Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

Help Please...Fish Tank Stinks!!

Hi All,

Let me start by saying:
My water is good.
I have done water changes of ~15G 3 of the last 5 weeks.
My skimmer is turned up so I get a little "wetter" skimmate
I'm running a "long-lasting" charcoal that Ken from AC suggested

I say that because I know those are common ideas when dealing with a "stinky" tank.

OK, so my problem:
MY TANK STINKS!

It's not gagging smelly but it's definitely worse than I would hope. I'd describe the smell as a strong "tank" smell. A tank should have an "earthy" smell like a light skimmer from what I know. I'd say my tank is a little closer to a true skimmer. It smells like waste/detritus/mildew.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the smell down?
Old 12/19/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

If you are smelling mildew, you might just have some mildew. Ever have a spill that might have seeped into the floor or carpet?
Old 12/19/2007, 11:46 PM
Premium Member

Hmmm....................

Interesting Idea!

I did have a "decent" freshwater spill a while back. I think I dried it out well enough. Plus, the smell seems to be coming from the tank. If you put your head over the sump the smell is obviously stronger.
Old 12/19/2007, 11:47 PM
Premium Member

One guess...Are you using Eco or Macro rocks? Dried LR?
Old 12/20/2007, 12:17 AM
Premium Member

I don't know what kind of rocks I have. All of them have been in my tank or a friends tank for at least a year.
Old 12/20/2007, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

carbon is your best friend.............
Old 12/20/2007, 01:12 AM
NaH2O

Quote:
Originally posted by jedininja
If you are smelling mildew, you might just have some mildew. Ever have a spill that might have seeped into the floor or carpet?
That is an interesting idea...I would've never thought of that one =P

This may sound ridiculous, but I'll throw it out there anyways. Is by some long shot something dying/dead in the tank?
Old 12/20/2007, 01:13 AM
Premium Member

What kind of skimmer are you running? do have a fuge? a floss filter or have you changed anything in the past couple of weeks?
Old 12/20/2007, 01:19 AM
Team RC Member

Be careful about that carbon: carbon will release all it sucked up, if kept too long.
Test for ammonia/nitrates, just in case, check your alkalinity, and maybe run a 1 micron filterbag to get any transparent goop out, if there should be any.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/20/2007, 01:28 AM
Byte mechanic

When I moved my 58, the carpet under one corner of the stand was BLACK. I'm pretty sure it wasn't from the black paint of the stand (not even sure the bottom is painted).

It took many passes with a carpet cleaner, and spot remover to lighted the carpet. It's still very noticable.

I'm guessing it's mold/mildew that made that stain from some stupid unnoticed spill.

V
Old 12/20/2007, 01:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
Be careful about that carbon: carbon will release all it sucked up, if kept too long.
how long is too long?
Old 12/20/2007, 02:03 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I did have a fish die in the tank a few months back and never found the body. I don't think that he's "still around".

I know carbon can be bad, but this particular brand is supposed to be long lasting with little to no leaching. I tested my chems to make sure and besides a low slightly low Alk, PH and Ca everything is perfect.

I'm starting to think it might be my "algae wall" on the divider between my fuge and sump. I just cleaned it and added a micron back to pick up the waste. We'll see how things smell tomorrow.

Please keep the suggestions coming as I have guests arriving for parties this weekend and I don't want to have them asking my wife about the smell.
Old 12/20/2007, 02:13 AM
Premium Member

Thats why I asked about your Fuge, when I power down my fuge tank and it starts to empty that Algae stinks to high heaven.
Old 12/20/2007, 02:52 AM
Tailspot Blenny

exposed rock / algae smells HORRIBLE. if your water level has gone down a bit recently or something's sticking out that used to be in the water, that'll do it.

When I change water in my 40g breeder (no sump) frag tank, IT STINKS until the water level is replaced back to normal levels.
Old 12/20/2007, 12:40 PM
Premium Member

OK, I just scrapped off the "algae wall" that covered the divider between my sump and fuge. WOW! That stuff does stink!

I'm sure my tank will stink for the rest of the day now, but my fingers are crossed for tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.