Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2007, 09:08 PM
Professional Obfuscator

'nem update:

It's back on the rock...a little smaller than usual. I did try to feed it, but it recoiled...that's okay though...it was traumatized...
Old 12/16/2007, 09:34 PM
Genuine reef addict

Looks like you tried everything I can think of Y-DesygnGuy. It's just strange that it coincided with putting the cannister it, as if it's somehow related. Also strange that turning the cannister off does nothing. I'm stumped on this one. The only thing left to consider is that the placement of the cannister pipes themselves, even with the cannister off, is doing something, but what I have no idea. Unless the pipe itself is somehow keeping bubbles from popping that normally would?

Rue - that's much better news. I hope the nem pulls through OK. Based on what happened to Kmjoen it looks like they can live through a lot of mishaps!
Old 12/16/2007, 09:43 PM
Professional Obfuscator

LOL...I was pretty upset...I hope he's okay too...his clown was distraught...
Old 12/16/2007, 09:43 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Double posted...not sure how...

Last edited by Rue; 12/16/2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12/16/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Folks;
Just added my first corals after 6 weeks today!! I've really been patient, &, perhaps the answer with the RSM. Some, but minor bubbles with the skimmer on. My only mod was to cut the black foam in half. Take Care All, & Hope to Post some Pics Soon!
Jerry
Old 12/16/2007, 11:43 PM
Premium Member

Y-DesygnGuy Just a thought, as I saw some of this with my chiller as well. If your canister is feeding directly after the skimmer, perhaps the intake is pulling larger bubbles that get cleared easily with the baffles or just in the skimmer chamber. Once the bubbles go through the canister impaler and media, it is broken into smaller micro bubbles and returned to your tank.
Old 12/17/2007, 03:16 AM
Premium Member

Hey guys was wondering if some one could help identify the white "thing" that looks to be engulfing my new sun coral. The wife bless her heart bought the sun coral for me today but I am a bit worried about the thing? Maybe my hermit will eat it lol...

Old 12/17/2007, 08:00 AM
Genuine reef addict

JB23 - congrats on the new corals (and having more patience than some us - at least me). Sure - post some pictures when you can!

gigs - I'm guessing the white thing is a sponge, bit that's only a guess based on how it looks. Have you tried to cut or brush some of it off? It does look like it's threatening the corals. Nice present from your wife!
Old 12/17/2007, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Iostream
Y-DesygnGuy Just a thought, as I saw some of this with my chiller as well. If your canister is feeding directly after the skimmer, perhaps the intake is pulling larger bubbles that get cleared easily with the baffles or just in the skimmer chamber. Once the bubbles go through the canister impaler and media, it is broken into smaller micro bubbles and returned to your tank.
I totally think your right on this. But the fact of the mater is, those bubbles shouldn't be leaving the skimmer to begin with. I planned on switching the tubing around some today, the only thing I didn't do yesterday was move the intake line to the heater chamber and the return line to the power head chamber.

I don't run any kind of skimmer on my biocube and its such a healthy tank. I am almost thinking just saying scr@w the skimmer all together...
Old 12/17/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

VOODOO!

Ok... Voodoo I tell you voodoo!

I left the skimmer off most of the day yesterday (after the install) and all night long. When I got up this morning I thought I would see what happens if I turn it back on... Ummmmm its like yesterday never happened everything is back to normal, no bubbles!

Again thanks for listening to me rant I am completely lost on why or what, who, I don't get it!
Old 12/17/2007, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Y-DesygnGuy,
Were you mucking in the tank at all. I seem to get crazy skimmer action (even with the Tunze) if I use glue or even just move stuff around enough to get the corals to slime??

If you're brave enough to remove the control panel, you can look in and see the bottom of the stock skimmer working or spewing bubbles if thats the case. Its a lot easier than trying to see bubbles rising in the other compartment.

I would recommend to everyone to remove the black sponge...not needed IMO and use filter floss or replaceable filter material instead of that white pad that looks like death after the first week. I'm pretty sure the stock sponge/filter pad impede flow enough to cause the pumps to pull MB out of the skimmer bottom. I could always reduce MB by turning off one pump which kinda proved the point.

After seeing the gunk in the stock skimmer cup after 24hrs, I'm pretty sure I need one (probably depends on bioload & overfeeding tho).
Old 12/17/2007, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

No mucking around, I try very very hard to keep my hands out of the tank(s). I spend hours looking at it plotting my next pieces location before I buy anything. Yesterday had to be a fluke I honestly do not get it.

I'll pop that control panel off and take a look, i dont mind doing that. I added 25 white led's to the light fixture last week hoping to add a little "Shimmer" to the tank so I had already taken the control off a few times for that. Needless to say the lighting on the rsm was brighter than the 25 led's so you can barely see the shimmer. But it did make for a nice way to have a dawn/dusk lighting cycle some. Instead of the lights just turning on I have the led's come on 1 hour before and go off 1 hour after.
Old 12/17/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

My clowns are having a tough time deciding on a host!!!

Old 12/17/2007, 12:24 PM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - we'll keep our fingers crossed! Maybe it was something in the new media that made the skimmer go crazy? No problem ranting - better here than at the girlfriend!

Hodge - let us know if the clowns ever find a host for them!
Old 12/17/2007, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

Weekend fun... I added a frogspawn. I found a really nice looking specimen with 6 heads, but it was in a stock nanocube display. I was pleasantly surprised to see it fully opened this morning, looking much better than it did in the nanocube.

Old 12/17/2007, 01:50 PM
Genuine reef addict

Looks nice Iostream. It'll probably open even more with time. Mine has gone from 2 heads to 7 (or 8) in about 6 months. I'm tempted to try to trade it in though - it complicates keeping anything near it as it's stung other corals, and me, in the past. I have it up in front in the left corner, mounted on a piece of LR stuck in ther gravel. I looks like a little tree now. Beautiful, but it just doesn't fit in with my wishes to have other things in that area - softies & more zoas and Rics.

Old 12/17/2007, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

Frag it.

Marty

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
Looks nice Iostream. It'll probably open even more with time. Mine has gone from 2 heads to 7 (or 8) in about 6 months. I'm tempted to try to trade it in though - it complicates keeping anything near it as it's stung other corals, and me, in the past. I have it up in front in the left corner, mounted on a piece of LR stuck in ther gravel. I looks like a little tree now. Beautiful, but it just doesn't fit in with my wishes to have other things in that area - softies & more zoas and Rics.

Old 12/17/2007, 03:08 PM
Genuine reef addict

I suppose I could frag it, bit at times I'd like to freeze it LOL. I may just ake the whole "tree" to the lfs one of these days, or put it up for sale on my local reef club's site. The problem is that I like it as much as I don't like it.
Old 12/17/2007, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

Well got all the acrylic for the RSM "D" Will start cutting tomorrow. If it goes as planned I will use the stock skimmer pump and have room for much more stuff. Can't wait to finish it. Will keep you posted!
Old 12/17/2007, 07:44 PM
Genuine reef addict

Good luck mbdave! Maybe you can start a business on the side, and grow it into something big. You might get a lot more customers than you think, including me! I hope the trip to CA went well, and that you'll have enough time to finish the "D" before you move.
Old 12/17/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...2673&siteid=20
nicest acan I have ever seen. BIG $$$$$
Old 12/17/2007, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbdave
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...2673&siteid=20
nicest acan I have ever seen. BIG $$$$$
Oh my God $999. I might go for a dive and fly some over to you mbdave. Will you put me up for a few days?
Old 12/17/2007, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

Lets face it if we all made a few more $$$$ we would consider it.....
Also you chiller guys what pump do you run for the chiller and what is the deminsions of the pump??
Old 12/17/2007, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbdave
Lets face it if we all made a few more $$$$ we would consider it.....
Also you chiller guys what pump do you run for the chiller and what is the deminsions of the pump??
Dave,
It will depend on the chiller you will run and how much flow that particular model needs.
I run an external QuietOne 1200 which does an excellent job on my Current-USA HP 1/15 chiller. Intake goes half way down right after the skimmer and the return all the way down in the heater compartment. Didn't cause any bubble mania.
I went for the external solution as I didn't wanted to have an internal pump in the skimmer compartment as this would be to much trouble (for me) to take it out every time I needed to do some cleaning or maintenance at the skimmer

Michael
MAXreefer
Old 12/17/2007, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

mbdave it is a beautiful coral - here is some info I have found on it
link here