Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Wisconsin - Fox Valley Reefers Club (FVRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

DIY Calcium Reactor!

Anyone here ever make one? Thinking someday down the road this would be ideal to have. I know a lot of you are DIY Guru's and was wondering if anyone ever made one. If not is there one you would suggest buying? I am open to all input.

Eric
Old 12/28/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

Not sure on the reactor, but I did notice today at work (Lowe's) that we sell bottles of CO2 and it made me think of calcium reactors. They weren't that expensive either - and easier than dealing with restraunt places. Something to keep in mind if you make one.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

I think its the way I am going to go once I get everything in my basement....IE the filtration aspect......Just think it would be easier to maintain my levels over the long run. And if I can build my own to save some money why not!

Eric
Old 12/28/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Forgot to ask how big were the bottles? How cheap is cheap?

Eric
Old 12/28/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Here is the plan I would like to use.
http://www.reefdiversity.com/DIYPage...AcylicWork.htm
I believe it is similiar to the GEO reactor. I have been thinking about getting started in a month or two. I am no DIY guru just poor reefer trying to make a dollar stretch. Plus I like to tinker.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

I made one for myself with the help of a cnc machine at work....

Total cost was around $170 with the cost of acrylic tube, acrylic sheet, Quietone 1200 pump, weld-on 16 and 40, 1/4" hose and various fittings.I added a Milwaukee PH Controller to handle to co2 delivery.
It's been in use for almost a year now with no problems. Once set it just keeps going.

My astreal snails have doubled their shell size and my montipora digitata has several additional branches in that same time frame.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

That is one nice setup..You have a PM on the way

Eric
Old 12/29/2007, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

damn muelpaul. that is pretty sweet.
Old 12/29/2007, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

Thanks ebrabender and siropa. I just couldn't see spending $400+ for something that I could build for around $170.
Old 12/29/2007, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

no doubt. i've been pricing them because i've been having to add some additional Ca these days over and above what kalk does for me. still not sure I can stomach spending it.
Old 12/29/2007, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by siropa
damn muelpaul. that is pretty sweet.
Double that. That certainly doesn't look like it was a DIY project! Do you have a plan that you used for that?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by erabender
Forgot to ask how big were the bottles? How cheap is cheap?

20oz was $36 and 9oz was $24. Actually, I guess I don't reallly know - how long would a 20oz bottle with 1# of CO2 last? And is that actually cheap? Sometimes I equate convenience with cheap - unless it's a massive price difference, being able to buy something at a place I'm at every day is a plus to me compared to hunting down a restaurant place and dealing with them. The bottles locaed with the pneumatic tools in the store - or search CO2 on lowes.com. The other question would be if aquarium-style regulators would fit on them.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Thanks MrSquid, I modeled it after an actual Calcium reactor, I wanted something built to last and it turned out quite well.
I have a 10lb bottle/tank - cost about $75 for the bottle and first filling and lasted me about a year. I now think it could have went even longer, it was $13 for a tank exchange/fill up.

So $13 for the co2 per year and the A.R.M media @ about $26 shipped comes out to about $3.25 a month.
Not including the electrical cost of the pump(25.5 watts) or the PH controller(? wattage).
Old 12/29/2007, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

OOPS! Correction- 10lb bottle is actually a 5lb bottle. I purchased it from AIRGAS in Appleton.

I could have purchased a cheaper bottle online but I felt more comfortable buying this locally.
Old 12/29/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

I am definately going to go this route. Just need to get the materials and I already asked if I could enlist him to help me

Eric
Old 12/29/2007, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

5lb bottle in green bay with first fillup will run you just over $100.

after that, it's around $15 to refill...

I use this on my planted tank and it lasts a couple of months.. I wouldnt be able to tell you how long it would go hooked up to a CA reactor though.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

I actually know of a place where I can get a cylinder I think pretty reasonable. I am hoping. Thinking you might wanna patent this and get in the business. I showed a wife a picture of it and her first comment was I don't care you need help. Next sentence, AND HOW MUCH IS THIS GOING TO COST??? LOL Yup I'm addicted

Eric
Old 12/29/2007, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Thanks ebrabender, You know your hooked, you are hooked baaaad

My coworker wants to patent it but I told him it is to close to whats out there. Right now I will try and help out other reef enthusiasts like myself...not willing to pay the high prices for such items.

Oh and uhm....Your wife had the same response as mine did
Old 12/29/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

She's pretty good with it actually. Well kind of. We are in Madison right now. Just picked up an old tank that was used at an animart in town. Its a 75 gallon tank but split into two. Going to be the New sump/fuge for my new setup and the guy I know hooked me up pretty sweet. So tax time is right around the corner. And I will be ordering the material then for the calcium reactor.

Eric