Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Stock list for 180G

Heres my possible stock list for my 180 im gonna set up. I understand most people dont agree with multiple tangs, but imo, fish dont even belong in glass boxes

Already have
10" fox face rabbit
7" sailfin tang
2" and 3" clarkii clowns

want to add
clown tang 4"-6"
3 yellow tangs 3"-4"
sohal tang 4"-6"
pair of mandarins 2"-3"
either a convict tang or a orange shoulder 4"-6"

I'm prepared for the assault of opinions, and honestly, the YTs are mainly for extra color, i would gladly take these out if i could think of another fish that would do well
Old 12/29/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

what kind of filtration do you have? i have 6 tangs in my 210 but i have a 100 gallon sump and a 90 gallon fuge. my tangs are no where near the size that you are talking about. i would think that the yellows which are i think the most aggressive would be the trouble makers. your sailfin is 7 inches? i would like to see pictures of him. i love these fish and dont think that i have ever seen one that big. the 6 tangs that i have are yellow, purple, scopas, desjardin sailfin, hippo, and a palani. i would like to add an achilles and a powder blue but i think that those two fish are the most delicate fish and would not survive with what i got. good luck and keep us updated.
Old 12/29/2007, 11:47 PM
Premium Member

I know you're just looking for opinions so here's mine. That's too many big fish for a 180. You already have one 7" Tang and you're talking about adding 6 more, at leat 2 of which (the Sohal and Clown) that have the potential to get really large.

I would suggest dropping 2 of the Yellows and one of the other Tangs. Plus, Yellows are notorius for picking on their own kind.

On the Mandarins, you're probably going to need to let that tank mature without many fish for at least 6 months before trying add the Mandy's so the copepod population has a chance to get to what it needs to be to support them.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

good point on the manderins. i have only one and still wonder if he is getting enough to eat.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:46 AM
Premium Member

I have 6 Tangs in my 500. And I feel it's over crowded...
Old 12/30/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the opinions, ive decided to scrap the idea of the yts, theyre just too common

on filtration, im gonna have at least a 100g fuge, maybe bigger. it all depends what i can fit under my stand
Old 12/30/2007, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by am3gross
good point on the manderins. i have only one and still wonder if he is getting enough to eat.
do you have an established refugium--I would not attempt to raise manadarines without it.
Old 12/30/2007, 09:00 PM
Premium Member

Re: Stock list for 180G

Quote:
Originally posted by reefkeeperfrodo
Heres my possible stock list for my 180 im gonna set up. I understand most people dont agree with multiple tangs, but imo, fish dont even belong in glass boxes

Already have
10" fox face rabbit
7" sailfin tang
2" and 3" clarkii clowns

want to add
clown tang 4"-6"
3 yellow tangs 3"-4"
sohal tang 4"-6"
pair of mandarins 2"-3"
either a convict tang or a orange shoulder 4"-6"

I'm prepared for the assault of opinions, and honestly, the YTs are mainly for extra color, i would gladly take these out if i could think of another fish that would do well
I would hope that the 180 is long rather then high--the tangs need alot of open water to be happy