Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy Starfish

I got a new Chocolate Chip starfish and everything was fine for about a week. All of a sudden it started to act funny. It went into the bottom corner of the tank and bent backward. Its stomach came out a little so I tried to feed it but it would not eat. I think it is dead now(It looked real bad but I didn't poke it to make sure yet - Had to run to work). All my water conditions are within normal and It was the only thing I added. It acclimated well (or so I thought). It is really wedged in the corner. I Hope I can get it out with out tanking all my live rock out. Any ideas of why it died so suddenly? Thanks.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:10 PM
Gold Star Recipient

Re: Starfish

Quote:
Originally posted by jacksonimaging
All my water conditions are within normal...
Can you please specify what normal is?

Quote:
It acclimated well (or so I thought)...Any ideas of why it died so suddenly?
What was the salinity difference between your water and the LFS water?
How did you acclimate it?
Old 12/26/2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

Salinity 1.023
LFS is 1.020
Nitrites and Nitrates 0
PH 8.2
Temp 78F
Old 12/26/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Oh I drip acclimated it for about 45 min
Old 12/26/2007, 02:34 PM
Gold Star Recipient

And at the end of 45 minutes was the salinity in the starfish's container the same as the salinity in your tank? I believe it is recommended to acclimate starfish and urchins over the course of several HOURS.
For some reason if they are exposed to a sudden change in salinity they undergo what I believe is termed "osmotic shock." After this exposure they can start to fall apart- and I don't think the change in salinity needs to be giant either. They are sensitive little critters (at least the big, pretty ones you see for sale at the LFS).

Check out Calfo and Fenner's book on Marine Invertebrates and, if you are looking into keeping corals, Borneman's book on Corals.
There are other parameters that need to be maintained and monitored and other factors you might want to consider if you decide to purchase another one of those big guys.

Old 12/26/2007, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

Thanks so much for the advice. I only have a plastic Hydrometer (cant afford the fancy one yet) So its really hard to check the salinity when I do the drip. I will be more careful next time. I feel so bad when anything dies. Thanks.
Old 12/26/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

i had also heard that exposing starfish to air will kill them rather quickly.. did you pull it out of the bucket or just submerge bucket into tank?

(that could be bad info though as i've never had one, but was told that by a guy i trust)
Old 12/26/2007, 04:02 PM
Gold Star Recipient

Quote:
Thanks so much for the advice. I only have a plastic Hydrometer (cant afford the fancy one yet) So its really hard to check the salinity when I do the drip. I will be more careful next time. I feel so bad when anything dies. Thanks.
You're welcome. Here are some articles that may be of interest to you:

Reef Aquarium Salinity: Homemade Calibration Standards
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.htm

Temperature Corrections for Hydrometers
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-07/rhf/index.htm

Specific Gravity Measurement
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu.../chemistry.htm

And a whole lot of others here as well:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=102605
The list on that one goes on and on.
Old 12/26/2007, 09:37 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Quote:
i had also heard that exposing starfish to air will kill them rather quickly
Nope, not true.

FWIW your salinity is dangerously low for inverts, and the LFS water even more so. Lots of them will be fine at the current levels, but for more sensitive species it should be at least 1.025. Unless the star had been in the shop for a long time I doubt that's what did it in though.
Old 12/27/2007, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

The pet store said that they keep the salinity lower because it is easier to acclimate from a lower salinity. I think it was in the pet store for a few days. Liveaquaria recommends a salinity of 1.023-1.025 - I thought I was ok. I am still learning! To much stuff to know! The starfish did die and it took me 20 min of frustrating pulling and moving live rock. The starfish was really stuck. I am finding out that saltwater is a beautiful and wonderful hobby, but it is full of frustration, mistakes and constant learning. I am not giving up! I was mad at my tank and myself but I am going to continue to push forward and do my best to do things right! You all will get sick of me asking questions but this is what I am going to do before I do anything new with my tank! Wish me luck on my endeavors! Thanks so much all!
Old 12/27/2007, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

I recommend Wet WeB Media. This site has alot of usefull info.