Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > El Paso Marine Aquarium Society (ELPMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Jay, that looks good! Can you say Breaded Crusted Tilapia!
Old 12/20/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

O wow ok that is neat never seen that before......
Ok i could bring some frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms, and krill. Does it matter the brand of frozen food???
Old 12/20/2007, 03:17 PM
King of the Tank!

Quote:
Originally posted by Salty Sam
Jay, that looks good! Can you say Breaded Crusted Tilapia!
Mmm Mmm Goood!

Jay
Old 12/20/2007, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Salty Sam, liquid garlic from Kent Marine, was one of the thing i was hoping someone had sitting around. good additive for some home made fish food.
Old 12/20/2007, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

I can bring some Flat Worms.
Old 12/20/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

I have some Kent Garlic Xtreme and Nori.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:24 AM
Registered Member

I can bring some frozen mysis cubes and plankton cubes (the orange kind)!!
Old 12/21/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

I have some frozen Rotifers also.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

I can bring some cyclops. Like cyclop-eez but just a different brand.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

Does it have to be Selcon, or would you accept Kent Zoe? I'd like to come...make it family friendly for about 45 minutes to an hour and I will definitely be there! I'll drag along some extra garlic extreme just in case the other provider doesn't show and I'll hit the seafood counter at the commissary, they might have mussells or something even more appealing.
Old 12/28/2007, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Remember

Garlic once made liquid will not stay potent long. garlic Extreme is good only for helping the fish start to eat. Fresh garlic is the ONLY source of garlic that is immune system boosting.

Allicin is produced immediately upon mincing the garlic glove and quickly breaks down. That is why marketed bottled garlic is virtually useless and the hobbyist needs to use fresh garlic.

Steffen Sparks
Old 12/28/2007, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

rlcline76, that fine with me. Does it have to be Selcon, no its a basic list to work from. family friendly , not sure what you mean by that, but if its related to kids , then yes kids are more then welcome. mine will be here and i know a couple other people that bring thier kids as well.

not feeling good the past couple days. need to do the flyer and finish an actical for the reef mag on our local club.

i think we will be getting a bunch of 5.oo pizzas from one of two places that have hot and ready for 5.oo make it simple sense i do not know if it will be warm enough for start the bbq. i am still open on this.
Old 12/29/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

I have one question. Are we going to make this an actual meeting. I know that some people were a little disappointed last time for how short it was. If people are going to be driving long distances lets make it worth the drive. For example lets do the food making thing and then lets talk about establishing the club a little more. Lets talk about things that people might have questions about and lets start making this a proper and more organized club.
Old 12/29/2007, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

I second what starsbravo said. We need to get a bit more organized. I think the only way that is going to happen though, is to get more input from everybody. It can be in the form of suggestions here on this thread, posting some ideas for each meeting and then making a plan for the meeting and try to follow it. There is always time for just a little BS session before or after the real plan of the meeting.

I am willing to do as much research as needed to answer questions for any subject that anybody wants to bring up. I am also sure that there are others that will help in this area.

It might also be a good idea to talk at each meeting before we end it, about what anybody would like to do for the next meeting.
So far the meetings have not been very structured and that is something we all need to work on to hold the interest of the members.

Any of you that have attended the meetings and any of you that plan on attending meetings, please post your thoughts here and let everybody know what you would like to discuss or do at a meeting. I hope we can get lots of ideas. We can't go with every idea for one meeting , but we can try to make a plan for at least one or two things for the next meeting and keep a list of the other ideas and get to them in the meetings to follow.

It seems like we have gotten kind of stuck on just having a free for all and a frag swap, rather than a structured meeting of any sort.

These are just my thoughts and if anybody has other ideas as to how we can better the meetings, please feel free to speak up and lets hear them. This can only grow and work for the good of all if we all put our part into it.
Old 12/30/2007, 03:59 AM
Registered Member

I would agree as well. I have attended two meetings since hearing bout this group. The first meeting was pretty neat meeting every body too bad i couldnt stay too watch the fraggin demo..... Second meeting was interesting as well liked the demo on the osmolator.

Maybe have a poll on this forum with different ideas that could be brought up in more detail during the meetings, just a suggestion.

For instance i always would love to learn more about sumps and there purpose..... also different stradegies on certain aspects in reef keeping like calcium, nitrate, and phosphate levels. How to bring calcium up and control nitrates and phospates.

I also think that demonstrations really grab my attention! Maybe have another demo for this coming meeting, which i am pretty sure killingseed will have enough to show us on his setup to be a demo.

Just some suggestions and thoughts i would add..... other than that becoming associated with RC and all of you guys has really made reefing more fun and exciting for me!
Old 12/30/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

I will be doing a presentation on the denitrator showing how it works and why it is a good application. Jake i have already made four and two are fully cycled just need to be tuned a bit when i get back from oklahoma.

Also i would love to se more structure in our meets i was a bit disappointed since i took off of work and drove 45 minutes and gave away like 9 frags and left empty handed. Not trying to complain but just saying. Also i will be bring back 40 frags and colonies of zoa, polyp, and other coral. Thanks

Steffen Sparks
Old 12/30/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

sorry out of town, in tucson right now :> may or may not go to the LFS.
Old 12/30/2007, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

John If you get the chance to go to southwest saltwater over there you should go.

Jake write down the things you mentioned in your post and lets get a list of ideas like that started. If everybody makes suggestions like that and just says what they want to learn more about, then that will be a great start to having some structure to the meetings if we use it for that.
Old 12/30/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

puffin04 - that is awsome would you be interested in selling one
of them?? If so i would be interested.

stratvoltage - ok did you want to start another thread with ideas
and suggestions or just start it here on this
thread?
Old 12/30/2007, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Hey Jake, it's up to you. It may be best to just go ahead and start another thread and we can all add to it but keep it for just that and not for general chat.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

as soon as i get back in town i will do the write up. i should be back tue, wed the latest.

going to head to tucson in the after and check out southwest saltwater.

also should have the next two meeting setup or underway maybe the next three. the more i am able to setup them up ahead of time the more that can be a ranged per meeting.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

yeah jake i will sell you one i think they are online already. Takes about 6 weeks for them to work. You will need a small pump to drive the water through it and i will show you how to tune it. Depending on the trickle right it will produce nirides or will zero out all of them. Thanks

Steffen Sparks