Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

looks good ! now you need to put six in each box !
Old 12/17/2007, 09:37 PM

Looks good. I think they look just as good as the wave box...have you looked into using the AquaSurf on them or are you turning some off at night?

Have you taken any temps yet?
Old 12/17/2007, 09:37 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Six would be sweet but I would consider that grounds for divorce given their cost.
Old 12/17/2007, 09:39 PM

what, you tellin'?
Old 12/17/2007, 09:44 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Looks good. I think they look just as good as the wave box...have you looked into using the AquaSurf on them or are you turning some off at night?

Have you taken any temps yet?
I have never been one to turn my pumps off at night even when I was running Tunze's but I have considered getting an aquasurf but I am not real crazy about the mod that needs to be done to make them compatible.
Old 12/17/2007, 10:35 PM

yeah, the mod is what it is, and it negates your warranty. But it does offer control far superior to the WWD and the Tunze controller. Whether you need it or not is a different matter.
Old 12/17/2007, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

triggerfish1976

different subject. how did you route out the 1" acrylic? what type of bit and method? thanks
Old 12/18/2007, 03:19 AM
TRC Leader

That looks awesome. I really like what you've done, and the suggestions Tim gave you seems to have opened up all kinds of options for you.

Perhaps a cover would be good for the opening, or perhaps a rim at least to avoid water following the top surface and into the box some day.

Can you hear them running? Is there a resonance from the hollowed area?
Old 12/18/2007, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

hmmm hate to be the negative one here but I would think in time salt creep will get in that box. just because its close enough to the waters surface. keep us posted. if the dry side gets any moisture I think it would become toast.
also, even though the top of that box is open,the heat would build up in there fast
Old 12/18/2007, 09:43 AM
Anti "So called Expert"

The top of the box is basically sealed so salt creep shouldn't make it into the box.
Old 12/18/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Hey Triggerfish your pm box is full
Old 12/18/2007, 03:01 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Its been cleared.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

hmm I've seen saly creep make it 12'' up to my reflectors [at least spotting etc..]. what about heat because it is now enclosed? basically
also, do they not have to be ''inline'' with each other? wireless?
I know little about these powerheads but have followed most of the threads/issues
Old 12/19/2007, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

hmm I've seen saly creep make it 12'' up to my reflectors [at least spotting etc..]. what about heat because it is now enclosed? basically
I know little about these powerheads but have followed most of the threads/issues
also, thats a lot of realstate eating up by a box.
I know your just posting a fix but for the average person making those boxes as nice as you did ain't easy
Old 12/20/2007, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

i need 2 boxes like u are using for the pumps , did u make them? mine dont need to be that big. This is a great idea. i have a 3/4 inch acrylic and im scared the pumps will ruin the sides of the tank at high speeds.

thanks
jeff
Old 12/20/2007, 04:04 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Quote:
Originally posted by john rochon
also, thats a lot of realstate eating up by a box.
I know your just posting a fix but for the average person making those boxes as nice as you did ain't easy
Keep in mind that the top of each box is open which allows heat to vent. I ran a temp. of the inside of the box and I it runs on average around 82 degrees with two pumps in one box.

The controllers are mounted externally and I have them in line so they are all communicating with each other just fine.

They actually take up about the same amount of space as a Tunze Wavebox but the design allows them to blend in much better. They can also be made much smaller but I want the flexibility to be able to run 3-4 pumps in each box.
As far as the build goes, they are built just like internal overflow boxes so most tank builders should be able to construct these without any issues.
Old 12/21/2007, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

Cool

thanks for the answers!
Old 12/21/2007, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

The controllers are mounted externally and I have them in line so they are all communicating with each other just fine.
Just to make sure I'm not missing anything, what do you mean when you say you have them "in-line".

I have three of them, with the drivers mounted to my stand and they are next to each other. One of the drivers is the master with the other two set to slave off of it.

Just FYI (don't want to hijack your thread), but my tank is 3/4" acrylic and the pumps are mounted directly onto the tank. They've been running for about a month without any problems. I do have a ceiling fan over the tank that is on whenever my lights are on and I keep the house at 78.

I haven't noticed any problems and the tank itself, where the pump is mounted, is not all that much warmer than the surrounding acrylic (I remove the pump and check about once a week).

Mike