Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 01:19 AM
Premium Member

Puffer!

i think i found the puffer i want! so i figure if i gotta be brought down from this excitement, might as well be now. anyone have or know about striped dogface puffers? i really like the look and from what i read, they're a lot like the regular dogfaces.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

They are basically color morphs of normal dog faces. They are pretty cool looking.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:12 AM
Team RC Member

Is it really a color morph of the dogface (A nigropunctatus) or is it a different species?

I saw this on the Marine Center web site:
http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/puf...dogfacepuffer/

The reason I bring it up is that dogface puffers are one of the "smaller" species. Does this one stay the same size?

EDIT: taxonomic issues aside, they do appear to be about the same size. Nice looking fish.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/Spec...ry.php?id=7187
Old 12/17/2007, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Hmm thats odd. Different speices or not the general care should be basically the same. I would put it in at least a 90 gallon (I'm assuming its going into your 125?)
Old 12/17/2007, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

yep, he's gonna be in the 125g. i like the looks of him a lot more than the regular dogface. i was going to get a porc puffer from my LFS (they have a porc and a dogface), but he only eats live food. the dogface is very personable ( they've had him for 3 months), and eats just about anything i put in there. i work there part-time, BTW. and by putting a smaller dogface in place of the porc, i can put in more fish.
Old 12/17/2007, 04:06 PM
Team RC Member

sounds like a plan! I'm a big believer in getting "the" fish I like, but also making sure there is enough room for the other fish I like.
Old 12/18/2007, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazedpuffer
Hmm thats odd. Different speices or not the general care should be basically the same. I would put it in at least a 90 gallon (I'm assuming its going into your 125?)
General care sure, but the question she raised was more about mature size than anything.