Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 09:02 PM
Mushroom King

Westsiders UNITE !!!!!!!

Hey is it just me or is the Westside growing we got just as many westsiders posting now as we do Eastsiders!!!

One of the other members and myself were thinking about keeping the westside meetings alive by finding a new location and conducting them.
Anyone interrested in this ??? Would people come ????

To be honest I didn't care for the bar we met at before nothing wrong with it just very awkward seating and music was loud and food big $$$$.
Taking suggestion on a good place to meet would need to have the space, be able to feed us and be kinda private so we not have to fight with loud folks and what not to hear eachother talk FISH !!!
If there is still a big enough interrest I'll talk it over with the other guy and see what's up.
Thanks all

Dam these Mushrooms why must I love shrooms so much. If only I could grow somthing else >:)

"Ya I shot ya....What you gonna do about it ??" Cupid
Old 12/27/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

im not a westsider but i would be interested!
Old 12/27/2007, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

I'm game. My job keeps me from attending all the meetings but I plug in every time I can.

We need to keep them going.
Old 12/27/2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

WEST SIDER HERE LOL

Hi this is Ron and Kathy from St louis new here in Peoria, still no tank or anything but avid reef enthusiast.
Depending on how many come heck we could have it at my condo and do some grilling for eats etc. That is unless a hundred come then it might not fly lol.
I am curious thou what are the day of the week the meetings are on and the times if someone lets me know Id appreciate it.
thanks all
Ron and Kathy
Old 12/27/2007, 10:23 PM
Mushroom King

EastSide has the larger meetings simply cuz more people live over there also they prop auction is over there those can bring in 50-60 people easy. And a dealer "Frank" from Tropical oasis comes in from Cali with cool corals and other neat stuff.
Combined I'd say there is 20-25 peeps that are true westsiders loop 101-west and about 10 or so that are in the middle SR-51 to loop 101 more if you include Anthem. So there could be 30-40 people if they got off their bums and came. Are last meetings used to average 5-8 people. we just sit chat with eachother for an hour and leave. Unless Bajabum comes down to lecture then we get a house full the last time he did it we had 40-50 peeps.
Thankyou for the offer Ron and Kathy and we will add it to the list.
I would like to have auctions and parties over here some day like the eastsiders do.

Dam these Mushrooms why must I love shrooms so much. If only I could grow somthing else >:)

Old 12/27/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

How far West are we talking? As one of those middle guys, I could go either way. That being said, should a West-side meeting include informative sessions, etc, it might be desirable to just trading/buying frags and drinking beer. Think: when Frank brought stuff in to give lessons in fragging. That rocked, and I got to frag a piece of Idaho grape

"Can't handle the you too phrase..."

Does 2.5 gallons count as a femtoreef?
Old 12/27/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

I would love to do west side meetings...I am probably one of the farthest west members here..or at least tied...lol

I could offer up my home for meetings as well even though I am such a newbie...although I do have 14 freshwater tanks rolling(12 in a shrimp breeding rack)...only 1 reef and its a 24g NC...not sure if people would drive out to 239th ave and Southern though? If we could manage it that brewery at the Cardinals stadium would be awesome but not sure if we could go there? The hard thing about doing it at a business is that we will either have to pay for the time there or know someone that can help us out.
Old 12/27/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

83rd and Deervalley here, so a meeting/auction/get together is cool with me.
Old 12/28/2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

I still haven't been to one so I don't know what they are all about but I'd love to attend one a little closer to home.
Old 12/28/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

I would definately be up for meetings somewhere on the west side (I am at 35th and Cactus).

As far as locations go, a couple places with "party rooms" come to mind, I will do some checking...

--Goon
Old 12/28/2007, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

I will attend.

Especially if a veteran is doing some kind of lesson / lecture.

Being new, I know there are many things that I don't even know I need to know..... (if you know what I mean)

BTW: I know the owner of a small bar on 75th & Peoria that is called Neighbors. It does not have a separate room, but it does have a separate side that he uses for Birthday gaterings or get togethers. He does not serve food, but would allow pot luck food to be brought in for a meeting. He can adjust the lights on that side of the room and has controle over the music both that is played and how loud it gets.

If swing by and take a look and think it would work, let me know and I will give him a call to let him know when we need the side.

He usually has "for fun" poker on that side of bar on Sundays

EDIT: I just thought of this...I work at Villa De Paz Golf course on Sunday Mornings. I could talk to the General Manager and get him to allow us use of the club house. As long as there is not a tournament that day we would have plenty of room. There would be golfers but I don't think that would be an issue.

Food / Beer TVs / Plenty of Tables. (107th Ave & ISR)

Last edited by kgouso; 12/28/2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12/28/2007, 10:40 AM
Premium Member

Hello,
I would definitely be interested.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 12/28/2007, 10:45 AM
I read your email

Jon,

What about your clubhouse where we will be doing the GB pickup.

We could so something pot-luck style where everyone brings a dish.

"Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order." --Ed Howdershelt
Old 12/28/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

I would be interested. I can't always find a sitter for rug rat 1, rug rat 2 and rug rat 3; so I couldn't make every meeting.

The one westside I attended was cool...even if there was only about 7 of us
Old 12/28/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

I would only suggest it be somewhere with easy access, like right off the 101 or something. Make it easy for people to get to.
Old 12/28/2007, 07:40 PM
Mushroom King

Quote:
Originally posted by OwenInAZ
How far West are we talking? As one of those middle guys, I could go either way. That being said, should a West-side meeting include informative sessions, etc, it might be desirable to just trading/buying frags and drinking beer. Think: when Frank brought stuff in to give lessons in fragging. That rocked, and I got to frag a piece of Idaho grape
If do this it will take a couple of months/meeting to get everything straight and organized to the point we can have speakers and auctions and what not for the first couple of meetings it will be plain and simple a meeting of fish geeks that don't want to drive an hour+ to the eastside meetings every month. Our meeting dates will be off set from the Eastsiders meetings and Prop for sure becuase I will not step on toes after speaking with my counter part in this venture I will then speak with KirstenK to make sure all is well and we work out proper dates to meet. Also maybe get a few pointers from her as to how to run a proper meeting etc.

Old 12/28/2007, 08:01 PM
Mushroom King

Quote:
Originally posted by chiahead
I would love to do west side meetings...I am probably one of the farthest west members here..or at least tied...lol

I could offer up my home for meetings as well even though I am such a newbie...although I do have 14 freshwater tanks rolling(12 in a shrimp breeding rack)...only 1 reef and its a 24g NC...not sure if people would drive out to 239th ave and Southern though? If we could manage it that brewery at the Cardinals stadium would be awesome but not sure if we could go there? The hard thing about doing it at a business is that we will either have to pay for the time there or know someone that can help us out.
Also Ron and Kathy

Thankyou for the offer Brian / Ron&Kathy but I insist that it be done at a place of business. For the following reasons Using you guys as an example only: First and formost it would be an intrusion into your personal space even though you say it is ok you'll be stressed before each meeting to make sure the house is cleaned the kids are taken care of etc.
People will be eating ...you can see the accidents there.
Brian your way out on 240th ave for half these people that's almost as far as Scottsdale.
God forbid one of your children/spouse become ill and you decide you cannot have the meeting that would be a pickle.

I used to help in the meetings back east (Freshwater) we did auctions,potlucks, Parties, raffles,games, lectures,speaches, field trips. long hual road trips together everything you can imagine we did. Near the end Bill got so good at sweet taking the local venders we were able to get things for mad cheap to raffle off and somtimes we would get plants and fish for free just to get a new pet stores name out there. So I'm hoping to use those skills to get this rolling. We started meeting at peoples houses and ran into issues the first lady we had two meeting and then one of her girls got sick and we had to cancel it. then we deiced to stagger the meeting between peoples houses then people stopped coming cuz they don't want to keep looking for diffrent locations and some peopleare very nervous about entering somones house even if they know them from past meetings.
Also the big one it was put on the host to recieve food and what not as people arrived as it was there house. this is not fair to the host and potlucks are 50/50 some people forget to bring food others bring wierd stuff no one wants or ever heard of. If done at a place like Pranksters big seperate room and good food for good price. That will be better trust me I've already gone through all this and it's much much easier.

Old 12/28/2007, 08:05 PM
Mushroom King

Quote:
Originally posted by Goon
I would definately be up for meetings somewhere on the west side (I am at 35th and Cactus).

As far as locations go, a couple places with "party rooms" come to mind, I will do some checking...

--Goon
Please do I was thinking right off the loop 101 somwhere or very close to. So people can hit the highway and get there with ease.

Old 12/28/2007, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

I would be interested also. The eastside drive prevents me from going to many of the meetings.
Old 12/28/2007, 08:29 PM
Mushroom King

Quote:
Originally posted by kgouso
I will attend.

Especially if a veteran is doing some kind of lesson / lecture.

Being new, I know there are many things that I don't even know I need to know..... (if you know what I mean)

BTW: I know the owner of a small bar on 75th & Peoria that is called Neighbors. It does not have a separate room, but it does have a separate side that he uses for Birthday gaterings or get togethers. He does not serve food, but would allow pot luck food to be brought in for a meeting. He can adjust the lights on that side of the room and has controle over the music both that is played and how loud it gets.

If swing by and take a look and think it would work, let me know and I will give him a call to let him know when we need the side.

He usually has "for fun" poker on that side of bar on Sundays

EDIT: I just thought of this...I work at Villa De Paz Golf course on Sunday Mornings. I could talk to the General Manager and get him to allow us use of the club house. As long as there is not a tournament that day we would have plenty of room. There would be golfers but I don't think that would be an issue.

Food / Beer TVs / Plenty of Tables. (107th Ave & ISR)
Neighbors beleave it or not is on my list and so is the Legion please feel free to give suggestions. Please keep in mind they will have to sign a document that my Lawyers have made up to ensure what they agree upon stays that way and they don't start charging us for diffrent things and changing dates at the last minute and such.
Most places will not charge a premium for meeting in there establishments as long as we meet on a non-party day and we order food and drinks they are happy to get the business on an otherwise low day. To open the party/ side room for a bunch of paying customers is nothing to the owner of a small resturrant or bar as it is more profit for them every month.
You can speak with your director but make sure he does not charge for use of the room and there will be menu selections for when we meet and that can be a posibilty for sure. We all will vote in the end on the three best place. I am not a dictator and will not choose things for you everything will be brought before you guys and voted on unless it's somthing simple. Excuse my spelling it's not the best and I reverse lettering all the time and don't catch half of it.

Old 12/28/2007, 08:35 PM
Mushroom King

Quote:
Originally posted by soni
Jon,

What about your clubhouse where we will be doing the GB pickup.

We could so something pot-luck style where everyone brings a dish.
lol, the club house even if it had food or we did the potluck thing is so dam hard to get that I would never try it. I still don't even have it for the order date...they fighting me on it cuz of the water......don't want there club house ruined if one fo the totes busts open. Cool idea though it does have a full industrial kitchen I catered a wedding there last year for 150 people so it can handle the load of 20-30 people easy.

Old 12/29/2007, 12:08 PM
Mushroom King

I will be going out today to scout out some places, I am going to see who is open one of these weekends (Sat Jan 12, Sun Jan 13 or Sat Jan 26 or Sun Jan 27) and go for that, going to try for a Sunday from 1-3pm.
I will post when I return, Lets make this meeting an informative one with a trade session, Mr bajabum will you speak??

Old 12/29/2007, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

JMC,

I'm pretty new to the scene, but know my wife and I will be up for meet and greets. We are in the Surprise area, so pretty northwest in comparison to most. Hopefully the days you choose work for most parties here.

In any case I wanted to say THANK YOU!! It takes a lot of time to setup something like this. So, I guess the best way to show our appreciation is to actually attend and show your hard work paying off.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:28 PM
Mushroom King

Chorehorious,
I am trying to make this as user freindly for all as I can, I am limited to the days I can actually attend do do work schedule. The two weekends that are posted are the weekends I have off. I hope it works for all. Once we get it going again it wont be such a big deal, but to move on the first meeting your right does take planning.

Thanks for the Support!!!!
Hope to see you there

Old 12/29/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

I personally would be fine with having meetings here at my new house. Its on 91st and Bell Road. I know its probally not as good as a bar lol and people woiuld have to bring their own goodies but I thought I would offer. Even if its just a couple weekends here until we find a permanant place. PLUS my birthday is Jan 24th so if East Siders wanted to come we can make it a fun little party. LMK.