Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

Looking for clean up crew

Any of the LFS have any cleaners in stock?

Preferably in the northern suburbs.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 12/29/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

If you are planning on spending at least $60 you can put together a package from LiveAquaria.com with a free shipping.
Old 12/29/2007, 08:15 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

If you order check out reeftopia.com. I just got a huge order from them with free shipping.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 12/29/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

I would second reeftopia
Old 12/29/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

I am looking for local right now, just a few snails and maybe hermits. I just finished cycling a new tank and want to get some cleaners in there.

Mrs. Claus maxed out the credit card, so until the bank gets their check I can't mail order.

I have yet to try reeftopia, I have gotten the cleaner package from etropicals and it was fantastic a ton of extras and everything was alive.

Thanks Tom
Old 12/29/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

The only difference is the $100 vs. $60 for free shipping.

Would you buy fish from reeftopia?
Old 12/29/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

I would say that moust of the LFS should have few snail or crabs in stock.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:05 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Quote:
Originally posted by bartecki
The only difference is the $100 vs. $60 for free shipping.

Would you buy fish from reeftopia?
Yes but look at what you get in the reef packages from reeftopia. I bought the reef package number 1 or whatever its called and there was enough goodies in it to stock a new 40 gallon and add a bunch of stuff to my 220. All looked good too except the hermits were really small (1/4"). I did look around and compared the 2 places and found reeftopia to offer the most.

If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 12/29/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

I am not trying to say that Reeftopia is a bad place to buy. A guess both places offer packages. I was always customizing my orders for whatever I wanted. I was happy with the service. Stuff was always alive - in good condition. Although last time - around two weeks ago - when we had that first snow my package got stuck somewhere out of state on an airport. I did receive it a day later with few snails not moving, so I did call them and there was no problem with refund.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

It looks like reeftopia has more to offer for the price. When I can I am going to go with reeftopia package 1 which should be more than enough for two tanks.

Jeff, fwiw the etropicals blue hermits were only a 1/4" as well. I still have all of the ones I bought in the nano only they have grown and moved into the cerith snail shells.

For now I still need about a dozen astrea and hermits.

Tom

Last edited by smketyr; 12/29/2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:19 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

I got a small envelope of empty shells from Reeftopia as part of the package but I still dont trust hermits. I think that they love to steal shells from snails.

Old 12/29/2007, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

I don't trust them either, but the blue legged and scarlett hermits have always done a very good job for me. I save all the shells from dead snails so that the hermits have a new home and don't go looking for new ones.

I have a very LARGE hermit in the 55 now that came as a hitchhiker on some live rock I bought for the tank. The rock looked like it had a shell stuck to it. To my suprise the next morning I saw it running across the sand bed. It is a little larger than the land hermits you can by at Petco etc. I have to bring the camera home from work to snap a picture.

Tom
Old 12/30/2007, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

There is nice sale this weekend at Living Sea Aquarium, which is in Park Ridge area. call them and ask for the sale on Snails. OR ill dig down the email and post it here.