Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2007, 11:16 PM
Moved out

I think I have WAY too much flow

Latley I have been thinking I have WAY too much flow in my tank. I've got a standard dimension 90 gallon tank with a 6100 and 6200 on a 7095 along with a 600/hr return providing current in my tank. Ive visited several friends houses and checked out their systems and I noticed the PE they are getting is MUCH better than what I am getting. I think that has a lot to do with how much flow I have as opposed to my friends tanks.

One of the nicest 90's I've seen had 3 small nano tunzes and a 600/hr return and his coloration and PE was outstanding. I got some corals from him and over time the PE has deminished a lot. I feed 2x/day with an autofeeder that I load with a concoction of several kinds of flake, pellets and cyclopeez. I do 10% weekly water changes and do my best to keep my parameters solid.

So tonight I had my hands in the tank and was thinking that it seems like the water is really whipping around in my tank considering the 6100 and 6200 running about 80% alternating about every 30 seconds. I decided to change my flow and slow it down a little. I'm going to leave it like this for a week or two and see what happens.

Anybody else notice the same thing when they had too much flow? I have read somewhere on here that having massive flow is sortof a misconception. Just as long as there are no dead spots in the tank and polyps are moving a little you should be good to go.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12/17/2007, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

I don't know...having been diving on actual ocean reefs, I have a hard time imagining any sort of power-head-induced flow being "too much" It just doesn't compare to what is seen in the wild, although I suppose if you have specific species that like to be sheltered, they could easily get too much flow.

I get very little polyp extension in my tank during the day, but a decent amount at night, and I don't turn down my Vortechs. Unless you've actually noticed more polyp extension with the reduced flow, I think I would look elsewhere for the cause. Not that its necessarily a problem, I think in nature many of these corals have reduced polyp extension during sunlit hours.

jds