Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 09:11 PM
phins are on the clock

ot-work place mis-haps

Today I accidently ran a man lift into the tail of the plane I was working on. It made a very nice dent in the tail. Good thing it only did $3000 worth of damage. Anybody else have any mis-haps you want to share?
Old 12/20/2007, 09:27 PM
overcompensator

I was doing a used car packege on a F150 the deatalers under coated the frame and it was still wet. Needless to say when it feel 6 feet betwwen the rack poles it totaled it and was stuck for 2 days till the tow truck drivers found a way to get it out.
Old 12/20/2007, 09:40 PM
Premium Member

I cut my finger once.

Venture forth and enjoy life .... the only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.
Old 12/20/2007, 10:05 PM
phins are on the clock

Quote:
Originally posted by capncapo
I cut my finger once.
How much was the Band-Aid?
Old 12/20/2007, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

I threw caution to the wind and went without one.

Risky........ I know

I'm just crazy like that.

Venture forth and enjoy life .... the only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.
Old 12/20/2007, 10:27 PM
phins are on the clock

Safety first!
Old 12/20/2007, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

I hear you!

I NEVER to go work without wearing a condom.

Old 12/20/2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

at a fruit stand I worked at one of the cashiers gave 3000 dollars in cash to a customer while the boss was in the can.....and at a limo company I used to work at some drunk guy pucked 8 times in the party bus....and another drunk crashed his car into the garage doors (2) not one lol
Old 12/21/2007, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

I don't make mistakes.

....and capo as far as condoms didn't they use sheep guts back in your younger days?
Old 12/21/2007, 12:50 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by icepick96
I don't make mistakes.

....and capo as far as condoms didn't they use sheep guts back in your younger days?
What do you mean back in my younger days?

Some things just can not be improved. Baaaaaa Baaaaaa

Old 12/21/2007, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

i had a limo smash in the back end of my truck after a gig in NY. No damage to the truck but the limo looked messed up.

"The cheese stands alone."
Old 12/21/2007, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

lol you wouldnt believe how messed up limos get when they go out....one time someone sliced all 4 tires and broke in and took all of the liquor, sound system and the strobe lights....that took a long time to fix....and a little over 15,000 dollars in damage

and the shuttle bus which is painted in the rams colors was spraypainted and had alot of volger words and phrases....lol sp. on this post is crappy sorry...
Old 12/21/2007, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

I was upgrading a clients server. All was done and I was going to pull a new back up after a reboot to check that it would auto start like it should. Everything was working perfectly so I deleted the latest backup (to make space for a fresh one) and restarted the server to begin the new backup.

The entire system had been in service for a year without any trouble and I had just changed some software, nothing too serious. For some reason, upon last reset the mainboard corrupted the hard disk data. Gone, done. Come to find out, the other backups from just days before were no good due to his employees). Just goes to show, you never know how good your backup is, until you need it.

This happened on Friday at 9pm. I had until Monday 6am to have it fixed or the company would have employees in several states not able to work. Luckily, I recovered the old data from the system I had it all back up on and deleted (good disaster recovery software is always a good thing). Everything worked out in the end luckily.

Odd thing is, I have messed with the hard disk and the motherboard in other boxes and never had the problem again. A better backup system has now been installed (3 in fact) and I don't delete anything until another backup is made and verified.

A few from when I was in the Air Force.
I knew a guy who despite being told, washed the canopy on an F-16 fighter jet with citrus cleaner... Which just so happens to eat the nuclear flash/radiation protection from it and can craze the canopy. I do not remember the price tag, but it was more than he made for his entire enlistment.

Another guy pushed a wing into the hangar doors, no damage to the jet other than a wing tip light and a dent in the hangar door.

Or the guy who basically bleached the entire paintjob on his F-111 trying to get it clean...

Last edited by sheepdog43; 12/21/2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12/21/2007, 04:52 PM
reef addict

i was turning a bearing journal that gets installed on a propellar shaft for boats on the river and these are worth 2000.00 for 54" long bearing journal and i got carried away on my lathe and turned one .015 undersize and scrapped it.
Old 12/21/2007, 04:53 PM
reef addict

glad i'm maintenance machinist now and do mostly repair work.
Old 12/21/2007, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

When I was doing mostly repair work, classified as a Maintenance Machinist, I got stuck on a 30 ton punch press production run because the die had to be checked and reset fairly often as it was too big for the press really. Anyway, I had to run 1200 plates through 8 different dies. I was down to the last couple hundred on the very last run and well, I got careless and lost half of my right thumb. The die was set for .050 thickness and the plate was .050 which left exactly 0 clearance when my thumb was in there too! I learned a lot of respect for machinery that day.
Old 12/21/2007, 05:38 PM
reef addict

production workers at olin run presses, tool and die developers and makers take care of dies, i take care of mechanical problems on press like last night cam shaft on 7 bliss 300 ton press that punches cups for 50 caliber ammo broke into two pieces. the machinist which what i am by trade make parts on lathes and milling machines but also do repair work on all roll mills, slitters, annealing furnaces, and press. I am a troubleshooter so i cruise around in a scooter with a radio waiting for something to break so i can fix it quick and keep production going. Alot more fun than sitting a lathe all day. Sorry to here about your thumb i know alot of guys without thumbs or a finger or two.
Old 12/21/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

I think it just goes with territory in the old days. Your job is about what mine was. I really liked not knowing what I would be fixing next. Like you said, "waiting for something to break". It was a cool job to have and I learned so much too. You get to experience a lot of different things in that position. Sometimes I still miss it and that was twenty, ummm, lots of years ago.
Old 12/21/2007, 06:34 PM
kz skimmer rocks

i shot a 1 1/2 inch staple through my thumb

didnt you do something to a plane last year
Old 12/21/2007, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Shooting things through your hand hurts...
Old 12/21/2007, 08:01 PM
reef addict

it is a great job robbie there are very few places i can make this kind of money being a machinist only other places that pay more is south side machine shop, anheiser bush, and boeing, and very few others in missouri. One of coolest mishaps i seen with no one getting hurt is a molten metal furnace full of copper blowing metal out the top when wet scrap gets charged in furnace, looks like fourth of july except you have to get out of dodge quick.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:17 PM
phins are on the clock

Quote:
Originally posted by chadfarmer
i shot a 1 1/2 inch staple through my thumb

didnt you do something to a plane last year
I don't think so, but we did have a guy taxi one into a fence. He damaged the wing tip on the day the plane was to deliver. Needless to say, he didn't get a raise that year.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:24 PM
Premium Member

Not a workplace incident but.....

When I was MUCH younger I was welding up a set of custom headers for my car. Started on Friday night and worked through the night until about noon or so the next day. Somewhere around 10:00AM I had an itch on my head. For some reason I tried to scratch it with the hand that was holding the torch.

Only cost me a bit of hair for a while.

And....YES....they had cars back then.

Old 12/21/2007, 09:50 PM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by capncapo

And....YES....they had cars back then.
Model T's just came out

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."
Old 12/21/2007, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

I like the sound of a 5 pound piece of ice falling off a 250 foot tower crashing onto the top of your work panel van. speaking of F150s you can drop a 1.5 inch box wrench through the hood and dent a valve cover from 175 feet. to this day I still don't know what a hard hat is for because you can still smack your head on angle iron 6 feet in the air and it still hurts while you bleed

People have always been terrified of what they do not understand