Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

How should Tangs poop look?

Hi I have had my power brown tang now since October, he was in quarantine for just about 8 weeks, I medicated him for internal parasites, and gave him a week of antibiotics. He went from being very sickly and thin

to looking like this

I just introduced him to the main system last week. I never noticed him poop in the Q tank, but now under the nice lights I noticed that he poops big clouds of green. Is this normal for them? Since my clown is the only SW fish I had for 4 years I have little experience with others. He never pooped that way. The PB eats well, I give him a flake of formula one every morning, and a sheet of nori every other day. He also pics the algae off my TBS rock, including the hair algae. I feed mystis shrimp once a week.
Thanks for any input.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:46 AM
Registered Member

I can't really tell what he looks like without a head on shot. Tang poop should be in loose clumps and should kinda fall apart in the current but not all of it. It should also be kinda dark green or brownish. Sounds like what you described is normal. I would feed him more nori. I have nori on a clip all day long everyday. He just graze on it whenever he wants. I also give them mysis everyday. Protein encourages growth. I had a brown like yours but had to trade it in because it fights with my purple a little too much. Tang poop also fertilizes corals.
Old 12/21/2007, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

maybe he has diareha.....fee him some peptobismol
Old 12/21/2007, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

Ok, I will try to get a head on but he moves all the time, it can be a challenge. I think that he must be ok then. The Q tank didn't have as much flow as this one too, so maybe it is just breaking up more so I notice now.

95accord I thought about pepto but only had maalox and wasn't sure if it was reef safe
Old 12/21/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

Herbivore poop will break up more than carnivore poop,which is more solid. If your tang is eating and continue to put on weight it should be OK.