Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

moving

hi everyone . i want to know the best way to move a 150 gl reef tank with about 5 corals and 6 fish .im moving about 1 and a half hour away and wont be able to do anything other than make water in the house before i go get the tank . last time i moved it was 54 gl and i lost everything
Old 12/30/2007, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

I believe the key is to not bother the sand bed too much to avoid
a cycle..keep your rock and other livestock underwater at a warm temp. Use an airstone and a battery powered air pump.
Old 12/30/2007, 03:07 PM
Team RC Member

DO not attempt to keep your sandbed.
Go to the lfs in the city where you're going [or your old one, if the only] and ask if they can board your fish and corals during the week: shouldn't be a big deal for them...and they'll make a customer loyal enough to buy from them preferentially, right?

Discard almost all your sand. Down to one cup in a ziplock, and empty that in immediately on watering.

Consider whether your plumbing is going to work in the new setup: that can be a headache.

Set down eggcrate on bottom where rock will be: prevents rolling.
Set down live rock.
Add new sand: pre-washing recommended in ro/di.

Lay garbage bag over whole bottom. Add salt water. Garbage bag will float as water rises, preventing sand kickup.

Adjust rocks.

Allow one week for mini-cycle. Cycle will run off anything on rock that died during transport.

WHen safe, move in livestock and corals.

Good luck!

I did it this way and am going ok...I got stalled 2 weeks with my rock in buckets---bad news there, but my fish and corals were safe. A minicycle and I was running again, thank you, Aquatic Dreams.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/30/2007, 03:37 PM
Killer of Giants

Agree, ditch the sand. Save some, add new. I've actually had to do this. No ill effects on my system.