Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would your next tank be acrylic as well?
Affirmative (yes) 36 35.29%
Negative (no) 66 64.71%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12/19/2007, 10:05 AM
In over my head!

Still very happy with my acrylic tank. Yes, it takes a little more caution when cleaning than a glass tank, and yes it's possible to scratch. But, even after 2.5 years running this tank, I have only collected a few minor scratches, nothing that compels me to pull out the sanding kit.

Nothing beats the clarity, even with acrylic 1" thick. Here's a recent fts:
Old 12/19/2007, 10:07 AM
In over my head!

Quote:
Originally posted by steve1963
Does that mean you trust the glue with acrylic more than the silicone with glass?
I wouldn't call weld-on a glue. It's a chemical weld that melts and joins the acrylic pieces. Silicone is a surface adhesive only. And yes, I trust that bond on acrylic significantly more than I trust a silicone seam on a glass tank. I have glass tanks 55g and below, but acrylic for the big one.
Old 12/19/2007, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

Very good thread.
I had a 210 gallon glass leak on me over the weekend, wow what a mess.

Been thinking acrylic for replacement but cost & the scratch factor is giving me doubts.

But I don't think I'll do glass anything over 200g.

I'd rather have some scratches then a leak / breakage on my glass tank when I'm not home.

Acrylic for me!!

How does everyone keep their acrylic scratch free??
Old 12/19/2007, 03:38 PM
Retired Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by jrcastro
How does everyone keep their acrylic scratch free?? [/B]
Thats what I'm wondering. How much would it suck to blow 2 grand on a nice 210g acrylic tank, only to have one piece of live rock fall, hit the front pane, and leave a huge scar?

I can't help but imagine it...

Old 12/19/2007, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jrcastro
Very good thread.

How does everyone keep their acrylic scratch free??
You can make your own scraper from a piece of acrylic. Cut it at 45 degrees and sand the edge sharp as a razor. I attached mine to an old scraper I had for my glass tank. It was a heavy duty scraper with the black padded handle and the changeable blades. They do make a plastic blade for it but the one I made is stiffer and works better. I use that on the deep sections. For the shallow stuff I just use the scraper in my hand.

For the daily cleaning Magfloat makes I scraper just like the one for glass but it has a blue housing and is made for acrylic. I found that taking a nylon sponge filled scowering pad, removing the sponge and inserting the magnet works way better than the magnet itself.

I had a glass tank that leaked 3 times causing me major frustration. Fortunately my floors are 100% tile. Yet after the 3rd time that was it. I made a template of the tank, since it was a custom glass tank to start with and had an acrylic tank made. I'll never do glass again. The tank I have now is optical quality acrylic, cost me just about a grand to have made and I couldn't be happier.

I have one scratch that I caused putting all my live rock in it 2 years ago and it's still there. I'm waiting for another scratch so I can make it worth the time to fix them both. Guess I'll just have to fix that one scratch because I can't seem to make another one on my own.

Tip for keeping thetank scratch free. Remove the magnet when not in use. I found that magnet to be the single biggest risk factor in scratch prevention. All it takes is one guest to grab the magnet and run it into the sand and you'll have scratches. Or your kids could do the same if they can reach it. For some reason that little square box seems to attract attention.
Old 12/19/2007, 04:37 PM
In over my head!

Also, my tank is BB, which reduces the risk of getting a piece of sand under the cleaning magnet.
Old 12/20/2007, 06:41 PM
Retired Reefer

34 yes
58 no
Old 12/20/2007, 06:56 PM
King of the white corals

another key to keeping your acrylic free of scratches is to keep up on the coralline scraping. if its light its no big deal. You let it build up(like i regularly do), then it is a PITA and more prone to making scratches when it takes several hard passes with a scraper to remove the stuff.

with a glass tank you can let it build up all you want and just take a nice straight razor and be done with it
Old 12/21/2007, 05:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thats what I'm wondering. How much would it suck to blow 2 grand on a nice 210g acrylic tank, only to have one piece of live rock fall, hit the front pane, and leave a huge scar?
I'd be more prone to ask this question if it's glass. You're basically screwed with a scratch on glass. There's also the possibility the glass would crack if live rock hit the front pane.
Old 12/21/2007, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

Wow this is a great thread. I am also very torn on the subject. I really like the idea of a custom drilled starfire tank. But the fact that an acrylic tank is lighter and almost unbreakable plus the chemically welded seam are all very strong arguments. Plus I will have a newborn in the next few weeks and I have read a little about accidents with kids and flying objects that I find pretty scary. A scratch is one thing. Your whole reef and investment sitting on the living room floor is something else entirely.

The only thing that I am really worried about is what is the best for photography. Besides my love of reef creatures, taking pictures of my reef as it develops is my favorite part of the hobby.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:10 AM
Premium Member

I have a 220 gallon acrylic tank up since 2000. The biggest factor for me is the weight. If I go bigger, I would definately go acrylic again.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:49 AM
Premium Member

I voted no. I have a 240 gal bowfront in acrylic, and I love almost everything about it more than glass (clarity, strength, weight, availability of different form factors, etc) but the scratchability makes it a deal breaker for me, were I to go through it all again. I do agree though for anything but a display tank, acrylic is the way to go.

jds
Old 12/21/2007, 08:55 AM
Premium Member

Hmmm...I wonder if it would be possible to have a thin piece of lead-free glass (or some other material I suppose) that could slide in right behind the front display side of an acrylic tank. I don't think you could adhere it properly in a permanent fashion, but maybe if it could just slide in and be held in place...that would protect the inside acrylic from scratches. Not sure what that would do optically. And, of course, I'm sure that coraline would find its way in there. Hmmm...I think we need a new "hardened" version of acrylic. Somebody get on that!

Old 12/21/2007, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

This is just another one of the many questions in this hobby that can’t be answered. Either you will love it or hate it.