Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

Cutting coast to coast overflow

Would a rotozip with a diamond cutting wheel be the best way to cut into the tank to make a coast to coast overflow? I saw one thread that used a router after emoving the trim but seems hard to find any info about how to do this. Using a dremel seem a little sloppy.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:33 AM
Frag-a-holic

Look at the first page of my build thread(red house). It explains the steps I used to cut mine.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 12/21/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Nice tank you built. What tools did you use to make the cut of the weir. I could not find any steps in you thread.
Old 12/21/2007, 04:51 PM
Frag-a-holic

Sorry, I thought it was on there. Here is a snippet from another thread I posted it in.

"It is really not hard to cut and work with glass, but as a disclaimer, it is also not too hard to chip it or mess it up. I chipped my overflow when cutting it because I got in a rush. Luckily I was able to work around the mistake. You could possibly get a glass shop to cut it for you. The way I did it was by using a 45mm diamond hole saw(the only size I have since I usually run 1" bulkheads), I cut the 2 corners. Then I put a straightedge(metal) and used a diamond tipped dremel bit and went along the straightedge. To clean it up, I used an orbital sander with aluminum oxide sandpaper and rounded the top edges and made sure nothing was sharp. With the dremel tip I had(I was cheap and should have gotten a better one), it took forever. What I did was just kinda up and down like a angled sawing motion while a buddy of mine held the hose keeping it nice and wet/cool. I should also mention that I used the extension attachment for the dremel so I didn't have to worry about getting the dremel itself wet and rusting out the bearings. Good luck and if you need any more guidance, let me know."

Old 12/21/2007, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

I like that method. Thanks for your time.
Old 12/21/2007, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

Is it better to use a diamond tipped disc or the tip with the small diamond encrusted ball on the end, tapered bit??
Old 12/21/2007, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

Be sure to wear safety glasses, when drilling or dremeling glass.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:08 PM
Frag-a-holic

I used the tapered bit. I would not be opposed to trying the disk, I just couldn't find one when I was looking for it. With the bit I used, it took what seemed like forever.

Old 12/21/2007, 09:10 PM
Frag-a-holic

BTW, I totally forgot to wear safety glasses when I was cutting mine. Do people actually wear those things if they are not mandated by their work?

Old 12/22/2007, 01:52 AM
Registered Member

One more question please.... When you used the hole saw for each corner, did about 25% of the hole saw spin in the air (above the rim of the tank) or did u put the hole right below the rim. The reason I ask is im worried if using a hole saw so close to the top can cause a crack.
Old 12/22/2007, 07:19 AM
Registered Member

Safety glasses should always be worn while drilling or cutting glass. I work with a guy that lost an eye while core drilling glass on a bridgeport. A 1mm shard was all it took to take his eye. BE SAFE.
Old 12/22/2007, 11:12 AM
Frag-a-holic

Yes, part of the bit was hanging over the edge of the glass. The way I determined where the bottom of the weir would be is this; I measured about 1/4" above the black trim while it was installed. This way, I never see the waterline while the tank is running. Are you familiar with drilling glass already and how to start the hole?

Old 12/22/2007, 12:38 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

Has anybody ever used a tile saw to cut one of these? Seems like it would be pretty much the same as the dremel bit, just much faster. When I had granite counters installed the guy cut out the sink hole with a tile saw. Cut very nicely....

Anyways, just thought I'd ask...
Old 12/22/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

The rotozip tile bit is what I used to cut mine, and it worked great. Cut it just like butter!
Old 12/22/2007, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GrandeGixxer
Yes, part of the bit was hanging over the edge of the glass. The way I determined where the bottom of the weir would be is this; I measured about 1/4" above the black trim while it was installed. This way, I never see the waterline while the tank is running. Are you familiar with drilling glass already and how to start the hole?
I have never cut glass with a hole saw but I have read plenty and watched a few videos. I have access to a drill press and may use that if i can manuever the tank under it. I am worried that the drill press may offer control but it may be hard to control the amount of pressure. Cordless drill maybe the way to go . Im trying to find a guide for the rorozip.

reeffer1, did you use a guide?
Old 12/22/2007, 05:24 PM
Frag-a-holic

I don't know about the drill press. When I cut a hole though, I start the bit at and angle. As soon as it has gone in a little bit, I hold the bit upright so now I have a full circle. Then I start occilating(sp) the drill around so it doesn't hang up or anything that could possible crack the glass. This is all done applying minimal pressure to the glass. When I see a little water going through the other side, I stand the bit back up and hardly press on it at all until it goes through. This is to minimize chip out on the other side. Make sure you have a towel or something soft for the piece of glass to fall onto because it could crack the glass if it fell at the right angle. If I were you, I would find a local glass shop and get a piece of 1/4" plate glass about 12"x12" and practice drilling a couple of holes and a couple of straight line cuts with the dremel. This sample glass wouldn't cost more than 3-5 bucks, but it could save you a lot more if you jump into doing the tank before you are completely comfortable.

As for the tile saw, that is a big investment for a 1 time project. I dont know how easy it would be though manuvering a tank around a small tile saw unless you are talking about a different type of tile saw? HTH, Joe.

Old 12/22/2007, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

I plan on using a rotozip with diamond cutting wheel. Its like a big dremmel. I dont think i will have the patience to cut with a dremmel and may try to rush and crack it.
Old 12/22/2007, 09:24 PM
Frag-a-holic

Sounds good, let us know how it turns out. I would definatly try on a practice piece before trying on the tank though.

Old 12/22/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Ya i will practice first. Thanks for all your help.
Old 12/23/2007, 02:42 AM
Frag-a-holic

NO problem, good luck.

Old 12/23/2007, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

No, I cut mine free hand, with a lot of patiance it can be done. I would recommend the rotozip tile bit it works much better than the diamond dremmel bits. Just remember lubricate lubricate lubricate..........