Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

hammerhead CL

is it possible to use the drilled returns in my 180g tank as a drain to a hammerhead pump, so i can use it for a closed loop? It's dual corner overflows, 2 1" holes in each corner. I'll use 1 hole in each corner for my sump drain, and 1 hole for the closed loop? Will 2 1" holes be enough to supply the hammerhead? Also, if so, how many outputs should i use? I am going to use 3/4" locline i think.

thanks
nate
Old 12/21/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

I believe that the Hammerhead uses a 2 inch suction. Twin 1 inch lines will starve the pump. You will need twin 1.5s to be safe.
Old 12/21/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

marine depot say's it uses a 1.5"input and output. Would the 2 1" ers still starve it?
Old 12/21/2007, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

better off using two darts for more flow and less electric
Old 12/21/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

yeah, but the dart uses a 2" intake. I don't think i'd be able to run them. Deffinately not 2. I don't want to drill the tank and i don' want to have to make the intake go over the top. That's why i was going to use the return hole's as drains. So what's the best bet, go with a different, smaller pump? I didn't want to have powerheads in the take either and i want to have a mostly SPS tank.
Old 12/23/2007, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

so if i shouldn't use the hammerhead, what pump should i use? Would the 2-1" holes provide enough flow for the dart or should i go even smaller?
Old 12/23/2007, 02:15 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

2 X 1" holes does not equal a 2" intake hole. I had the same questions when I set up my 220 gallon and called Sequence. 2X 1.5" holes will supply a 2" intake. I ended up going with a hammerhead and supplying it with 2 X 1.5" holes incase a strainer gets gunked up a little.
Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 12/23/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

I have a 210 that is drilled with 1" holes and wanted to run a hammerhead for a CL. I called Sequence and talked with tech support. I was told that I could supply the 1.5" intake of the pump through a 1" drain and have no problems. I asked if the pump would cavitate and was told, not as long as I had at least 6" of 1.5" pipe right before the pump. The person I spoke with told me to just up size to 1.5" right after I came out the bottom of the tank and as long as the run from the tank to the pump was at least 6" everything would be fine. I was also told to run 1.5" back to the tank for as far as I could before I cut it back for the outputs. I would suggest that you just call tech support at Sequence and they can tell you what you can and can't do. They are very willing to help and very nice to deal with.
Old 12/23/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

No problem at all. I am running that on my 210 AGA, the only limiting factor is the overflow teeth. The two 1'' holes combined together to one will easily supply enough water for a hammerhead pump. You can see how i did it on my build thread. There is much more involved then just the hole sizes to calculate the amount of water it can handle.

Last edited by gabe3d; 12/23/2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12/23/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

awesome thank you guys soo much! I'm going to drill a hole thru the overflow box about half way up and run the drain pipe thru it with a strainer on the end so it's not sucking out the overflow box. Thanks for everything!
Nate