Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

[B]What do you think of this guy?[/B]

Y-DesygnGuy

Try benedryl topical ointment for the rash. Usually works for me.

What did you decide with the Naked Clowns? Did you decide to FIRE your LFS and take your biz elsewhere?

What do you think of this 'Gold Striped Maroon Clown'? He may get a little to large for the RSM !!!?

[http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4

Reefmack- Do you have any favorite to rated vendor 'stores' on EBAY for your RSM supplies you would care to share?

Regards,
Kent
Old 12/27/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm not sure who posted about placing a tube down the neck of the skimmer .... did I just dream this??? But, I think I could handle that one! What?!!! ... just a 1" PVC pipe, ... as you can tell, I have no idea what I'm talking about. But did anyone try this mod???
I thought this mod may be easy to try and not require anything extensive (other than finding a piece of pipe to fit the cup neck). I found a plastic kitchen sink drain pipe at the hardware store that looks like it would work easily.

Interestingly the Tunze skimmer does not produce bubbles past the rim of the skimmer unless the cup (with the 3" long pipe on the bottom) is inserted into the skimmer. This is what gave me the idea.
Old 12/27/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Kent -- I am waiting on the new set of clowns for them to come in and his system to be stable. But I am for sure going to get a new pair.

No I don't think the maroon would be to big, it says 1-2" thats a good size.

I am off to the store to get some kind of cream, if I even touch the area it starts to itch which sets off that cycle of... do I scratch... it would feel sooooo good, but also be so bad!! bad! hehe
Old 12/27/2007, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

Re: [B]What do you think of this guy?[/B]

Quote:
Originally posted by NaCl+H2O Fish
Y-DesygnGuy

What do you think of this 'Gold Striped Maroon Clown'? He may get a little to large for the RSM !!!?

[http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4

Regards,
Kent
Kent,
I have a Maroon Clown. He won't get to big for the RSM (and if he does by that time you will have a second bigger tank anyways... ).
If you plan on getting one it will be very difficult to add other clowns at a later time as the Maroons are quite territorial and will fight with other clowns. The Maroon clown prefers the bubble tip anemone as his host but might do well with other species. Otherwise it is a great fish, very peaceful against other tankmates (besides clowns) and a joy to watch.

Michael
MAXreefer

Old 12/27/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Found Them!

Y-DesygnGuy -

Found them...

http://www.orafarm.com/clownfish_species.html

From what I have learned, these folks tank raise their species!
Shipping might still be an issue for you, but they may be hardier stock.

My thoughts are if you go with the local LFS... I certainly would only take delivery of them after a couple weeks acclimation and a demonstration that they are willing eaters with no sign of ICK!

Regards,
Kent
Old 12/27/2007, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Long Term Planning LOL!

MAXreefer -

Michael- Thanks for the photo! What a beautiful pair!!!

I am definitely thinking a few months ahead because my RSM is still in the box! LOL Still working on my wife's HONEY-DO list and I am busy with a beautiful Brittany Spaniel girl - Cali.

Yeah... I am kinda thinking about a bubble tip half way up or on top of the LR (for good light) and a SINGLE clown. That way I have some other fish that I can add to the RSM and still keep the bio-load on the low side for the RSM.

Y-DesygnGuy - Topical Benadryl Cream ointment will probably give you the best relief. Go to a drug store and explain the rash to the pharmacist...

Regards,
Kent
Old 12/27/2007, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

Kent -- Yep those are them! ORA will not ship to an individual only to a Retail store. That is why im sorta stuck with that store, they are the only ones in Phoenix ive seen with them.

The Topical Benadryl Cream worked great thanks!
Old 12/27/2007, 05:16 PM
Genuine reef addict

NaCl+H2O Fish - no favorite Ebay vendors here - I just search for the item, then prices, then look at the seller's rating. Good luck with the Brittany training!

Y-DesygnGuy - the maroon clowns can get to 5-6", about 2-3 inches bigger than the percs & false perc types. I agree with MAXreefer - probably not too big for the RSM, as clowns don't need a lot of "waddling room" to be happy. Be careful with that lfs if he has ich in his system! I've read on my local reef club site that once you have it in a reef tank the only way to kill it is to remove all fish and go fishless for 6-8 weeks. That let's the various stages of the ich organism run their course, and if they can't find a host they'll die off. Other than the garlic remedy, and maybe cleaner shrimp helping, you can't add meds as they kill off inverts and micro life in the rock. Healthy, established fish can often fight off attacks, but newly introduced fish are usually stressed already and prime candidates for an ich attack. I'm very thankful, having no QT, that I haven't had to deal with it in the reef tank. I've had it in FW tanks more than once, and have had it wipe out a whole tank in a few days - and that was with being able to add meds.
Old 12/27/2007, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

ITCH

I do not know if this is true, but my LFS does sell itch medicine that it claims is totally safe for reef tanks. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the brand. You may want to call them to get information. It is the old town aquarium in Chicago, Il.
Old 12/27/2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Euroreef Nano Skimmer

I posted this information in this thread some time back, but there is some information indicating that the Euroreef Nano Skimmer will be available Feb., 2008. See here . This looks very promising as a viable replacement for the stock skimmer. Hopefully, it will fit well inside the RSM.
Old 12/27/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

RM or Mbdave - For the drop pump MOD have you noticed a significant decrease in output flow through one of the heads in comparison with the other? I just installed the MOD using a mj1200 and noticed the straight tube gets the most flow while the curved tube gets very little flow so I threw a rotating deflector on the straight tube which slighty increased the flow for the curved. But it still is a very very light flow. I am not too worried since I have a koralia 2 on the other side. Just checking to see if this is what you fellas experienced? Otherwise, my microbubbles are pretty much non existent. Another thing I noticed is that surface skimming has increased BIG TIME!!! Thanks Dave!

Another question. For the skimmer mod where you drill a hole and connect the air tube to it do you just drill and stuff the tube through? Or do you need some kind of sealer?

Also I already drilled a hole from when I first got the RSM to help the skimmer out but now I want to cover it up since it is right over the top of the hole in the cup and I dont want the air tube sucking foam. What do you recommend to plug up the hole? I was thinking just tape it up.
Old 12/27/2007, 05:59 PM
Genuine reef addict

Re: ITCH

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuart60611
I do not know if this is true, but my LFS does sell itch medicine that it claims is totally safe for reef tanks. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the brand. You may want to call them to get information. It is the old town aquarium in Chicago, Il.
I'd also seen something like this recently - reef safe ick cure. But, I can't remember the name of the stuff either. It wasn't cheap but it was a lot less than replacing expensive fish if it works. I think I saw it via one of those ads at the top of the Reef Central pages.
Old 12/27/2007, 06:07 PM
Genuine reef addict

Titans - I STILL haven't put the mbdave pump mod in - I'm really getting no microbubbles to speak of so I haven't been rushed to do it. I'm sure the next time I get a white-out in the tank I'll put the mod in, or the next time I pull the pumps to change the chemical media. Dave did say that the flow would be strongest through the straight pipe (path of least resistance I think). I think he posted a while back that he plugged up one port and was just running the MJ1200 out of one port now. He'll have to confirm that one. I would think that tape should work on the skimmer cup hole, or a blob of silicone adhesive.
Old 12/27/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Double Post
Old 12/27/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

Thanks RM. Yea, I wasn't getting too many micro bubbles either but I was getting white outs here and there so I figured what the heck.

So Mbdave, what did you use to plug up the other head?
Old 12/27/2007, 06:17 PM
Genuine reef addict

Reef safe cures?

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-12/sp/index.php

I don't think the one I saw recently was included in these tests.
Old 12/27/2007, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

Reefmack. Correct I do not have a reeftank at this time. I really like the tank, but I would like to keep clams and SPS, but I really don't know how much light I need. But I do know the RSM doesn't have enough light. Also I was looking to have a sump filled with live rock and pods.
I understand you can't add more lights to it, but you may be able to buy a new ballast for the tank and overdrive the lights. I tkink you might get a total of another 60 watts out of them. But I don't understand overdriving the lights so I could be wrong. But now if I had 170 watts of lights, would that be enough for SPS and clams?
I am looking at reef ready tanks. I am thinking about a 58 gallon. 38" x 18 1/2" x 21". Thats actually a little bigger than I want but a 40 gallon breeder isn't high enough for me.
I need to find out more about lighting. Like T-5 vrs Metal Halide. Does 150 watts of T-5 equal 150 watts of Metal Halive. Is it more or less.
Thats all for now.

Marty

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Reefmack
[B]martinphillip03 - I sure can't answer most your questions on T5 vs MH, etc. Without modding the hood you'd never get an extra bulb in - no room for it, and if did cut it up, you'd probably compromise the shock safety of the hood. Plus, the RSM bulbs are (unfortunately) a physical size unique to the RSM - they aren't the same size as typical T5 bulbs. I don't think you have an RSM - correct? Otherwise you'd know a lot of this already.

Last edited by martinphillip03; 12/27/2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12/27/2007, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hodge
I went ahead and cut a hole in the skimmer lid to fit the Tunze in it's recommended position.
After a quick "measure twice cut once" I went ahead and cut a hole with a jig saw.

The skimmer does work better at the proper level, making a consistent thick foam.
Fantastic job on the skimmer Hodge, just to confirm this is the Tunze 9002 model? I think I might put this on my to do list. Did you have to do anything special besides cut out the lid? and you can confirm NO MB since the new skimmer went in....
Old 12/27/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Well here's a update on the drop pump mod. I noticed the skimmer has lost its magic. Foam no longer reaches the neck of the cup it actually misses by an inch or more so I increased the water level to the point where my black gate no longer skims the surface and the foam still does not reach the neck. But as soon as I turn off the mj1200 that I used for the drop pump mod the foam shoots right to the top of the neck. What gives? I'm not much of a technical guy when it comes to this stuff. So is the mj1200 pulling too much water from the back to the point where it messes with the skimmer?
Old 12/27/2007, 09:12 PM
Genuine reef addict

Hi Marty. Well whatever tank you decide on you better let us know! On the equal watts of T5 vs MH, I honestly don't know. I'm not sure if it depends totally on wattage, or if the spectrum of light decides what is better. It may be both. I think there's a lighting forum on RC that you might post that question in and gets some good responses. I don't know anything about the overdriving either - my knowledge of that is totally nonexistent! While RSM light are used with SPS and clams, I suppose long term for an SPS/clam tank the higher wattage would be better. You could even try asking Red Sea support on the overdriving, and tell them you realize it would void the hood warranty but just would like to know if it can be done.

Titans - I think whenever you shut of the powerhead pump(s) that water will rise in back, which is probably why the skimmer foam rose up. But, maybe the MJ1200 pumps more than the 2 RSM pumps and enough water can't get through the gate to make up for the increased pump flow? You'd think it would reach an equilibrium though, otherwise the back would be pumped dry? In other words I don't have a good explanation! Is the level in the back lower than you remember it being with the RSM pumps?
Old 12/27/2007, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Treatment for ick is "Medic" by Polyp Lab. Reef safe.
Old 12/27/2007, 09:21 PM
Genuine reef addict

Quote:
Originally posted by donna53w
Treatment for ick is "Medic" by Polyp Lab. Reef safe.
Donna - I think that's the stuff I recall seeing not long ago!
Old 12/27/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

well my clown didn't ich his face at all today so i think everything is good! i also picked up some zoo colony's and a ricordia yesterday so i will post up some new pics tomorrow now that i got my camera back from up in washington!
Old 12/27/2007, 09:25 PM
Genuine reef addict

Good news Stephen - pics - yes!
Old 12/27/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

gigs,

Yeah, its the Tunze Doc Nano 9002. The new ones come with a magnet attachment forcing install on the control panel side right behind the overflow grill. The older stlye have an adjustable bracket which can be attached to the heater glass.

No MB from the Tunze, although I still get the odd burst from the pumps. I did finally get a MJ1200 but haven't installed it yet (hard to find the proper fittings in a small town)

Anyone with a stock skimmer want to try a simple mod/test to see if this will help increase the bubble flow to the cup?? It's just an ordinary sink drain pipe (cost $3.00) and it fits into the cup quite well (may have to do a little sanding and it would fit in snug without glueing in case it didn't work.

I think this could help, as I've seen a number of skimmers that use this principle of directing bubble flow.