Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 12:43 AM
Premium Member

2 part question

I'm new at this and very interested in this. After you mix all your 2 part Ca, Mag, Alk how do you determent how much to add and how often? I've been reading all the post about it and I'm lost.. right now I use all seachem Additives/Supplements how can I relate to those?
Old 12/19/2007, 03:19 AM
Team RC Member

Use this handy calculator to determine dosage.

Just make sure you estimate actual water volume and not actual tank size.

Reef Chemicals Calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html
Old 12/19/2007, 03:55 AM
Premium Member

so the calculator will go along with the recipes? with making 1 gallon at a time.
Old 12/19/2007, 04:00 AM
Team RC Member

yup.
Old 12/19/2007, 04:04 AM
Premium Member

thanks for the info!!!!
Old 12/19/2007, 08:15 AM
Reef Chemist

Once you start dosing (which the calculator is good for), trial and error is the best way to determine the final dose.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

Re: 2 part question

Quote:
Originally posted by frazier
I'm new at this and very interested in this. After you mix all your 2 part Ca, Mag, Alk how do you determent how much to add and how often? I've been reading all the post about it and I'm lost.. right now I use all seachem Additives/Supplements how can I relate to those?
2 parts are great for maintain levels but keep your other additives for raising the levels of calcium alk and magnesium
For eg if I need to raise the level of calcium I use Kent turbo calcium and if I need to raise the level of alk I use Kent super dkH

again the calculator on the first thread is excellent for using these supplements.
Old 12/20/2007, 02:21 AM
Registered Member

assuming I've determined the amount of Ca/Alk to dose on a daily basis to maintain current levels ...

If I am using dosing pumps via a controller (e.g. AC jr) ... any thoughts on when/how the Ca/Alk should be dosed?

For example, say I need to dose 100ml daily ... should I use one "large" dose of Alk at "night" time (to help offset lower PH?) and Ca to follow some hours later or should I distribute "small" doses of Ca/Alk alternately over a specific number of intervals, or ...?

Thanks!
Old 12/20/2007, 03:25 AM
Team RC Member

If you have the ability. I would say small doses over the 24 hr period would be best., although I don't think it matters that much considering the small percentage of calcium and alkalinity a tank changes in a 24 hr period.

But if you want to get down to brass tacks (so to speak), the less you change your tanks chemistry at one time, the better.