, but it was a biocube so they were never exposed to any elements...

I just ordered 4 of them.
Old 12/30/2007, 09:51 AM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

wolf pup just put together a hood project with computer fans that were silent. I think he ended up pushing air down the length of his T5's and added a couple fans in the back to vent excess air. I saw the fans and they were absolutly silent.
I have a couple Icecap fans in an old hood and they were very quiet until they got a little dust on them.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 12/30/2007, 10:45 AM
barnacle boy

i think its best to have the fans push cold air in. if they pull air out they wont last long because moist air is going trough them.
if you go to coolerguys.com they have a AC to DC converter for a great price. i like it because it has a molex, PC type connector and you don't have to hard wire anything. you can run 5 120mm fans with it. i have 4 wired into the canopy with 4 120mm fans two on each side blowing in. it can actually drop the temp of the water even with MH lights by a couple degrees. now with T5s, heat is not an issue.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:48 AM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

I agree, thats why I went with T5's on my 220. I am still not so sure my corals agree with my decision but at least the room stays cooler in the summer and my power bill is lower.

If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 12/30/2007, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

I have been using a bank of 4 3" fans from a server for over a year... running continuously and silently. no issues. I also have many individual fans that I picked up at American Science and surplus for cheap. Highly recommend them.
Old 12/30/2007, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

Air flow needs to avoid dead spots - I have been cooling PC's for years and found that pressurizing the case (fans blow in) resulted in the best overall cooling - However, it is all about how the air moves. I would always add a "blow hole" on the top with an exhaust fan. This pulls a lot of heat out and does a good job of assisting the whole process. In my current canopy I have 4 80mm fans blowing in from the ends along the length of the T5's and 2 80mm fans exhausting on the top of the center. The t5's are cool to the touch. Since heat will naturally collect at the top of the canopy - the two exhaust fans move it out and away. It does little good to have the hot air leave the canopy only to be drawn back in by the intakes. 120mm fans are way more efficient than 80mm but I was restricted in space. Go with low rpms and you will avoid noise. The "temperature controlled" fans are often inappropriate since unless they come with a probe that is 2' long, you are simply checking the air temp outside the canopy. With the canopy away from your tank you may want to spark one up and blow smoke into your canopy and you should ideally see it look like a wind tunnel. You want the air to move through the system not just blow around within. HTH
Old 12/30/2007, 03:57 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

My blow hole pulls a lot of heat out also. I just keep it clean and it works great. It does tend to get kind of noisy.