Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

I love my MRC equipment

I am new to this thread and would like to share my set up with you...This is my MRC Skimmer in action.

This is my fish room with the MRC Calcium Reactor on the second shelf. It's a dual reactor.

Great Thread! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me!
Old 12/15/2007, 11:43 AM
Ryan Steagall

Quote:
Originally posted by rsteagall
First off... Merry Christmas!

Secondly... I'm getting ready to get a pump for my MR2. I'm wanting to go bigger than the bare minimum, so I'm looking at the Gen-X PCX-70 or the Pan World 200PS. Am I doing right by getting more than the bare minimum? Which pump is most suggested if my main concern is noise? Any other thoughts?

Lastly... This thread has been split 3-4 times. Has anyone developed a FAQ and How-to that consolidates all this information?
Bump... I need to order a pump asap. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 12/15/2007, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

rsteagall,

I'm using a Pan World 200PS for my return pump feeding my 210G display, 75G RDSB, and a 60G frag tank. It's quiet and I've had no problems with it when I've throttled it back in the past.

In the past, I had used it to feed twin becketts on my MR2 and was happy with the performance.
Old 12/15/2007, 09:24 PM
Premium Member

I'm still having problems with a fluctuating water level in the main column. As I mention a few posts back, the water level will be good for several days, the for no reason that I'm aware of, the level will drop in the main column. Can anyone help me with this problem please?
Old 12/16/2007, 01:18 AM
Ryan Steagall

Newsalt, is your return below or above the water level? Do you have an ATO?

In other words with the questions above, is something affecting the return from the skimmer? If NOTHING is affecting the return, something in affecting the input performance.
Old 12/16/2007, 09:00 AM
Premium Member

The return from the skimmer is above the water level and I do have an ATO. For instance, it happened again overnight. Last night the water level was up to the first flange. When I woke up this morning to check it, the water was halfway down the main column. Can't figure it out.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:59 AM
B'rer Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by newsalt
The return from the skimmer is above the water level and I do have an ATO. For instance, it happened again overnight. Last night the water level was up to the first flange. When I woke up this morning to check it, the water was halfway down the main column. Can't figure it out.
I am having the same issues. After running flawlessly for a nearly two years, my MR-7 suddenly began to exhibit these exact symptoms. I have cleaned and re-cleaned the unit, checked the pump (Sequence 4300), removed the cotton balls from the air intakes, and tried resetting it as per suggestions mentioned here (i.e: Setting water level just below the Becketts and adjusting the intake valves.) Interestingly, many times, adjusting these valves will make no difference...the level will remain the same from nearly closed to wide open. A couple other things I've noticed is that the sound of the air intakes definitely varies. Also, the unit will function normally for a while once it has been turned off for several minutes then the bubble column will collapse back to the first riser once again. I have another pump and some new intakes on the way; hopefully this will solve the problem. Would appreciate some other suggestions though.
Old 12/17/2007, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

what size hose do you used on the collection cup?
Old 12/17/2007, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

I'm not sure of the size. It's whatever fits onto the cup and waste collector connectors. My guess is it's 1/2" I.D.
Old 12/17/2007, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

if that air line gets stop up the water in the the skimmer will go down.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

Im sure its just that I don't have my skimmer dialed in right, but it only makes great skim when its dirty. after I clean it, it makes good foam, but it doesn't really start making a good amount of skim until its really just black dirty. does anyone else have this problem?
Old 12/18/2007, 08:34 PM
Ryan Steagall

Quote:
Originally posted by RGibson
if that air line gets stop up the water in the the skimmer will go down.
Good thought... I haven't taken my mr2 out of the box yet, but if it doesn't have a way for gas to escape except for the tube to the waste collector and that gets stopped up... it will build up pressure and do exactly what you mention. I've seen this happen on some skimmers i've had in the past where the air hole at the top gets clogged with skim.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Re: I love my MRC equipment

Quote:
Originally posted by dca22anderson
I am new to this thread and would like to share my set up with you...This is my MRC Skimmer in action.

This is my fish room with the MRC Calcium Reactor on the second shelf. It's a dual reactor.

Great Thread! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me!

NICE TANK!
Old 12/19/2007, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Thanks jaws_too!
Old 12/19/2007, 05:54 PM
B'rer Reefer

In my case it WAS the pump that caused the problem. Installed a new one this morning (5000) and everything is back to normal.
Old 01/04/2008, 03:44 AM
Registered Member

Hi all - I just go my MR-2 so im a newbie in the club.

Quick question - due to space constraints... will the mr-2 work fine if i use a T and 45 directly after the output but it would be an 1" or 2" below the water line ?
Old 01/04/2008, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WeeJ
Hi all - I just go my MR-2 so im a newbie in the club.

Quick question - due to space constraints... will the mr-2 work fine if i use a T and 45 directly after the output but it would be an 1" or 2" below the water line ?
you just want to make sure and use a tee for an air-break.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

I'm still having a problem. It skims well for about a week and then bam, the water level in the main column drops.3-4 inches. I understand that sometime a skimmer stops skimming if there's nothing to skim or if you put your hands in the water, put having the level drop 3-4 inches in the main column? Something doesn't seem right. Can someone help?