Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

What size breaker

What size breaker do you all use on your tanks? And what size tank do you have? Im going to be setting up this 210g and I want to run it to its own breaker. I know I need to install a gfi also. I cant get the gfi breaker for the pannel I have in my home. I have the ****ty zinsco breakers
Old 12/19/2007, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

Depending on how far the tank is from your breaker box, I would go with #12 wire to a 20 amp breaker. for a 210 I would run 2 lines to be safe. I have 4 dedicated 20 amps on my 560/g which looking back is a lot. I wanted half my lights ( I have 4 400's watt lights ) on one circuit 2 on another and my pumps split on the other two. my thought process is I didn't want my pumps on the same circuit or my lights all on one circuit incase one pops. hope that helps.remember you only want to go to 80% of a breakers value so its not as much as it sounds.

Remember I'm not a electrician and you should contact a licenced electrician or engineer before doing anything.
Old 12/19/2007, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Two different circuits is definitely a good idea. GFCI's a must as you stated. Now, 2 15 amp circuits would be "Ok", with 2 20 amp circuits best. 14 ga. wire for 15 amp and 12 ga. for the 20 amp. As nyvp said I split my lights and pumps over both the circuits I run for my tank. Return pump on one circuit, close loop pumps on the other.
Old 12/19/2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the info