Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

white spot on my clown what should I do??

My clown fish has had a white spot on its back bottom fin. At first I thought it was poo but its still there its not really fuzzy it more looks like a long string in the shape of a ball. It How should I treat this??
Old 12/29/2007, 01:54 PM
Zoanthid collector

Is it a parasite?

I would just observe over the next few days.
Old 12/29/2007, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

My tomato clowns got ich (or had it at the store and I just didn't notice) right after I bought them. Scared me to death. I cranked up the temperature in the tank to about 84 degrees or so, and they healed up real nice.
Old 12/29/2007, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

I dont know if its a parasite or ick or what. I dont think I want to crank the temp up that high I would be scared that it would affect the corals.
Old 12/29/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

I am new, so take this with a grain of salt, but when I had an outbreak of ich from an ammonia spike from shifting the rock work in my tank and disturbing my sand bed I did a freshwater dip and started feeding garlic soaked food. So far, the ich has went away and has not reappeared for 3 weeks now. My clown is back to her usual self, biting the tarnation out of me every time I stick my hand in there.
Old 12/29/2007, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

I can't overemphasize the need for a quarantine tank. Everything you buy should go in there for 4-6 weeks. This way you can observe for any signs of diseases etc. It also helps you get difficult fish to eat.
It is a great way to acclimitize inverts such as snails--the water from lfs's is usually about .018 in salinity---far to low for a 20 min to 60 min drip acclimitization. Better to use a qt tank and raise it slowly over 24 hrs.

that said --can you post a pic--it really helps
Old 12/29/2007, 05:18 PM
Friend to Vallonia

If it's a long, large white thing, I doubt it's ich. It could be lymphocyctis.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

It looks like I can just pull it off. Should I???
Old 12/30/2007, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

--Bump--
Old 12/30/2007, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

I brought myself a maroon clown a few weeks back. When i got it at the lfs is was clean. But after 2 days in my tank, i saw a white dot by his fin. He didn't look so good and looked sick.

i didnt know what to do, figure he was gonna die and just let it be. it turns out ok. The white spot is gone and he seems alot happier.

Wish you luck!
Old 12/30/2007, 01:37 AM
Registered Member

well thats the thing the fish does not seem affected at all by the spot I think I am just going to see if I can pull it off.
Old 12/30/2007, 09:06 AM
Premium Member

just how does one get something like that off a fish? be sure to tell us how you did it phunkie. BTW, the Capn is right about using a QT. I recently put a yellow clown goby in my QT only to see it get ich and die before I could get hypo down low enough (next time I'm going to treat the first sign of ich with copper). Having introduced ich to my display tank once before and lost fish, I a really glad that I learned my lesson and spared the others.
Old 12/30/2007, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

Location: Recently moved from Florida Panhandle to Bham AL. Still trying to figure out why?
I hope You didn't pull off. I would recomend a 2 to 5 min fresh water dip. Clowns seem to handle very well and it should fall off on its own as it sound like parasite.

I'm not bad...I'm just drawn that way!
Old 12/30/2007, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

I still would recommend hypo salination in a qt tank. Pulling cysts off ect from fish is not a good idea---you bear the undersurfaces of the fish to anything else bacterial or fungal in the water.
There is possiblility of it being a trojan horse and releasing alot more into the water.
Hyposalination and or copper treatments in a qt tank will kill what ever is on the surface and underneath the surface leaving a clean wound to heal.