Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 10:48 PM
Premium Member

Ooops..did I just damage my RO membrane?

I just received an AquaFX 4 stage Barracuda RO/DI 50 gpd unit for Christmas. (YAY!!!) I followed the instructions to let it run for 15 minutes before capturing any of the water, is that enough? Although, after reading on here I see that I was supposed to flush the sediment and carbon filters for awhile before hooking them up to the RO, then let that flush for awhile before hooking it up to the DI. I didn't do that because the instructions didn't tell me to do that. Did I just screw up my RO and DI membranes? I don't have a TDS meter yet (it's coming).

Also, I don't think I am getting 50 gpd out of it. In 23 minutes I have filled one of those 5 gallon jugs (from the grocery store that you get for RO water) just under 2". I think that's a bit slow...? The PSI meter on the front of it says ~50 psi. I think this is the pressure of my feed line aka faucet psi? I think that's a bit low than "optimum" (although I know 35 psi is minimum)...?

One last thing...I can't figure out how to disconnect the lines now that I have them connected. What's the trick?
Old 12/26/2007, 11:36 PM
w3rd

make sure to use cold water. 23 minutes seems pretty quick. it takes me like 1hr and some minutes to fill up a 5 gallon jug with around 45psi or so

gpd is gallons per day, so if you continously run the ro/di unit you should get roughly that amount it specifies

and if theyre john guest fittings you just get the part where teh hoses connect to, push down and pull out the lines

i would just flush them out again and then hook up the di afterwards.
Old 12/26/2007, 11:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nietzsche
make sure to use cold water. 23 minutes seems pretty quick. it takes me like 1hr and some minutes to fill up a 5 gallon jug with around 45psi or so

gpd is gallons per day, so if you continously run the ro/di unit you should get roughly that amount it specifies

and if theyre john guest fittings you just get the part where teh hoses connect to, push down and pull out the lines

i would just flush them out again and then hook up the di afterwards.
Actually, I do think I am getting decent flow now as I am definately over 1/2 way full on the 5 gallon jug and it has taken 1 hour 31 minutes. So, if my math is right I am getting more like 75 gpd flow...? lol

I Google imaged "John Guest fittings", and I believe that is what is on my unit, but I can't decipher your disconnect instructions.

I don't have a "Flush kit" yet. It's coming in the mail, and should be here soon. I will use the Flush kit as soon as it gets here. Should that "fix" any issues I may have caused from not flushing to begin with?
Old 12/27/2007, 01:24 AM
Registered Member

I never had a problem with sediment filters, but the carbon ones can have a bit of carbon dust when you first use them, hence "flushing" them.

John Guest fittings have a smaller sleeve that fits into the main housing. Make sure this sleeve is kept flat to the housing, and you should be able to remove the hose.
Old 12/27/2007, 10:05 PM
Premium Member

^ Ok thanks!