Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

Maxi jet mods!!!

With all the new pebuilt maxi-jet mods on the market to chose from I'd like to get some opinions on which is the best and why. Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 12/21/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

I'd like to know as well.
Two part solution has one that does 10X flow

http://www.twopartsolution.com/index...roducts_id=379
Old 12/21/2007, 09:18 PM
Hawks Rule!

Here is another one people seem to like.

http://www.tritonaquatics.com/index.htm

Sandbeds operate like wormholes and the excess nutrients and detritus are transported to a sister galaxy - Bomber

12-7-41 & 9-11-01 Never Forget!
Old 12/21/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

I was looking at that one and one from http://www.tritonaquatics.com/index_...GulfStream.htm they both look good but I'm hoping to get some feedback to see what people like/dislike about these and others.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

Algae free...

I bought 2 kits from marinedepot.com but they suck big time, unless you buy the expensive magnet mounts, you won't be able to use your suction cup brackets, THEY DO NOT FIT straight to them...
If you buy the whole kit, mod and magnet it would make no sense since koralias would be a much better option

The one from twopartsolution.com does not show even a bracket to mount it

I would have bought the Gulf stream if I had seen it before.

I tried the one I bought off marinedepot.com tonight and WAY too much flow on a maxijet 1200 and equal was the noise.
I have a koralia 3 in my tank and still too much flow. since the shaft broke I decided to try the maxijet mod...
...disappointed
Old 12/22/2007, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

I never trust those suction cups on the maxijets - had to many suction cup failures and the power head blowing sand all over, or worse, shotting straight at a coral. THe suregrip magnets are a good investment for peace of mind, imo.
Old 12/22/2007, 01:06 AM
sweeeet!!

Just hooked the Sure-Flo from PA to my MJ400 for a test run in my 40g breeder. WOW!! I plan to implement 1 more in that tank and 2 in another tank, a 58g reef. Plan to run them on an Aquacontroller.

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for!!!
Old 12/22/2007, 05:50 AM
Premium Member

I just ordered 2 sets of the gulf stream II from Tritonaquatics...2500GPH is realistic from what everyone has said, and they offer a lifetime warranty on these parts. Will see how they do in my 180g 6ft. I also will be setting up my Koralia 4 in the back part (wideth) of my tank and the GS2 will be on the length side. Should be interesting
Old 12/22/2007, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

as far as puttin g them on a controler ., i would use the seio controler ,, if you make them turn on and off they will click till they start up right .. i can stand that noise

check my red house
Old 12/22/2007, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

bad investment...

Quote:
Originally posted by chillman
I never trust those suction cups on the maxijets - had to many suction cup failures and the power head blowing sand all over, or worse, shotting straight at a coral. THe suregrip magnets are a good investment for peace of mind, imo.

I agree the suction cups can't be trusted but is there a point by investing on an expensive mod just to have peace of mind?
the issue here is a cheap/affordable upgrade; if it was not the issue, why bother buying them when you can get a brand new koralia 2 3 or 4 practically for the same amount of the complete mod-kit.
Suction cups will keep the maxis against the glass but they fall cause of the weight/gravity issue, just place a plastic clip at top of the tank to secure the power cord and they should stay there almost forever, also silicone cups are a better option to replace stock rubber ones
This issue would be basically like anyone just starting the hobby, but the cheap, upgrade the cheap and in the long run, a good quality one is still affordable as compared to all the expense.
I bought the mod kits cause my koralia main shaft broke, at $15 plus shipping plus whatever the magnet mount cost... would it make sense to upgrede them?
I think I'll send them back to marinedepot to get the gulf stream a try
That's only my opinion and I'm still new at this hobby
Old 12/22/2007, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

Re: bad investment...

Quote:
I bought the mod kits cause my koralia main shaft broke
Contact Frank Moore
fmoore@hydor.com

I received replacement stainless steel shafts free of charge from them in five days.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1273789

Mitch