Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2007, 10:37 PM
Unregistered Member

My boy got snipped on Thursday and I need some help

My big boy Saint got cut on Thursday and he was fine until last night. He has major swelling in his scrotum and in the penile area. He also has a swollen penis and it gets erect quite often-this might be hormones?? He was 14 months at operation

This is not a joke and I am looking for help tonight, our vet is not open on the weekend and I have tried calling the HS and too no avail.
His stitches are still in place but rather swollen. I have been giving him aspirin for the pain and the slight fever----does any one have some input on what to do until tomorrow when the vet opens?????????

Is there an over the counter to help with the swelling? I do have some left over Cephalexin from when he had a cold-maybe that might help

He is still eating small amounts and drinking very little

Chelsea_____where are you on this one????????? I need some help tonight as he is very hot to the touch as well?
TIA
Old 12/16/2007, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

Webster groves animal hospital is open late/weekends you might be able to give them a call just to ask a technician...

Sorry to hear it it's hard enough with out added pain.
Old 12/16/2007, 10:50 PM
Ruger dog

It sound like an infection. I know from previous experience that aspirin is bad for dogs, so I would discontinue that. I would swab the area with hydrogen peroxide 3% and wait for the vet to be open, he needs anitbiotics

**edit**
I would not give him any more people medicine until advised by a professional vet type person. There are many people meds that affect pooches adversly.
Old 12/16/2007, 10:59 PM
Unregistered Member

He was a rescue and is scared to death of cars. I had to lift 160lbs of dog to get him into my brothers mini van too get him cut-now he is even more scared of cars. I tried to get him in my car and he snapped at me because I put pressure on his bum while picking him up trying to take him to a vet that closed at 12.
I will not have my brothers van until tomorrow evening and I want to make him as comfortable as possible until then. He is really hot.

I have also posted on a few dog sites as well but I am hoping Chelsea sees this and will instruct. The dog forums have been disappointing to say the least, as they are not local and I do not frequent them
Old 12/16/2007, 11:04 PM
Unregistered Member

Quote:
It sound like an infection. I know from previous experience that aspirin is bad for dogs, so I would discontinue that. I would swab the area with hydrogen peroxide 3% and wait for the vet to be open, he needs anitbiotics
He is in severe pain and he snapped at me "Alpha" when I was trying to attend to it. I do not blame him as he is in obvious pain and it is instinct. I have tied a shirt through his legs and tail too keep him from licking the swollen area. Any thoughts?
Old 12/16/2007, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Webster Groves is only closed from 2 am to 6 am and they have an ER. Sorry, I dont know how to get a hold of Chelsey.
Old 12/16/2007, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

http://webstervets.com/

(314) 968-4310

Im sure they can offer a lot better advice than any of us.
Old 12/16/2007, 11:18 PM
Unregistered Member

I will call them but I do not know how I will get him there?? I just want to bring down the fever!!
Old 12/16/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Hey - I was a vet-tech for many years. This is just my opinion...
1) Could be an infection or
2) Bleeding from a vessel that was not properly ligated during the neuter. Do not give him aspirin...this will cause him to bleed more if that is what's going on, and it isn't good for doggies and kitties anyway, tylenol is a no no also.
The best thing you can do at this point it to somehow get ice on the area, this will slow down blood flow, and the chemicals that cause the pain....and of course will help with swelling (if infected). Also remember not to apply ice directly to the area, some frozen peas work great, just wrap them in a towel so that the coldness doesn't cause any damage to the tissue. Hope that helps some....just get him to the vet ASAP, best of luck with your baby, if I can help with anything else just PM me.
Old 12/16/2007, 11:27 PM
Unregistered Member

I will give it a shot with the peas. I can stuff them in the T-shirt.
TIA
Old 12/16/2007, 11:28 PM
Losing my mind

Did you take his temp rectally? What does the thermometer say? PM me your # and I'll give you a ring.
Old 12/16/2007, 11:30 PM
Unregistered Member

What would the infection come from??
Old 12/16/2007, 11:44 PM
Unregistered Member

# sent
PL
Old 12/16/2007, 11:49 PM
Losing my mind

The infection could come from anything and everything, bugs are everywhere and despite the sterility of surgical equipment sometimes these things do happen.

I agree with Kelly...DO NOT give him any more aspirin as it is an anticoagulant and might make things worse (depending on what the problem is). Does he have any bruising in that general area? Did the vet say anything about him having a retained testicle that he would've had to "go fishing" for?

Also, before you get too concerned with the fever, check and make sure he really does have one. If you could take his temp (rectally) and post your results on here Kelly or myself could tell you if he truly does have a fever. Sometimes dogs can feel hot but not really BE hot. Also, as I've seen frequently from working at my vet's office, sometimes dogs can get nervous and cause their temperature to go up, but if they're given the chance to relax and we take the temp again it could be normal.

How do his gums look, are they extremely pale/white or are they a pink color? Does he have any nasty discharge coming from the incision site?

I wouldn't get too carried away with the hydrogen peroxide either...while it usually does help sometimes it can bubble things into the wound instead of bubbling things out.

If you could take his temperature it would help determine how bad things really are, but from what you've said on here it doesn't seem to be life threatening. That being said, please make an appointment with your vet tomorrow
Old 12/17/2007, 01:43 AM
Premium Member

I had the same problem with my dog. I went to webster groves animal hospital and found out that it was a bad infection. I had to spend some big bucks but it was worth it. I hated to see him suffer. the bleeding wouldn't stop so we used some powder to stop it. a lot of antibiotics. I will never go to the humane society again. webster and Vogel vet clinic is the only place I go now.
Old 12/17/2007, 02:10 AM
I'm not scared, Are you??

Really sorry to here about this Geo . Wishing you the best over here.

What we have hear....Is failure to communicate.
Old 12/17/2007, 10:00 AM
Moved On

hows your puppy phil?
Old 12/17/2007, 10:13 AM

Yea Geo my wife wants to know if hims ok??

Old 12/17/2007, 11:49 AM
Unregistered Member

Just got back from the vet and he is on a round of antibiotics, steroids and pain/sleeping pills. It was very infected and it happened very fast. We go back on Friday for a review. He is out cold for about the next 6-7 hours and is feeling no pain!
Old 12/17/2007, 12:43 PM

Glad to here that Geo.

Old 12/17/2007, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

Wow Phil, glad to hear your doggie is at least pain free. I will keep my fingers crossed.

"Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the face."

Mike Tyson
Old 12/17/2007, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

good to hear! That was my wife that typed in a reply she was a vet tech forever and now a nurse so I was hoping she could help....when I saw it I had her try to help as much as possible asap. Hope he gets up and going soon!

Kelly
Old 12/17/2007, 06:32 PM
phins are on the clock

Glad your dog is ok.
Old 12/17/2007, 07:06 PM
Unregistered Member

His sack is still very swollen and I might take him in tomorrow, or at least call. His scrotum with testicles was about half of a tennis ball and now it is about the size of a full one. I will give the meds time but it might need to be drained. He is no longer getting spontaneous erections so that was a release of hormones-IMHO and he has been sleeping from the pills. I am set to give him one more round in about 1/2 hour after dinner.

You guys/gals have more interest than the Bernard forum!

TIA for the remarks and Hercules will appreciate one day by not eating you
Old 12/17/2007, 07:47 PM
Moved On

you should get those fake testicle implants they sell so that he doesn't miss his jacobs