Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

I plan on hitting up petsmart or petco tomorrow and trying it, ill let ya know!
Old 12/21/2007, 07:58 AM
Genuine reef addict

stephensturman - Good explanation of why the air valve works. Looking forward to seeing others try it.

BTW, I received an email from Pinky at Red Sea, explining she'd be out for the holidays, and who to email if support was needed. I guess she must have been building an email list of those of us that have contacted her via email in the past. I thought that was a pretty nice thing to do for us owners. I still think they have great customer support.

Last edited by Reefmack; 12/21/2007 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12/21/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Fishy Something and Hodge, I wish I had heard of this book just a little sooner ... it would have hit my Christmas Wish List! (Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson). I have put in an order for one today, tho, so I'll have a late gift to myself. I can't wait to read it.
Donna
Old 12/21/2007, 12:02 PM
Genuine reef addict

At Laurent's recommendation my son is getting the Nano Reef Handbook for me. I've read the Conscientous Marine Aquarist - good general book also. The Clownfishes book sounds interesting too. Unless things change I doubt my Clowns will be laying any eggs on the Koralia!
Old 12/21/2007, 12:14 PM
Genuine reef addict

Anyone ever seen a curved steel bladed scraper for coralline? It's really tough removing it from the curved front corners of the RSM.
Old 12/21/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

stephensturman,
Maybe your stock air valve was faulty. Both my stock ones sealed properly and controlled quite well. I did try an other valve after your first suggestion with little change. It's
I'm using the stock rsm air valve on the Tunze skimmer mod I did without problems.

Like all the other problems we've seen with the skimmer, no two skimmers seem to be the same (except my two bubble makers) and no fix/mod works for anyone else except for the inventor. lol
Old 12/21/2007, 12:42 PM
Genuine reef addict

New air valve - 1 vote for, one against.

I agree - no 2 RSM skimmers seem to be the same. Must be some difference in the tolerances when they're put together, which I assume is done individually.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
At Laurent's recommendation my son is getting the Nano Reef Handbook for me. I've read the Conscientous Marine Aquarist - good general book also. The Clownfishes book sounds interesting too. Unless things change I doubt my Clowns will be laying any eggs on the Koralia!
I'm adding that to my library,(Nano Reef Handbook ) have to see if I can find it at the same place as the Clownfishes book. Thanks for reminding me, I have been meaning to find a decent book on small reef aquariums/nano reefs.... any other suggestions on books & reading are most welcome.

Donna
Old 12/21/2007, 03:09 PM
Genuine reef addict

Donna - I found "A Pocket Guide to Marine Invertebrates" by Ronald L. Shimek is a helpful book - covers everything from corals to shrimps (500+ species). It doesn't have every species in it, but it's a good reference guide. There's a fish version too (different author), but I haven't gotten that one yet. There are a lot of other books out there on similar topics. The one I got wasn't very expensive, but some are much more costly.
Old 12/21/2007, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

I've placed my order. Next time I will add the Inverterbrates book you suggested, Reefmack. The nano-reef book is for under 15gals but I'm hoping there's still useful info I can incorporate. Is that the one you have?
1. Clownfishes: A Guide To Their Captive Care, Breeding, & Natural History
2. Corals: A Quick Reference Guide by Julian Sprung
3. The Nano-reef Handbook: The Ultimate Guide To Reef Systems Under 15 Gallons

I'm keeping a list of what I want to order so please recommend any books that anyone of you know about. Thanks.
Donna
Old 12/21/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

new additions!
2 ORA black and white clowns
2 peppermint shrimp
1 scooter blenny

Old 12/21/2007, 05:12 PM
Genuine reef addict

Donna - correct on the Nano Handbook being for tanks 15 & under. Sorry I forgot that. Laurent explained that to me, but said most information in would also apply to the RSM, and he spoke highly of the book - that was good enough for me. I guess we'll both find out soon!

stephensturman - love those clowns, and I think scooters are really cool dudes! Good luck with them (and the peppermints)! Let us know how they do.
Old 12/21/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

I second reefmack's opinion on the "pocket guide for Invertebrates" better info on critters (snails, crabs, stars) than corals IMO.

Aquarium Corals : by Eric H. Borneman is supposed to be a good book. Every reefer I've met in person, had this book.

The 101 Best Saltwater Fishes: by Scott W. Michael is another book I have that is great for fish compatibility information.

Giant clams: by James Fatherree is a good book if you want to be an expert on tridacnid clams before you buy one.

Coral Propagation by: by Anthony Calfo is supposed to be the "be all end all" of aquarium gardening (everyone's waiting for the new release last I read)
Old 12/21/2007, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

FOUND IT!

So I ordered a Koralia Nano power header, I wanted to add it in the bottom right corner of the tank. I felt the water flow behind the live rock sucked and needed something. After a few seconds of being on... low and behold there was the missing mushroom rock! In the very back of the tank up side down in the sand! I rescued it and put it back in front with the rest of the mushrooms! I am very happy about that, I hate losing things! I am still putting the blame on the Yellow Watchman Goby, he looks at me funny!

stephensturman -- Where did you go to pick those up? I was in Aquatouch yesterday... Their prices are so outrageous I think, they have great stuff, but my god!$!$!$! I live out in the north side of the valley and their just isn't any stores out here, I have go across town to get to them.
Old 12/21/2007, 07:16 PM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - that's great on the nano blowing the mushroom into view. I think a stern scolding of the goby is in order!
Old 12/21/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Donna if you want a really good beginners book get John Tullocks "The Natural Reef Aquarium" also the three books, The Reef Aquarium 1, 2, and 3" are a must. Daniel Knop wrote a great book on clams called "Giant Clams" there are so many. On the RSM"D" the first prototype was not to my satisfaction. It worked well but the cup design is flawed, also I was getting micro bubbles and I want none, so I have cut number two with some changes, but I'm going to FL Sunday and won't get to assembly until I return on the 2nd "if I have recovered from the Gatorbowl.... Also I saw some chatter by lpsluver on loosing clams, "dude" you have a parasite or something killing your clams 10 is not lighting. Death from low light is a slow process you willl have slow bleaching then shrinking, and ultametely death. Get Knops clam book see what you can find out but wow 10 in 6 months is a big problem$$
On the RSM skimmer I still say the biggest problem with the unit is the innability to control level in the skimmer without using the level in the back compartment. Also I read where people have good luck with the skimmer at first "lots of effluent" then it tapers off. Remember the bio load in the tank with rock curing is astronomical compared to after curing and you have a steady environment in the tank. Don't bank on success later as the load drops. The true ability of a skimmer is after the bio load goes down and it still skims a dark odorous effluent. I don't say this because I am building a new design "I probably will be much to lazy to make many units if at all it performs like I hope. I say the RSM stock unit is still way too unpredictable and unreliable. I have modded mine to where it performs pretty well but still will get smoked by my ASM or other skimmers "ETS, Reef Creations, DIY..etc, etc.." that I have used in the past. Great reefing guys I will drop in while in FL and probably before I leave. And I will try to get some pic's of the 40.
Chow,
Dave
Old 12/21/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

y-desygnguy~ i get most of my stuff from paul at azseabottom. i got the ORA clowns for 30 a piece and the blenny for 12.
Old 12/21/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...3022&siteid=20
Mommy
i want it!!!
Old 12/21/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

Wow I have paid allot more for allot less red people eaters.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...3017&siteid=20
Old 12/21/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

hehe yeah I tell ya , that goby is always eyeing me!

I picked up a new fish yesterday at the above mentioned over priced fish store. I was looking for a purple fire fish for a long time. All the stores around here seem to always have the normal red ones, so when I saw one I grabbed it!

See even in this picture the goby is still looking at me!

Old 12/21/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

well i just looked a little closer at one of my peppermints and she has a ton of eggs so hopefully she will still be able to lay them and give me a bunch of babies!
Old 12/21/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

stephensturman -- AzSeabottom huh, I haven't been out there since I got the RSM from him. Its about a 100 mile round trip drive to that place for me.

Good luck with the baby shrimps!
Old 12/21/2007, 09:10 PM
Genuine reef addict

mbdave - on lpsluver's behalf he pretty much said exactly what you did about parasites killing his clams, but he lost 10 clams in 6 weeks, not 6 months!: "My RSM is no longer a clam tank as I had some parasite wipe out about 10 of them over a period of about 6 weeks......" Pretty sad as they were all beautiful and some had grown quite a bit from what I remember seeing a top view of his tank. Have fun at the Gatorbowl! I wonder if there's an easy way to cut a few inches off the bottom off the RSM skimmer to sink it lower and get the water level higher in it? Think that would work? Mine never did much skimming from day 1, probably because my rock was really well cured, and i never had a lot of die-off and a big bio-load due to it. On the liveaquaria offerings - have you been a good boy this year? If not ,you might only get a lump of coal, not a lump of coral!

Y-DesygnGuy - maybe it's just gobies - of all of my fish, my big shrimp goby seems to always stare at me like he can read my mind! Nice purple fire fish. Why is it that the stores with the largest & best selection also have the highest prices? Same here. Must be higher overhead keeping a large selection of fish, corals, critters, etc.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Hrmm just looked back at my thread and it sounded a little rude lpsluver if you took offense please forgive as I wish not to be rude or confrontational.
I have not found a way to cut the skimmer down RM except for closing it off and raising the discharge,"mbdave mod 1" I usually always start with cured rock I've cured enough over the years and wish not to cure anymore.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

stephensturman,
Any idea how long they carry their eggs before laying them?? One of mine was carrying eggs and now I haven't seen her for a couple days??

Y-DesygnGuy,
Nice fish...looks like an angry drag queen. lol Does it twitch it's top fin...my regular colored one does. Unfortunately mine hides in a cave most of the time other than feeding.

MBDave,
Can you think of the reason why rsm would design their skimmers width to basically divide the back compartment, forcing the circ pumps to draw water underneath the open skimmer bottom?? This has me confused as it seems to be the contributing factor in bubble leak.

Did anyone notice how stephensturman has his Korilia mounted?? It's mounted on the back glass instead of having the ugly black magnet puck on the side glass...smart idea!!