Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Question Salt mixes?

What type of salt mix does everyone use and where do you get it from?

I have been using the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals since day one but am open to trying something better if it is advisable.

Do people do group buys of salt mix? If so is anyone planning one, or getting low and might be persuaded to start one?

Thanks

Matt
Old 12/21/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

I was using the regular instant ocean for years. Just started using reef crystals. So far so good. I got 1 bucket for about $40-44 delivered from big als online.

I'd be up for a Buffalo group buy on salt mix any time someone wants to do one.
Old 12/21/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

Yeah its $42 ($31.99/bucket and $9.99 S&H) delivered from www.drsfostersmith.com but still wondering if thats the best deal and even if its the best mix
Old 12/21/2007, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

I use Seachem reef salt. I've never had any problem with it and it mixes to good levels, pH = 8.1, Ca = 400 ppm, alk = 3 meq/L. I've read that some people have issues with this salt but I've never had a problem. I'm also interested in what everyone else uses, and why they use one particular brand over the others.

Also I would be interested in a group buy. Anything to save a little $$
Old 12/21/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

I use the Instant Ocean as well and have had good results. Like others have said I'm open to new ideas. If there is a group order I would be interested in getting in on it as well.
Old 12/21/2007, 12:24 PM
Wish coral grew faster

The only salt I have used that seemed to give me a lack of stability was Red Sea's brand.

I use Reef Crystals mostly and buy it in bulk when its on sale online for around 31./bucket + free shipping or cheap shipping. Thats 1/2 or better than 1/2 of what you can buy it from local stores for.
Old 12/21/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

reef crystals here I usually get it at MO
Old 12/21/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

KurtsReef, what constitutes "cheap shipping"? And from whom do you order it from? Thanks for the tip about Red Sea
Old 12/21/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

I use Coral Life and have since I started. It is high in calcium and magnesium which works for me since I have a large number of corals to consume it. I but mine in 300g boxes at Salt Water Paradise.
Old 12/21/2007, 04:08 PM
yes it's my aquarium

FWIW I regularly use Reef Crystals, Instant Ocean and/or Oceanic.
I've tried many other brands.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:27 PM
Professional Hen Teaser

reef crystals -never had a problem (at least that I'd attribute to salt)
Old 12/21/2007, 08:32 PM
Wish coral grew faster

Cheap shipping is either Free (Occasionally offered by DFostersmith and another online company I cannot think of at the moment) or standard rate no matter how much you order...which is Dr. Foster Smith's normal shipping rate. When you order 10 buckets divided between the 10 it works out to be pretty cheap.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:47 PM
yes it's my aquarium

the 160 gallon bucket of IO at Petsmart for $35.99 is a hard deal to beat. It's the everyday price online. You can save on shipping charges by picking up the salt at the store yourself but there's one catch: you need to print out the $35.99 online price and take it to the store with you.

I need to do an experiment to see how much kalkwasser it takes to mix up a bucket of IO to the levels found in RC. (Probably less than a dollars worth of calcium hydroxide!)
Old 12/22/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Great!! thanks for all the responses and I think I'm gonna try the petsmart w/ coupon deal. So you just buy non-reef crystals and then add lime?? I have a ton of Mrs Wages that I got from wally world on clearance. So if you figure out how much of that to add to say a five gallon bucket of saltwater and get back to us it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
matt
Old 12/22/2007, 06:09 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Matt: It's not that cut and dry simple. I would mix up the new saltwater and test it. Every batch of salt can vary and it usually does (within tolerances allowed by the salt manufacturer). Drip limewater as makeup water into the aquarium itself- don't add it to the freshly made up seawater.
Remember- limewater raises pH, alk and Calcium.
It's better to tewak freshly made up seawater with other things.
Since every reef aquarium with growing corals needs a calcium/alkalinity dosing scheme you should be testing the aquarium water itself and using something to replenish calcium and alkalinity.
Old 12/22/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
the 160 gallon bucket of IO at Petsmart for $35.99 is a hard deal to beat. It's the everyday price online. You can save on shipping charges by picking up the salt at the store yourself but there's one catch: you need to print out the $35.99 online price and take it to the store with you.
Thats how I get my IO, all I do is print out the page from their website and they'll honor the price in the store
Old 12/23/2007, 07:11 AM
Registered Member

Gary, how silly of me to think anything in this hobby is cut and dry or simple. I am new to dripping limewater and have been putting 1/2 teaspoon of Mrs Wages in a gallon of rodi water in a jug over my sump with some air line stuck through the side about an inch from the bottom. It drips in pretty close to the evaporation rate. I do not have a Ca or Alk test (shame on me and I'll go buy one today) so I have been going lighter on the lime in hopes of not overdoing it and just testing pH (I need to get a meter) Is this a good, bad or indifferent plan??

The "other things" you tweak with your freshly made up saltwater are what?

What do you recommend for Ca and Alk testing?

Thanks for any help/clarification you can provide

Matt
Old 12/23/2007, 08:22 AM
yes it's my aquarium

I would recommend getting alkalinity and calcium test kits- a Mg (magnesium) test kit would also be good to have. I use Salifert tests.

To tweak pH, Ca, alk etc. independently of each other kalkwasser is not a good choice because it won't work- it raises them evenly. To independently adjust those levels you need to use something else- like calcium chloride, baking soda or a two part like B-ionic (other choices are listed on the calculator site below). Magnesium should also be monitored and replenished. There's a number of Mg supplements available.
Save this online reef chemistry calculator to hone in on the target values for reef aquarium water parameters:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html
Old 12/23/2007, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

petworld in greece has 200 gallon io salt for $42.00.alot of the time they have a 10% off special.no bucket tho it comes in a box with 4 bags.
Old 12/23/2007, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

Reef Crystals here, no problem and usually get it at LFS
Old 12/23/2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

Plain old IO here. Figure I have to dose anyways, so the slightly lower calc/alk doesn't bother me
Old 12/23/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

I use Oceanic.
Old 12/23/2007, 07:14 PM
Killer of Giants

Reef Crystals
Old 12/23/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Cool link there Gary, I will be using that I'm sure.

Thanks for the input everyone.