Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/22/2007, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

RBTA help??

So, i went into my LFS the other day to see if they had any new stock and they had a HUGE piece of LR covered in about 1000 zoas, some pocillapora, and one of the nicest chalices i have ever seen, it was in one of the larger tanks to the rear, they gave me a pretty good deal on in because it had a lot of aiptasia on it. So after i put it in my tank and all the polyps opened on it, i come to realize that the "aiptasia" are actually 5 dime sized RBTAS! My problem is that they are on the top of the rock closest to the lights, and when the lights come on they recede into the rock crevice they are in, is there any way to entice them to come out of the hole in the rock so i can put them somewhere better on the tank, or will they move themselves?
Old 12/22/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Try powerhead directly on them. If that does not wont they should move on there own.
Old 12/22/2007, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

dime sized BTA's? could be, more likely is, majanoes?
Old 12/22/2007, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

most likely is majanoes but there are some small BTAs out there...when i got mine it was the size of a quarter...
Old 12/22/2007, 12:25 PM
Moved On

I was going to say... MAJANOS? lol Be careful on thinking its a RBTA for now. I'd blow a powerhead like suggested and see if they crawl or float out. If they dont then you got yaself majano problem.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

Yea I was thinking majanos too. Could you get a picture of them? If they are majanos, you will want to kill them asap before they spread.
Old 12/22/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

I'll do my best to get a picture up, 4 of them retract into the rockwork where i can't even see them, but one is out almost all day.