Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

Should I try to patch this silicone?

I got this tank used and when I got it home I saw a small spot that was pealed back a little about mid way on the right side. I was wondering how I would go about fixing it, its a 120 standard tank. It dose not go all the way to the seam but its far enough in to make me wonder if it would have an effect. I was thinking that I might be able to just cut away the loose part with an exact-o knife, clean the area and put some fresh silicone in place. Here is a picture of the spot I’m talking about.

Is it something that I should even worry about? The guy that sold it to me said that it was holding water fine, and I have yet to try.
Old 12/18/2007, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

To be safe I would just reseal the seam. Can't really tell how bad it is from the pic, but since the tank is dry and not yet set up, its alot smarter to fix it now.
Old 12/18/2007, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

By reseal, do you mean take it off the all of the silicone from that seam and add fresh silicone?
Old 12/18/2007, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

I think you have 2 options.

1 is to do waht GMaquarium suggested which is completely strip all of the silicone from the entire seam, clean it very well and reseal.

2 Strip the silicone from the area that is peeled back but take more than just the exact area that is peeled. You want to get into part of the seam that is still good and intact. Then clean very well and reseal that area.

Whichever you do, test the reseal before actually putting the tank into use.
Old 12/18/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

yea, I Bryan got my idea. To reseal it right, you would need to get all the old silicone off. Just slice it off from the top of the inseam, meaning you would not dig into and between the glass and for
sure do not seporate the seam. Just clean it off and apply new silicone, run your finger along the seam to smooth it out ( I use rubber gloves, silicone is a pain to scrape off your fingers).

Normally when I have old tanks with beat up looking seams, I just reseal all of it, test it and forget about the silicone for quite some time. I use Pefecto brand silicone, its the same stuff they use on their products.

Now the seam might not even be as damaged as I think and Iam telling you to do way more work. So bjromaine's option #2 would be good enough
Old 12/18/2007, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick responses. Ill give it a shot and let you guys know how it turns out. Last question though, what do I clean it with?
Old 12/18/2007, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

Start with a brand new razor blade. Once you scrape of the silicone real well, I typically take a clean cloth, dabbed it in rubbing alcohol and run along the seam I want to seal. I've done this on a 75 and 90 and it worked real well.

Here's something else you might want to try...take some blue masking tape and tape off where I want the seam to end. When you're done with the silicone, you should be able to pull off the tape and have a nice straight seam...assuming you don't load the tape up with silicone. The next time I have to reseal, I'll give this a try. My finger always leaves a mess. Give it a try and see how it works.
Old 12/18/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

and when you think it's clean... change to a new blade and try again... you'll be surprised