Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Orlando Reef Caretakers Association (ORCA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

Bare Bottom Glass?

Setting up a Perfecto 180 GLASS bare bottom (I believe). I see alot of Acrylic bare Bottom setups and the Glass ones I have seen seem to like starboard to protect the bottom glass, I have heard that dietritus does get under the starboard when its used. Am I crazy to attempt live rock islands (similar to TOTM) with pvc and zip ties on bare glass bottom?
Any tips?..ideas??
Old 12/28/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

Silcone around the edges of the star board real good and you wont have a problem.
Old 12/28/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

i have done bare bottom before, just get some nice pieces for the bottom, pieces that will be stable and take your time with the aqua-scape. you will need epoxy to lock all of your rocks together, so that they do not get knocked over.
Old 12/28/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

when i first set up my reef i carefully placed my rocks in place, i did not add live sand until about a two months later after my wife said that the tank looks better with sand
Old 12/28/2007, 08:12 PM
Premium Member

I have been bb in my previous 75 gallon with only glass bottom, and my current tank which is a 28 gallon nano. I have had great success, and like the look of corraline as it covers the bottom. The key is to stack rocks that fit one another with stability. My current tank looks functionally impossible, but due to the way I placed the 2 pieces of tonga, the reef is actually very stable, and strongly doubt that I will ever have an issue. I have not updated recent re-aquascaping pics of my current tank, but you can get the idea by checking out my gallery of my old 75. Good luck.....